Autopilot driving

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Fireball
Your Bike:

Autopilot driving

Post by Fireball »

Its crazy to totally trust limit switches, proximity switches and sensors. What was the driving thinking or did he think he,s on a plane and can fall sleep till he gets home?
|-)
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ntain-view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sir thomas blanchard
Your Bike: yamaha xj600
Location: 10 miles west of aylesbury bucks at thame which is just in oxfordshire.

Re: Autopilot driving

Post by sir thomas blanchard »

poor pedestrian and aren't they talking about driverless cars here?
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Woman steps out in the dark in front of a car. This happens all the time but doesn't make the news.

Driverless cars are safer. Get used to them, they're coming and they're going to stay.
Fireball
Your Bike:

Post by Fireball »

Kwacky wrote:
Driverless cars are safer. Get used to them, they're coming and they're going to stay.
They are great only to assist but not to be totally trusted I don,t think. (smirk)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Drivers can't be trusted, but we're happy to let them kill and maim.
Fireball
Your Bike:

Post by Fireball »

No I didn,t say that, of course not. Thats a different issue. I,m talking about giving total control to a car that only relies on sensors to work correctly.

A while ago I was driving a car which had lane control system and I let go of the steering wheel but it failed once or twice and it kept asking me to take control of it. It seems that these auto pilot systems are not for taking full control all the time and they,re only suitable for controlling the car if momentaliry driver falls sleep.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Fireball wrote:....They are great only to assist but not to be totally trusted I don,t think. (smirk)
For now, but not forever. As Kwackers pointed out ; They will be coming
(wait) When was the last time you (or anyone) sat down & checked long-hand, a mathematical calculation that had been done on a calculator.??

Computers & technology will continue to improve, we will rely on it increasingly & cease to need to develop ourselves physically or mentally.

IMHO as technology self develops the electronics will eventually become self-aware. AI will be born & a new phase in the Universe will begin.

Like that mudhopper 400 million years ago, we will have been integral to the new phase, however we will also be about as important to it as mudhoppers are to us.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Not sure of my position on driverless cars but I get Kwackys point they are coming and something we will need to embrace.

Positives is driverless cars won't be using there mobile, intoxicated, tied, uninsured or suffering road rage.
Fireball
Your Bike:

Post by Fireball »

They still have to be insured Blade but the rest are good positives for sure. (rock)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Fireball wrote:No I didn,t say that, of course not. Thats a different issue. I,m talking about giving total control to a car that only relies on sensors to work correctly.
Sensors that are on 100% of the time, that aren't distracted by good looking people, adverts, changing radios, lighting a cigarette. Sensors that haven't had a bad day at work, have forgotten to adjust their mirrors after their other half borrowed the car, senors that didn't have a row before leaving the house, that might still be drunk from the night before or didn't get enough sleep.

The tech is improving. You might have had a bad experience with a car in the early stages of development, but when you ride every day, you can count at least 50 cars each time I ride into work that lane drift or switch lanes without warning.

It wasn't that long ago when people were saying there's no place for computers in the workplace, they're slow, expensive, limited and a distraction.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

We'll pay them the same amount of attention we give a bus driver or a train engineer, airline pilot, etc.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Planes fly themselves and no one kicks off about that.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Fireball wrote:They still have to be insured Blade but the rest are good positives for sure. (rock)
That's what I have said. They won't be uninsured.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Kwacky wrote:Planes fly themselves and no one kicks off about that.
Agree but to be fair planes have Pilots to intervene if required. By their very name I'm not sure driveless cars will have this benefit.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Long term maybe, but for now all car manufacturers are looking to produce cars with full control available for drivers. The governement is also insisting that there be a person in charge of a vehicle and that person has a car licence. All vehicles will be insured as well. Some of the car manufacturers have said that they wil insure their vehicles.

Vehicles on the road HAVE to be insured. There is never going to be a day when that isn't the case.
Fireball
Your Bike:

Post by Fireball »

In my line of work I see sensors and switches failing all the time and computer programmes that develop bugs all of a sudden and throw everything around suddenly for no reason. Therefore although technology is great and artificial intelligence is improving all the time but I doubt it that in our time we would see a car that can be totally trusted on auto pilot.

Just like the planes they will run on auto pilot but there has to be a driver in control if needed. You and I will never be able to fall sleep in the car and wake up again when we get to our final destination.That will be decades or even centuries away even if it ever happens.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Ray you can get different Safety Integrity Levels (SiL 1 to 4) for instruments and you could employ triple redundancy if needed.

Simple systems with low risk fail yes. But high integrity systems can prove almost fail free.

Also remember any high level SiL instunentations sensors would most likely be a service item in any future design, where as alot of current sensors in vehicles are not classed as failure safety critical so not a good comparison.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Even in planes with auto-pilot switched off pilots only have partial control/input....a modern plane, left purely to human control, would simply fall out of the sky.
I think one of the biggest hold-ups to this sort of thing being accepted is ego.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

D41 wrote:a modern plane, left purely to human control, would simply fall out of the sky.
What a load of dribble
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
sir thomas blanchard
Your Bike: yamaha xj600
Location: 10 miles west of aylesbury bucks at thame which is just in oxfordshire.

Post by sir thomas blanchard »

there's the docklands railway that has been running for years without drivers, goes quite slow though.