Tyres, the great debate

The news and your views about biking
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Tyres, the great debate

Post by Kwacky »

I thought I would continue the discussion here rather than hi-jack Rocket's thread about his new bike.

I can tell the difference between tyres. I can tell when the pressure is too low or too high, or when the tyres are going off. The only way I can tell if they're not warm if when they slip or slide.

If I'm happy with a tyre I don't pay them much attention.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Re: Tyres, the great deabte

Post by Perkles »

I can't tell one tyre from another on the road nor tyre pressures I can a bit on track but I'm pushing things harder then
I can tell however suspension changes and set ups .
the m7rr,s on kwackys zx6r really do impress me they seem to be able to do everything well
Last edited by Perkles on 12 Apr 2015, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Apart from maxis diamonds, I haven't found a tyre yet that I can't get on with. The biggest things for me are stability and feedback. I do think the bike is a big factor though, the CBR has Avon vipers on it and I couldn't tell you what they are like as I don't know enough about the bike yet.

With the RSV I know the bike so well, and like kwacky can tell when the pressures are out or tyres are wearing.

My thoughts are similar to kwacky as well, once I've got tyres I like and the suspension set well in really not that fussed about them. It just means I can get on with what I really enjoy, riding.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Very personal thing and subjective to feel and confidence IMO.

Some people can just get on a bike and go fast (stoner) and others (pedrosa) are more fragile and need everything to be perfect but when it is there unbeatable.
R1ckster
Your Bike: Tiger 800XC

Post by R1ckster »

Always used to believe it was hard to tell. However on the third session at brands on some PR4 I contemplated coming back in and I didn't do the last session. Felt like I was riding on oily tyres..the weirdest feeling I've ever known. But would praise them to anyone in session one as felt great.. REALLY can tell tyre feel on track... As for road riding bit harder imo
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

Just the other day I knew my tyres were not at the correct pressure. Its only about 4psi out (front was at 31ish and rear about 36) but it does make a difference to the confidence.

When you pump the tyres back up, all of a sudden I can lean more and feel safer.

I generally have all round tyres, and in the dry they are similar. However in the wet some tyres offer significantly more confidence, and to me this is more important.

The only thing I would say is that when I was given some Pirelli supercorsa SP thingies to try out, in the dry on a corner it felt like they were glued to the tarmac. Really good.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

I only ever used BT021-023's on the triumph. Had a couple of cold slides but that was way ham fisted behaviour in the first 2-3 minutes of riding. The only comparison I have is the Racetec K3's on the ZX10r and I do remember thinking, 'I'd be on my arse if this was the Triumph!' while leaning the beast. Very confidence inspiring
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

kiwikrasher wrote:I only ever used BT021-023's on the triumph. Had a couple of cold slides but that was way ham fisted behaviour in the first 2-3 minutes of riding. The only comparison I have is the Racetec K3's on the ZX10r and I do remember thinking, 'I'd be on my arse if this was the Triumph!' while leaning the beast. Very confidence inspiring
I got, my knee ,exhaust can and toe sliders down on my Ducati monster fitted with Oem bt10s,I think you would be surprised how well the bt021s-023s would stick on track
I fancy a set of racetecks k3s for my next fast road track day tyre,what are yours wearing like ?
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Perkles wrote:
kiwikrasher wrote:I only ever used BT021-023's on the triumph. Had a couple of cold slides but that was way ham fisted behaviour in the first 2-3 minutes of riding. The only comparison I have is the Racetec K3's on the ZX10r and I do remember thinking, 'I'd be on my arse if this was the Triumph!' while leaning the beast. Very confidence inspiring
I got, my knee ,exhaust can and toe sliders down on my Ducati monster fitted with Oem bt10s,I think you would be surprised how well the bt021s-023s would stick on track
I fancy a set of racetecks k3s for my next fast road track day tyre,what are yours wearing like ?
Yeah I was getting my knee down on the BT's too, but the last track day I did on them they got way too hot and shagged them. The front was bright blue. That said, I didn't notice anything till I got off (well crashed, but that was the wheel bearing not the tyres) and looked at them. A track offical give me a rev up for using those tyres in the group I was in. The only time I felt any difference in them was dropping from road pressures to track pressure, first lap they'd feel all spongy, then when warm they felt fine. Ilike you Perkles, i read all this talk of tyre feedback and feel like a plonker. For my experience so far they either have me upright or on my arse, I don't notice much in between. Hopefully that will change with some more consistent tarck time

Only did the one session on the K3's so no wear to speak of yet. Got a track day in just over a week so I'll have a better idea, I'll give you as much feedback as my limited knowledge will allow.
Last edited by kiwikrasher on 12 Apr 2015, 22:40, edited 1 time in total.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

Perkles, you need to go racing, recon you'll either crash or win.

You can think too much when it comes to tyres, I just try and listen to what my bum is saying and hope it's right!
Monty™© MCMLXXII
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Re: Tyres, the great debate

Post by duke63 »

Running sport touring tyres on a trackday when its hot will overheat the tyres eventually even at a average pace. Then they will lose all grip at some point.

They are fine for all types of road use nowadays though to my mind.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Re: Tyres, the great debate

Post by D41 »

I've nearly always used SCs....I like them and they seem very preditable ....Dunlop seem decent too....I think most modern tyres are pretty good as lpng as you stay on top of the pressures.....factory specs are usually pretty close for the road and pretty close for the track....I expect that every track being different doesn't help.