Rossgo's Rear Brake

Repairs, modifications, bling and tings
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Re: Rossgo's Rear Brake

Post by Cav »

@Blade, having used Brembo SC I too think they're amazing BUT I made the switch to SBS DC for the track and those are a far superior track pad. I did use them on the road and it was dangerous.. I could not keep heat into them!!

@Rossgo, I was going to ask about the foot resting on the brake. Maybe try going for a ride where you consciously don't use the back brake and see how hot it gets then. Furthermore, when you get home, if it is hot stick the bike on a stand and see if the wheel still spins freely or if the pads are engaged
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

@Cav - I did have a ride without using the back brake, it was to work, defo dont rest my foot on it as i tend to use my ball of my feet for the rests and even on times when i do rest on the middle i angle my foot. Its very strange. Ill defo give that a try with the stand after a run.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

@Kwacky @Blade - been looking into both of these pads. Alot of people seem to lile these Bendix MRR pads because it seems they are good even when cold or wet but do get better with heat minus the fade. @Kwacky whats the intial bite like in your opinion, i know these are your go to pads now

Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

They're spot on. You can use them all year round. Nice bite without being grabby.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

They are a good price as well. May give them a go. How many miles do you get from them?

Edit - im not too bothered if it doesnt last too long, i would prefer to change them more frequently for safe riding than carry on for years and years lol

Last edited by Rossgo on 02 Jul 2018, 09:37, edited 1 time in total.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Christ...Brembo Sintered pads ' 63 quid for one caliper. I had them in one of my last bikes, they were fanastic but thats a lot of dosh

Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I replace my pads on a regluar basis rather than when they need changing (Frankie take note!) so I couldn't tell you. They seemed to wear well without thinning the discs.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Cheers Kwacky thats an understandable practice to be fair for a bike that gets used everyday in all weathers. Nice to hear about the discs. Its easy enough to pick up pads and change them but discs is a different story!

Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

Rossgo wrote:@Cav - I did have a ride without using the back brake, it was to work, defo dont rest my foot on it as i tend to use my ball of my feet for the rests and even on times when i do rest on the middle i angle my foot. Its very strange. Ill defo give that a try with the stand after a run.

When you did this what was the temperature of the brake caliper like afterwards?
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Cav wrote:
Rossgo wrote:@Cav - I did have a ride without using the back brake, it was to work, defo dont rest my foot on it as i tend to use my ball of my feet for the rests and even on times when i do rest on the middle i angle my foot. Its very strange. Ill defo give that a try with the stand after a run.

When you did this what was the temperature of the brake caliper like afterwards?
Still warm. Its very strange as theres nothing that ive done to bugger it up! I am seriously thinking it is the heat and also the slip on too

Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

We need a photo. Where is the exhaust pointing? It shouldn't be heating up the rear brake disc.

Have you checked the spring to the rear brake on the rearset? How much adjustment is there? How much travel is there in the rear brake lever?
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Cant put a photo up! The slip on is no different to the orginal only smaller. Theres no obvious things wrong with anything

The rear piston is biting onto the pad after a millimeter or so of travel, you can just see the piston moving on the pad. When you spin the wheel it moves freely, and when you apply the rear brake it stops prefectly.

Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

I havent checked the rear lever for the brake to be fair its doing its job prefectly well

Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Small update
So getting a service done In couple of weeks. Have mentioned the rear break to them and they will be cleaning it anyway so will take a quick look over it!

Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Forgot to update. Service guy said there's nothing wrong that he could see with the rear brake and he couldn't see any evidence of it binding or wearing out anything. So I'm going to leave it alone, it works that's all it has to do!!