Halal meat

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Re: Halal meat

Post by StMarks »

Babyblade I think I read somewhere that if you eat too much long pork it has a physiological effect. (In case you were thinking of a new staple diet based round Barbecued Builder)
Stew wrote:.....maybe if we had to slaughter the meat ourselves we might see it differently.
Frankly, that's what galls me.: I see those pointless slobs at Asda buying their packets of chops or rolled joint of beef, and think how wrong it is.
In the wild, I expect Mac would probably target them ahead of less harmful & more challenging prey, like deer.
Last edited by StMarks on 08 May 2014, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

My Mrs is Veggie due to the way animals are looked after, I couldnt do it I just enjoy meat too much but we do ensure everything we buy is free range meat, infact we normally try and get it from farm shops or butchers so we can be sure we have tried to do everything we can to make sure we only got decent quality stuff, and if they are sold out then I just have to go without, I think the most important thing is to be aware of what it is we are buying and be aware that at one point it was another life, scares me when I see people that dont realise what they are eating.
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

I get all my meat from an abattoir that has a farm shop. I know exactly where the animals come from but never thought to ask how they are killed. Will ask next time I'm in.

The meat is a good ten times better than the crap the supermarkets sell and nearly half the cost. I can get half a lamb kidneys and all for 45 quid. We freeze it and it does a family of 6 for 3 months. Well 5 really as Sarah is vegetarian.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Stew
Your Bike: GPZ900R and Z650 B3

Post by Stew »

Funnily enough I was just being a pointless slob in Asda ;) and decided to get a couple of tuna steaks instead of my usual 2 steaks for £7, thing is if you think about it fish are basically allowed to 'drown' in air with no form of humane despatch whatsoever but no one cares about fish I suppose, I honestly don't think that a lot of people see lamb as a food source and lamb as a baby animal frolicking in a pasture in the same frame of mind tbh, same with veal, makes you wonder.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

) Half a lambs kidney for 45 quid is a bit steep for me Monty (giggle)
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

I'm not very good with commas!
Monty™© MCMLXXII
bb41
Your Bike: GSXR750

Post by bb41 »

My great gramp had a village shop and it's where all house wives did their shopping.

It sold the usual eggs , cheese , butter , veggies and meat. Everything was made or reared at the shop and obviously the family lived at the back of the shop with a small field attached.
But yes it did have the dreaded pole axe thing at the back where the animal was bought in from the field and despatched there and then. My great gramp butchered it himself and hung it in the cold store .

I think I still have the odd nightmare knowing what went on there but I suppose to modern methods was marginally better.

It is now no longer and it was bought by a developer some years back and is now home to posh apartments
Live each day as your last as one day you'll be right !!
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

This country is far too used to having cheap food. 50 years ago food would take up a large chunk of family income.

I'm more than happy to pay more for good quality food and in particular farm traceable meat.

We get some stuff from our friend's farm. My kids give our Christmas turkey a name when it's a chick :D
Blade

Post by Blade »

I know there is no such thing as Christian meat that has to be slaughtered by an actual Christian in a religious act but imagine if there was and the food outlets sold this without informing there customers. There would be out cry.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I know B&Q has stopped selling nails and wood in case it offends Christians.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Personally I don't give a flying funk about the religion aspect.
People can do all the chanting & crap the want, if that's what turns them on. I won't effect the food one dot IMHO.

However I really do resent any suffering that is resultant from such outmoded activities.
Blade

Post by Blade »

(giggle) Pmsl
Blade

Post by Blade »

Just read this which by the sounds of it some food outlets are merely buying the left over scraps because there cheap not because their halal.

Lewis Grant, of the Veterinary Public Health Association, said cuts left over from animals which have been slaughtered for halal and kosher meat often enter the general meat trade and people do not realise they are eating it.
Blade

Post by Blade »

StMarks wrote:Personally I don't give a flying funk about the religion aspect.
People can do all the chanting & crap the want, if that's what turns them on. I won't effect the food one dot IMHO.

However I really do resent any suffering that is resultant from such outmoded activities.
I agree with you. I personally don't have any concern over the religious element of slaughter and my ptime concern would be animal welfare but I was just try to point out how different it would be if certain aspects of this issue were reversed.
Mac
Your Bike: '04 Triumph Daytona

Post by Mac »

Stew wrote:maybe if we had to slaughter the meat ourselves we might see it differently.
I guess I fall into this category. As many of you know, I'm a hunter. I only hunt the animals I'm going to eat, and hunt in areas where the game is so prevelant that hunting is one of the few ways to manage the population. Therefore, the red meat that I eat lives in the woods eating acorns, and my buddy's soybean crops all year until I shoot it in the head or I miss and it runs off to continue eating my mate's crops. Not to be graphic, but I aim for the head because it's either instantaneous or a miss, with reduced likelihood of a wounded animal. I honestly haven't bought supermarket beef in a long, long time as we eat venison instead. At times I take my deer to a small processor who packages it for me, but often I dress out and package the animal myself. If anything, that process makes me respect nature more and everything that it provides for me and my family. I realize that's a far cry from what Stew probably intended, and to be fair, I doubt very seriously that I could club a cow unconscious and slit it's throat while working in a slaughterhouse.
"When in doubt use full throttle. It may not improve the situation but it will end the suspense ".
Stew
Your Bike: GPZ900R and Z650 B3

Post by Stew »

I think at the heart of this whole argument though is that its an Islamic practise to slaughter the animals in a certain way, apparently its quite close to Kosher in the way thats its done and of course we're pre supposing our abbatoirs are all above board, one minute you're watching Peppa pig with the kids, next minute youre eating him
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

At least you know Peppa isn't halal.