Job Losses

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Job Losses

Post by Kwacky »

I thought I would do a new thread keeping track of the jobs going. Some will be Covid related, some due to brexit, some due to the economy or because of all 3.

John Lewis will be closing its flagship store in Birmingham

Rolls Royce and Burger King have also announced job losses.

I think we're in for 1980s level of unemployment soon.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Re: Job Losses

Post by duke63 »

JLR losing 2 out of every 5 jobs.

Skills will be more important than ever.

I really would like to see Britain take the lead into a very green future (because it is the future) but everything we see from Boris and Cummings points the other way.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Kwacky wrote:
I think we're in for 1980s level of unemployment soon.
It feels like that, doesn't it??
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Boots have just announced 4,000 jobs too be cut.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

The High St has no option but to change but it was going that way anyway.

The day of the big multinational retailers may be coming to an end.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

It would be nice to think that people would return to the high street, but the recent change in footfall being reported by independents suggests that the public is going back to the larger stores
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

duke63 wrote:JLR losing 2 out of every 5 jobs.

Skills will be more important than ever.

I really would like to see Britain take the lead into a very green future (because it is the future) but everything we see from Boris and Cummings points the other way.
I am working on a very interesting vertical farming project based in the UK thats also an eco related project , I am praying its takes off and doesnt get shipped overseas to develop
duke63

Post by duke63 »

https://www.thsh.co.uk/news/a-statement ... AOVC_SZpVM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another sad day. makes you wonder what will be left after all this.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

That's terrible news. The arts are being hit really hard.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

duke63 wrote:..... makes you wonder what will be left after all this.
:(
D41

Post by D41 »

That looks like Sunderland.

On a good day.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

There was plenty of foresight that this was coming.

If people had social distanced and been stricter in obeying guide lines, then perhaps we would be in a better place right now, as more business's could have stayed open and avoided so many job losses.

I know people will argue we had to shutdown everything but did we? Its open now. Why couldnt we have kept more buinesss open, simply by using the controls that we are using today?
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Because many hospitals were full and could not cope with any more patients and because many of the public could not be trusted to do the right thing ( and still can not).

The second wave of these is usually harder than the first, we will have to see what happens i guess.
D41

Post by D41 »

Blade wrote:There was plenty of foresight that this was coming.

If people had social distanced and been stricter in obeying guide lines, then perhaps we would be in a better place right now, as more business's could have stayed open and avoided so many job losses.

I know people will argue we had to shutdown everything but did we? Its open now. Why couldnt we have kept more buinesss open, simply by using the controls that we are using today?
It reads as if you're at odds with yourself there. I'm not understanding how stricter adherence to the guidelines would have kept more businesses open??
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

duke63 wrote:https://www.thsh.co.uk/news/a-statement ... AOVC_SZpVM

thats absolutely awful ,talking to business owners this week we havent seen the start of the aftermath yet
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Perkles wrote:
duke63 wrote:https://www.thsh.co.uk/news/a-statement ... AOVC_SZpVM

thats absolutely awful ,talking to business owners this week we havent seen the start of the aftermath yet
I think your right Perkles, with the furlough scheme the government is almost brewing a perfect storm.

The economy is undoubtedly suffering the effects of brexit and this has been further compounded by the effects of lockdown. When the transition period ends I think there will be another period of instability as companies adjust to the new setup and costs of doing business.

At a time when businesses will undoubtedly be looking to reduce overheads and consolidate you get this
Job Retention Bonus

The Chancellor has announced (as part of the Plan for Jobs 2020) that the government will introduce a one-off payment of £1,000 to UK employers for every furloughed employee who remains continuously employed through to the end of January 2021.
Which I fear will mean companies take the money, keep people on to comply with the rules, then make then redundant in January when the country could already be at its weakest.

I really hope this isn't the case as my contact will be up for renewal in December.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

The economy is undoubtedly suffering the effects of brexit and this has been further compounded by the effects of lockdown. When the transition period ends I think there will be another period of instability as companies adjust to the new setup and costs of doing business.

What I am seeing on a daily basis when visiting customers is cheap reliable labour going back home due to Brexit and Covid
Unfortunately UK born youth wont take up these jobs as they are deemed to hard and they would rather be on benefits
It means I am getting a large number of enquiries for Automation but the companies dont have cash to spend .I haven't got an answer just what I am seeing visiting small and large companies all struggling and worried about their future
Cheap meal vouchers by the govermnat is quite franlkly a joke and a PR stunt it wont help any of this mess
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Wife's friend was made redundant today.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

The latest official employment data shows a record fall in self employment (down 178k for the quarter) but apparently there's about half a million people who are classed as employed but not getting any pay. Overall unemployment has increased by 650k between March and June. Most jobs were lost at the start of that quarter.

The number of people starting new jobs has halved since the start of March and is showing no signs of improving despite the easing of lockdown.

As the retention scheme starts to be phased out there could be up to 1m jobs at risk (HM Revenue and Customs figures).

Despite the information being available and on some government sites, officially unemployment remains static at 3.9% despite benefit claimant numbers going from 2.3m in April to 2.8m in May.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Kwacky wrote:The latest official employment data shows a record fall in self employment (down 178k for the quarter) but apparently there's about half a million people who are classed as employed but not getting any pay. Overall unemployment has increased by 650k between March and June. Most jobs were lost at the start of that quarter.

The number of people starting new jobs has halved since the start of March and is showing no signs of improving despite the easing of lockdown.

As the retention scheme starts to be phased out there could be up to 1m jobs at risk (HM Revenue and Customs figures).

Despite the information being available and on some government sites, officially unemployment remains static at 3.9% despite benefit claimant numbers going from 2.3m in April to 2.8m in May.
A decent percentage of the self employed drop will be down to IR35. Even though the implementation has been delayed many organisations have forced contractors inside IR35, and therefore to an employed status.

The side effect if this is they pay more tax, including their employers NI contribution on top of their own, and still receive no rights of employment such as such and holiday pay.

I'm one of them so an fully aware of how little the government cares about people over pandering to the big businesses.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti