KTM 1090 Adventure - a brief review

The news and your views about biking
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

KTM 1090 Adventure - a brief review

Post by Kwacky »

Apologies in advance to my regular readers who have tuned in expecting one of the by now world famous oh so totes hilar top bantz Kwacky bike review. But this is more of a comparison for me, because I am the one riding the thing with a view to buying it. If you want top end sharp witted insightful and inciteful humour you've come to the wrong place.

Ok then, so on with the review (but not a review) of KTMs 1090 Adventure. This is the road version with standard rims (not spokes) and the pretty decent Tourance tyres from Metzler.

It's a 125bhp 1050cc adventure bike, costing a few pennies shy of £10k. To look at it's pretty basic. There are no flashy bits, the design is towards practical and you don't get any extras for your money, so the 12v socket, GPS mount, panniers, top box, centre stand and other pieces you expect to see just aren't there. That said, if you look closely you can find the Brembo front brakes and the WP rear shock.

It's got your standard KTM screens, one for fuel and temp, revs, gear and speed, the other for your ride details like fuel use, 2 trips, rider mode and favourites. You can change from rain to street to sport while you're on the move. There is the option to turn off the ABS and the traction control but I didn't bother.

The bike is tall. It's much taller than the Versys. At just shy of 6 foot I'm just getting both feet down. It's reasonably narrow for a two cylinder 4 stroke V. Once on the move it feels pretty light.

Wind protection is ok, it's probably the same sort of noise as I get from the Versys.

The throttle and fuelling is fine, a little bit snatchy but only if you look for it. It wouldn't bother you.

Given the specs of the power output I was expecting to be wowwed by the power. This bike is lighter and kicks out about 60bhp more than the V650 but it certainly didn't feel like it. It wasn't kicking me in the back when I cracked open the throttle and the revs seemed to run out pretty quick. I did wonder if the bike was restricted as it hadn't had it's first service, but apparently not.

Where it did stand out was winding it on during roll on tests. That extra torque showed its self and the bike soon picked up speed.

The tall seat meant a great view when I was whizzing through the traffic and the narrow tank and decent power meant filtering was a doddle.

I got off the main roads and found a mix of country lanes and tight back roads. The tyres were doing a great job considering they're supposed to be mixed for road and green lanes.

The bike handles really well. The suspension is much firmer than the on the Versys and the quality stands out. You can change direction without hesitation; naturally not at sportsbike standard but it's pretty sharp. The punch from the engine and the strong front brake combo allows you to throw the bike towards a corner, turn and then hit the GO! button the moment you're on the apex. There is some video of me but I don't want to get myself banned.

The 1090 is a great all rounder bike. I spent just under and hour and a half on it. The seat is firm but comfortable. It enjoyed being chucked about and it's happy sat at the same speed cruising on the motorway. For something like our recent trip to France it would be ideal.

But

Here comes the but

I didn't' have any more fun on it than I do on the Versys. I didn't feel that much more powerful than the V, which is surprising when you look at them on paper the KTM stomps all over the fat little Kwak. Maybe it's because I've spent so much time on the Versys I know how to get the best from it, but I didn't feel as if the KTM was beyond me or I had much more to learn from it. I'm not bragging that I'm a good rider and can got to the limits of either bike. I'm reasonably quick but I'll never be fast. Or maybe because I've owned quicker and more powerful bikes than the 1090 it didn't feel almost twice as powerful as the V. Maybe that's why the Versys suits me, I can chuck it about and kick through the gearbox without ever having to worry about the bike getting me into trouble.

95% of the Versys life is spent taking me to and from work. The insurance is cheap, the bike is reliable and going on today's test ride it's 10mpg better and it doesn't feel much slower. I thought the extra power on the 1090 would win me over, but it didn't.

So would I have a KTM 1090? Yes, without a doubt. But not now I've had the Versys. Maybe if I had gone from the Z1000Sx to the KTM then there wouldn't be an issue. but given the price difference between what the Versys is worth and the cost of a new 1090 then add in the extras I need to match the spec of the Versys it's a no-brainer. I could upgrade the Versys and replace the suspension, brake lines, and exhaust system and still be £3k better off.

So in brief: great bike, ideal for everyday use, but not worth the cost of trading in the Versys.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Re: KTM 1090 Adventure - a brief review

Post by duke63 »

I think is the best looking of the KTM Adventure Bikes. Obviously not quite the sum of its parts though.

Best wait for the 790 Adventure ;)

If you do end up with two bikes though I think I would think the same way. Keep the Versys as it’s ideal for a daily ride but buy something a bit more sporting for sunny days.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Don't get me wrong, it's a cracking bit of kit. But it's not enough of a leap for me to buy one.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

292 views, 1 comment :D

At least I know the twitter and facebook links get clicked on.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Your review/comparison was far too comprehensive and the argument well presented and justified. I had nothing to add other than to double your comment count (lol)
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

I have to say i've never been a big fan of the looks of the thing tbh.

Your Versys looks better as well as being much better value and a great bike for the roles you use it for tbh.

Now the 790 Adventure will be worth testing... :)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

The 790 will be on the test list. I'll be keeping the Versys now until next year, unless a bargain 1090 drops in my lap.
Stonesie
Your Bike: BMW R1250GSA

Post by Stonesie »

Its a really good review and i think you're right to keep the versys, it fills its role so well. But if you get a 2nd bike then it lets you get something far less sensible ;)
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Again jist repeating what everyone else says really. You need your communter to tick all the right boxes, price, fuel, insurance etc, if the 1090 isn't then stay with what you have...however if or when you are able to get a second bike then it could be on the cards!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk