MV Agusta 800 EAS - a brief fling

The news and your views about biking
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

MV Agusta 800 EAS - a brief fling

Post by Kwacky »

A lot of bikers have a mindset about certain marques of bikes. BMWs are boring, Hondas don't break down, Ducatis have crap electrics and are expensive to maintain, Triumphs are unreliable.

Mention MV and you get the same response - they're temperamental and you can't get parts.

One thing common with people who hold these views is that they've rarely owned once of these bikes. The reason they've not owned one is because someone once told them a horror story or someone knows someone who had one and they'll never have another.

At the end of 2016 I was looking to get myself a second bike. I liked the look of the MV Brutale 800RR. I mentioned it on a forum and asked for feedback on the new MV bikes. As expected I got the usual "steer clear messages" from non-owners. On the other hand, those with MVs loved them. No issues apart from 2016 models having sprag clutch problems.

I didn't get an MV, a very well priced 675 Street R came my way.

But I'm back in the hunt for another naked and today I got a ride on an 800EAS.

The dealer didn't have an 800rr which is out on loan. The EAS is the basic model. It's about 110bhp and hasn't got all of the bling of the 140bhp RR.

So I get the 800 and it's fresh back from Italy having been used for an MV event. It's still got the Italian plates on it. This bike belongs to MV, not the dealer.

First off, I'm not too keen on the colour, but I'm not buying it so it's not an issue. The screen is a bit basic, especially compared to what you get on Triumphs these days. That said, it works and you can see what you need to. It's got 4 modes - rain, normal, sport and custom. You can also change the ABS and the TC levels as well as the engine maps.

What you notice is that this bike has been built around what it needs, rather than what looks good. Given that this is the base model, there's an up and down quickshifter with auto blipper. Brembo calipers, Sachs rear shock. None of this is bling for sales, it's what works on the bike.

The seat height is spot on for me. It feels tall but both feet are flat on the floor. It's narrow. The pegs are well placed and overall it's a sporty position. The seat is firm but at no point did it feel uncomfortable. Your weight is on your hands when you're going slow. The leg position feels a bit alien at first but it becomes natural after a few minutes into the ride. Hydraulic clutch and a smooth gearbox show themselves as you pull off. The QS is really well set up and it makes a nice noise on the changes.

It's a triple engine. There seemed to be a very slight hesitation as I pulled off but there's no issues once we're off. It's got a nicer sound in stock than Triumphs triples. MV have done a better job with Euro 4 and engine noise. You're getting more of the exhaust note from this bike which sounds very sweet with a nice growling undertone to it. I had no other issues with the fuelling. I think the bike might have been sluggish at the start because it was cold.

I'm in traffic but the bike doesn't mind. Filtering is easy, the bike feels small and light and the throttle is responsive. The brakes have a nice initial bite and are certainly up to the job when you've got triple figures on the speedo and need to stop the fun. Despite it just being over the 100bhp line this thing pulls. It's not as relaxed as the 765 or Z800 or Z900 bikes. It certainly feels like it's got more power, like a middle weight boxer that wouldn't be out classed in the welterweight division. It certainly didn't mind throwing the front wheel in the air despite the TC being on. I've noticed a lot of bikes these days try to put a stop to mono fun, but not the MV.

The suspension felt top end despite not having gold and blue on the front and back. The only time it was called into question was on a very badly maintained twisty road when I was getting a shift on, but I reckon a quick change to rebound would soon sort that.

It's hard to do a write up about middleweight naked bikes at this end of the market. They're all accomplished bikes so when it comes to deciding what to buy it's down to personal taste rather than performance. The RS triumphs have lots of nice shiny stuff on them. The MV is more about what works for the bike, it's been built to a specification rather than a price. You can see that in the MV showroom as the sportsbikes want for nothing.

So would I have one? It's a tough call. The MV hasn't got the finery and accessories the Triumphs come with, but the MV has a more practical side to what's on the bike and that is carried on to the way it rides. You're more involved with the MV than you are with the Triumphs, which on their own are cracking rides, but in comparison don't have the same level of character. We are talking very fine margins here, I can see why some journos have said that the MV is too harsh and focused for the roads. But they're pussies, so feck em. Pussies.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Re: MV Agusta 800 EAS - a brief fling

Post by D6Nutz »

Good write up mate, sounds like a bike you could have a lot of fun with. Are you going to try and get a ride on the 800rr ?? Sounds like that it more comparable to the trumpets.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Head to head the EAS matches the 765RS in my opinion but it is very close. Both are excellent light weight screams that love to have the throttle cracked open.

The 1050 is bigger and lazier, but not in a bad way. If you want to chill and take in the scenery the 1050 is cool with that. But it's versatile enough to be treated like a through the rev range sports bike. The 1050 has bags of torque and that shows. The 800RR has similar BHP to the 1050, it's a lot lighter but it's hugely outclassed on the torque graph.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Must try an MV one day. It’s one of the few marques I have not ridden and their bikes do look and sound special.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

They don't scrimp on parts. They've got some lovely bikes in the dealers. It's Ducati as well.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

That taillight set-up on a single-sided swingarm looks awkward. Colours are a bit glitzy.
Black levers!!! Bulbous headlight. Subframe-titanium-looking-thing is a work of art.

When are you picking it up??
D41

Post by D41 »

Oh.....very good write-up, BTW.
Have an ice cream.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Great write up as usual. Must admit I’m one of those that have had a close friend have a horror MV ownership experience with a brand new F4 312R. I love the mechanics and looks of these bikes but the crap Aussie based support for them has always steeered me away.

Might have to go on a test ride on one myself.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

Enjoyed the review mate, only thing the played on my mind is the after sales and servicing aspect. Yes I know boring comment, but to have a dealer close is an important thing as far as I am concerned. For me at least there is nobody close :( and they seemed to have reduced in number over the years
Lovely machine, thought that since they came out...
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

They now come with a 3 year parts and labour warranty.

This dealer is 40 minutes from me.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

I reckon you will buy one.... (devil)
D41

Post by D41 »

40 minutes riding it to the dealer?? That seems reasonable-ish.

How long to push it there??

Just saying.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

C00kiemonster wrote:I reckon you will buy one.... (devil)

I am tempted. It's something a bit different. I do like the Triumphs though, but riding the 800 has made me decide that I want a bike that likes to be revved, so it's the 765RS if I get a Triumph.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Not in any way trying to put you off MV but just a heads up that when they were a Ducati dealer they got very varied reviews from very good to fecking awful.

The bike is a stunner though.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

They still are a Ducati dealer I think. They had a range of new models in there and some used stock.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

They gave up the franchise in January. I suspect that is old stock they still have.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

That dealer is 2 mins from my parents house, so i've been there a few times.

Didnt know they didnt have a Ducati franchise now. Last time i went the owner took us round the back into their storage, they had some seriously nice bikes in the back.

It's not the biggest dealer though, so i imagine Ducati have standards for size of showroom etc.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

I think it was the owners own decision from what i was told.There was no pressure from Ducati UK.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

duke63 wrote:They gave up the franchise in January. I suspect that is old stock they still have.
Good info. They've still got Ducati signs up. I suspect they still want to service ducatis.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Great Write up Kwacky. Sounds like a good bike. It's a shame they get given lots of horror stories but then again I've had friends who had had horror stories with Vauxhall cars and others who had said they are great. Best thing about buying new is it goes straight back to the dealer and they sort out issues (so no pushing for you, it gets collected in a van!!) If it were to get problems that is, not saying it would

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk