Getting Back In The Saddle

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Getting Back In The Saddle

Post by Blade »

I spent the last two days getting or trying to get my riding skills back up to speed. Biggest area in need of improvement was quite a surprise. It was not cornering as i would have expected but adjusting to the savage acceleration of a modern Sportsbike.

In fairness I haven't ridden for 6 months and probably only driven 500 miles during that same 6 months as I use public transport a lot, therefore my skills were at a lower level than most. However all that aside it was a huge shock to the system how quick a modern bike is when the throttle is held wide open on the stop. I can only describe the acceleration as shockingly savage.

Do other people find recalibrating the speed sensor so mind blowing after a lay off ?
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Re: Getting Back In The Saddle

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Can honestly say on the road I dont think Ive ever had the throttle back to the stop and mines only a 600, I found my 1st time on track it took me ages to get used to the feeling of the acceleration when using the throttle more 'vigorously' so I get what your saying entirely and do think it takes a while to recalibrate your mind to the speed of riding fast.

Also glad you managed to get back on the bike btw, I know from your posts that was bugging you! (y)
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
DaytonaBuff
Your Bike:

Post by DaytonaBuff »

Just take it easy mate. Remember to keep your head up for vision, relax and don't lock arms, concentrate on using core muscles. Grip tank with thighs under braking. The usual advice... Maybe reread a bit of Keith Code on body positioning. After months on the bus you're bound to be in awe of the acceleration. Try parking the blade and sp next to each other, wait for half an hour and then tut as "2 come along at once". Basically work back up to the level you were at slowly and safely. And let me keep up going up Long Hill until then!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
My name is Buff, and I have Carbon Fibrosis.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Like I said on another thread I had to recalibrate my brain going from an old monster to a superbike.Take it easy and don't rush things
Blade

Post by Blade »

Cheers for all the comments guys.

Don't get me wrong its not a confidence issue its just I had forgot what it felt like holding a 170bhp missle wide open on the stop.
Monty
Your Bike: 2010 ZX6R

Post by Monty »

The biggest thing I noticed going from riding all year to fair weather riding is the speed my brain can take in information. Or rather can't.

I've gone from commuting in London almost every day to the odd day in summer and the brain definitely isn't as sharp.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Blade

Post by Blade »

I feel exactly the same Monty.

I really need to get more mileage under my belt and sharpen up my skills. I just need time in the saddle I guess.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Your not alone mate,. Even though I use the bike throughout the winter it still takes some adjustment when the better weather comes round.

You get so used to just commuting and being so gentle with the throttle that when you finally get some grip and open the throttle hard it's still a shock. I had a little play today with a Z4 who though he'd try and out drag me, pulling the throttle only about 3/4 open still had be wide eyed.

I'm hoping this sunday will give some dry miles and get my mind back into the summer riding mindset.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Tricky
Your Bike:

Post by Tricky »

dont ride on the road anymore so i look at getting back in the saddle differently, 1 session of a track day and im away.
Blade

Post by Blade »

How many track days do you do in a year tricky
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

I didn't ride for a few months from October I think it was, all the way to Feb and when I got back to atcually riding it was on a different bike.

I used to ride everyday and it really does make you a better rider, just everything you have to take in from something simple as looking at signs all the way to what's this road surface like, camber, potholes etc. And when I first took my bike out with some lads from 675 forum and I realised even on roads I knew I was not confident at all.

I'm trying to get back onto the Bike as much as possible and will try to get out even in the rain, but not using the Bike as often is a certain killer to skills.

Wales will defo be a good test of skills this coming Sunday :-)
Tricky
Your Bike:

Post by Tricky »

Blade wrote:How many track days do you do in a year tricky
track days and racing in a year i try to get into double figures, but there is always a break between Nov - Feb ish.
Blade

Post by Blade »

That's pretty good going you ever get up to Oulton Park.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Blade wrote:How many track days do you do in a year tricky
I suspect I can safely answer that for him.: "not nearly enough", how ever many he manages. ;)

Fwiw I don't stop riding in the winter, so do not have this same seasonal re-adjustment. However over my time there have been numerous times when circumstances have enforced periods of "biking celibacy" on me.

It always takes me a while to re-calibrate, and with hindsight I am able to observe that the time to reconfigure takes longer as I increasingly "mature". Without exception I find I am overreaching my depleted skills initially, as my remembered accomplishments exceed my recalled skillz. :(

I would always suggest you take it easier than you think is appropriate, because your enthusiasm will always move you forward in due course.

I only wish I was smart enough to be able to be able to take my own advice..... (wasntme)
bb41
Your Bike: GSXR750

Post by bb41 »

know that feeling, from many years of riding in all weathers (couldn't afford a car) I am now a fair weathered rider.

I usually park up in October and depend on the weather sometime in March she comes out again.

I accept my limitations as each year my reflexes are a little less sharp as each year goes by and my track days are no more.

I ride solo as I prefer it that way, so first few times of going out I pick roads I know and stop lots of times and just remind myself that although I don't use the power I have it's nice to know it's there if I need it, Plus just the sheer joy I have getting back home in one piece !!!

Seriously though what I do is frowned on by many, but my days of being a riding god are over for me, (not that I was ever one in the first place) but as long as you enjoyed it then that power aint going anywhere and yes it is always a bit intimidating
Live each day as your last as one day you'll be right !!