LapTop help please .....

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Spudda
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650 aka 'Doris'

LapTop help please .....

Post by Spudda »

The laptop I usually use is a works laptop and although they're fine with me using it out of work time, they do scrutinize the usage.

I've managed to get another Laptop but I cant get it to pick up the wifi

Its a Advent 7102 and the icons on the bottom right of the screen show the monitors with a red cross through them.
Its as if I need to flick switch on the laptop for it to pick up the wifi.

Ive Googled it and I need to press fn +F11 apparently but that does sweet FA

Anything else I could try ??
It's Nice To Be Important BUT Its Important To Be Nice ©
R34PER
Your Bike: Yamaha XJ6-N

Re: LapTop help please .....

Post by R34PER »

Had a quick look, the wireless on/off button is apparently next to the power button on that model according to a couple of sources I looked at.

IF not have a look around the laptop for a switch or button with a wireless or network logo.
R34PER
Your Bike: Yamaha XJ6-N

Re: LapTop help please .....

Post by R34PER »

Soft ways of getting round the button not working on these lifted from a tech site:
UKT Support wrote:go into Device Manager, select the Marvell Wireless card and then go to Properties>Advanced>Default Adhoc Mode. Here change the Default Adhoc mode to B or G. When you confirm the change the wireless connection should become active, if it doesn't then press the wireless button and try changing the setting again.

The third method is to create a desktop shortcut to the wireless adapter. Go to [Network and Sharing Centre]>[Manage Network Connections] and then right click the wirless connection and choose Create Shortcut. You can then switch on the wireless at any time, just point at the shortcut then right click and chose Disable. Once its disabled right click on the shortcut again and choose Enable. It should then connect within 20-30 seconds.