Rattling the charity tin

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Rattling the charity tin

Post by D6Nutz »

Backstory, my dad had a heart attack just over a year ago and was very lucky to survive. Unfortunately earlier this year my sister-in-laws father wasn't quite so lucky.

I decided a couple of months back to do a challenge to raise some money, and that date is now nearly upon me. On Tuesday I take on the national three peaks challenge, this involves walking the three highest peaks in Scotland (Ben Nevis), England (Scafell Pike), and Wales (Snowdon) all within a 24 hour timeframe. I'm hoping to raise some money for the British Heart Foundation to help their amazing work into helping people survive and recover from heart conditions.

If you can spare a couple of quid I'm sure they would be very grateful.

https://www.justgiving.com/page/jon-bon ... =pfp-share

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Rattling the charity tin

Post by Kwacky »

Remind me at the end of the week when I get paid.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Sort.

Couldn’t select gift aid as I’m not a UK resident/taxpayer.

Good luck mate (y)
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Kwacky wrote:Remind me at the end of the week when I get paid.
Cheers mate, will do.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

kiwikrasher wrote:Sort.

Couldn’t select gift aid as I’m not a UK resident/taxpayer.

Good luck mate (y)
Cheers mate, very much appreciated

D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

D6Nutz wrote:
Kwacky wrote:Remind me at the end of the week when I get paid.
Cheers mate, will do.

Cheers for the donation kwacky, it's appreciated.

D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

So the write-up.

I expected it to be tough, but oh my god. I've done some endurance events in my time but that absolutely takes the biscuit.

A little bit of background that will make sense in a minute. Reading on their website they said they carried cold and hot water to make pasta pots, etc... for 24 hours you need a fair bit of food so I opted for pasta and noodle pots along with instant porridge.

1 - Ben Nevis (Scotland). After a rubbish night's sleep I made my way to the meet point after having a porridge pot at the hotel. It was too early for breakfast. We were just about to set off so I made my second porridge pot to get me loaded up. A shout from one of the instructors, "oi mate, you can't have hot food or drinks in the van". Feck, that's my whole nutrition strategy out of the window.
Nothing else to do at the point but bin it of, get in the van, and get to the mountain. The target time was 5 hours, just for reference the average walker takes 7 hours.
It was hot, but I was focused. Completed the mountain in 4:56. But it took its toll. I ran out of water with 45 mins to go, so we'd a bit dehydrated when I got back to the minibus.

An quick cup of tea, and start the 6 hour drive to Scafell pike. Due to the food situation I had nothing really to eat for 3 hours until we stopped at some really shit services. I managed to grab some stuff and we carried on. My heart rate was way too high though, indicating I hadn't eaten enough and was dehydrated. This meant I wasn't recovering properly.

2 - Scafell Pike (England). As I got out of the van I knew I was in trouble. But I wasn't going to quit.
Within 30 mins of starting the climb my pace has dropped right off and I was sweating uncontrollably. I forced myself on, but after about 1 hour 30 and within about 30 mins of the summit I had to call it. I probably could have made the summit, but would then have had to give 100% effort on the way down and with 1 mountain left to go out didn't seem worth killing myself over. So I sat with the mountain guide looking over at the Isle of Mann and recounting some tankslap stories while the sun set. After that we turned and made our way down.

At the bottom the crew had made porridge and all I had at least 10-15 mins until the rest of the group got down I made the most of the time and ate. Porridge, pasta, pastries, anything I could find. As the rest of the group made it down we started the slog over to Snowdon.
As it was 11pm by that time everyone was getting tired and we tried to sleep, but for most including myself it wasn't very successful.

3 - Snowdon (Wales) I was like a new man as I got out of the minibus, kitted up in minutes and ready to go. It was 4:30am as we started to climb and the sky had just started to brighten up. While tired I was smashing the climb and was feeling good. The guide event commented on how much better I looked. My heart rate was back to normal and I gave it my all. Unfortunately the summit was going to be just out of reach. We had a 75 year old guy who submitted the previous 2 mountains, but really struggled with Snowdon. As we waited for him at the top of each climb section the minutes ticked past. By the time we reached the decision point we were about 20 mins over time so we had to turn and head down.

I'm slightly disappointed by missing 2 summits, but looking at the maps I was probably about 80 meters elevation from each. It was an awesome experience, but not one I'll be rushing to repeat.

The charity pot made it to £575, so thank you very much to those who were able to make a donation, very much appreciated.

Some stats just for fun. On Tuesday and Wednesday, so including getting home:

60,000 steps
33 miles
620 floors
9000 calories burned

Today, I'm ****!

Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Nice going mate. It's a shame about the rules for hot food. That doesn't make much sense, did they say why hot stuff was banned?
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Kwacky wrote:Nice going mate. It's a shame about the rules for hot food. That doesn't make much sense, did they say why hot stuff was banned?
The boss said it was something about VOSA rules, but the guys in the van said it only changed a few weeks back as they had a really messy group that trashed the van with hot food.

It's just a shame it wasn't on the website or I would have chosen very differently.

C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Feck me.

I’ve climbed all 3 but no way would I do them one after another 😄

You have earnt many hero points sir 👍🏻
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Galant effort mate!

Real shame about the food situation, and like you say, totally avoidable if you’d been given the right information.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.