Nutz's 990 Superduke

The news and your views about biking
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Re: Nutz's 990 Superduke

Post by C00kiemonster »

D6Nutz wrote:
C00kiemonster wrote:They look nice. What doesn't is the black bolts in the old mirror holes imo.
Really, oh. I thought the black would look better than some billet ones that fine match the bars. They where only £8 so I might change them..
Only my opinion - if you like them keep them!

I'm a bit OCD over the same colour as the clamps, but thats just me :D
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

I don't like the mirrors!

You can't get them over the bars as the stem is too short to clear the gloves. I can't get one of then done up tight enough, and also it keeps snagging the clutch lever. They also make the grips feel really cramped.

For the few fleeting seconds they stayed in the right place the rear visibility was great.

Back to the drawing board.....
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Scuff
Your Bike: KTM 690 ER

Post by Scuff »

I use these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Univers ... SwEzxYZxMM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are two ways to mount the mirror , either in the end of the bar weight as the picture shows or alternatively you can swap the mirror to the securing hole and secure the mirror from the end of the weight ..... Thats not a great description, sorry (blush)

Only negative I can think of is things in the the mirror are closer than you think ...... that may b my eye sight though ;)
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Cheers, they're a good shout (especially the price) but in looking for something a bit more angular, and now I would really prefer a mirror that rises up over the gloves rather than sticking out.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Just ditch them Jon.

They probably spend a lot of time looking at the ground anyway (giggle)
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I've got some aftermarket mirrors that mount in the same place, but they dont' stick out too far. Do you want to try those?
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Kwacky wrote:I've got some aftermarket mirrors that mount in the same place, but they dont' stick out too far. Do you want to try those?
Anything that sticks out will be a problem getting though the side gate, I even managed to scrape these ones...

Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I would be very surprised if they went past the end of the handlebars, they didn't on the Versys.
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Kwacky wrote:I would be very surprised if they went past the end of the handlebars, they didn't on the Versys.
Yeah, OK mate. Could I give then a try.

Blade

Post by Blade »

Maybe try it with no mirrors and see how you get on
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Blade wrote:Maybe try it with no mirrors and see how you get on
On a bike it's a good idea to know who's behind you, IMO...

Blade

Post by Blade »

Aren't they just something disappearing further and further behind you :P
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

I tried riding without mirrors a couple of times after I did the old zx6 up to look like the sykes rep coz they just ruined the look IMO but I just hated it, so they went back on pretty sharpish, shame you don't like those mirrors nutz I was seriously considering some but not so sure now.
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Cavetroll87 wrote: shame you don't like those mirrors nutz I was seriously considering some but not so sure now.
Once I've got then back off again your more than welcome to try them. They look like a genetic fit rather than a bike specific. They may suit you more than me..

Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

D6Nutz wrote:
Cavetroll87 wrote: shame you don't like those mirrors nutz I was seriously considering some but not so sure now.
Once I've got then back off again your more than welcome to try them. They look like a genetic fit rather than a bike specific. They may suit you more than me..
Cheers mate, woudnt say no.
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Cavetroll87 wrote:
D6Nutz wrote:
Cheers mate, woudnt say no.
Looks like it's going to be another couple of weeks as 3 pistons are moving and have shut their web store...

Fitted some m7's today, my god what a transformation to the ride. Feels a lot more settled in the bends, and the feedback from the tyres is back to the level I'm used to.

Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Thats fine mate, honestly in no rush buddy
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

So we had a fun day together, me and my KTM. All started fairly mundanely with an oil and filter change, the hand book is excellent and describes the process well an has pictures.

It would appear that the oil level sight tube is a bit of a weak point and the pressure of a full tank of oil split it. It took me a few test runs to work out where the oil was coming from..

Props to premier bikes, my local KTM place. They had the party on stock so I rode over (stopping many times to keep the oil under control) when I got there they took the bike straight in, one of the sales blokes also have me a lift so I could get lunch.

After that trauma I needed some therapy so came home on the back roads (devil) full hooligan mode was engaged.

This evening saw my longest motorway ride with the KTM. Just over 2 hours. I'm pleasantly surprised at how comfortable it is for that amount of time and also how little wind blast you get.

The headlight is pretty good too, but the dash looks like a games console when lit.

There was a little treat to from the post man. I'll try and get pics tomorrow of there is a gap in the rain.

D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Nice new mirrors :D

One of the old ones broke a little, so these came just in the nick of time.ImageImageImage

MichaelWilliams
Your Bike: Yamaha, Kawasaki

Post by MichaelWilliams »

D6Nutz wrote:
C00kiemonster wrote:
D6Nutz wrote:Tried out the akra specific map today. Oh my god, it's like a different bike.

Down low it's still a bit jumpy, but that will always be the case apparently. It has 2 fuel maps and if you catch it just as it's switching it can give that jerkiness. I guess that's some character ;)

After that the fueling is so smooth there was a phenq review here I though I'd done something wrong and robbed the bike of a load of power, the speedo quickly confirmed this was not the case. The only real downside is it doesn't pop so much on overrun anymore :(
Good work!

The other thing to watch is chain tension - check it regularly. My RC8 really doesn't like a loose chain low down on the power curve and that makes it a little more jerky.
(y) cheers mate, good to know. I've not checked it since I've had it. Job for next weekend.

The RSV hated a loose chain too, clutchless shifts where impossible when it was loose
My RSV gave me a lot of problems until I found out that the cause was loose chain. Now I check it once in a while.