Lockdown positives

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Lockdown positives

Post by duke63 »

So what are the positives for you from the lockdown?

For me:

Not having to commute to work every day
Not having to drive much at all. I get no pleasure from driving anymore.
Little traffic on the roads though this seems to be getting worse again
Much less pollution
Daily walks in the countryside direct from my front door. Never knew we had so many nice places to walk.
Getting some jobs in the house and garden done that needed doing.
Money saved from not commuting. The last time I filled the car up was 27 March and it's still just under half full.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Re: Lockdown positives

Post by Monty »

Not sure where to start!
Monty™© MCMLXXII
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

I’ve enjoyed spending one on one time with my kids and their schooling. Also think we may have discovered Jess’ son is dyslexic. Definitely needs investigating.

Getting out each day for a bush walk with the kids with no grumbling because it’s ‘school sports’ not dad just being a pita.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Stores are almost deserted.
Streets are too.
If you do chance across someone, then they're wearing a mask, so for once the whole world has to STFU. Bliss.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

no commute
empty cycling roads
time with a 9 year old ginger terrorist
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Having more contact (Zoom, Skype, Whatsapp etc) with people who haven't used it before.
Using up all the materials we have and getting all the little jobs and finishing touches done to our house. Making us more inventive rather than going to get what we need.
Seeing the positivity some people can generate from what is a difficult situation for all.

To be honest, it really has not changed our lives anywhere near as much as many people. I've moved to a life where I don't need to buy many things or go out constantly and am happier for it. I think many will need to re-evaluate where they get their happiness given the 'new normal' which is approaching.

My sadness comes from not seeing my friends and family and how others are suffering, nothing more. (apart from i want to go out on my bike :D )
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

Environmental Benefits and not having to interact with people. I can be a hermit.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Biggest positive is being able to spend more time with my kids. Sadly this means there missing school which is my biggest negative.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Less vehicles on the roads when I commute, and the environmental benefits.
My home does not have mains gas, so heating oil is the central heating fuel & that's plummeted in price. (However my tank was filled up last autumn, so I'm watching the market & will leave it as late as possible before I take advantage).
Blade wrote:Biggest positive is being able to spend more time with my kids. Sadly this means there missing school which is my biggest negative.
Presumably you're helping their home schooling.? (happy)
Blade

Post by Blade »

Yep we have a structured day with school work at the centre of it. I quite enjoy it tbh butbits not the same as being in school and I really do worry how they will catch up.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

I am struggling with the home schooling
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

cooking is good homeschooling , they get to learn Home Economics, Mathematics including weights ,measures ,volumes and ratios, you can do some geography based learning about the origin countries of the ingredients you are using and maybe some science to explain how the ingredients are produced and the processes involved in the actual cooking and then at the end you get some food .
Blade

Post by Blade »

Great idea Jack (y) you've inspired me, but I'm going to take it back a step.

Tomorrow's home schooling class has now changed and tomorrow's first period will Butchery for 10 year olds, followed by a test of all the different cuts (giggle)
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Jack wrote:cooking is good homeschooling , they get to learn Home Economics, Mathematics including weights ,measures ,volumes and ratios, you can do some geography based learning about the origin countries of the ingredients you are using and maybe some science to explain how the ingredients are produced and the processes involved in the actual cooking and then at the end you get some food .
Spot on Jack, we've been doing quite a bit of baking and cooking with ours. The school has added a few cooking assignments as well.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Jack wrote:cooking is good homeschooling , they get to learn Home Economics, Mathematics including weights ,measures ,volumes and ratios, you can do some geography based learning about the origin countries of the ingredients you are using and maybe some science to explain how the ingredients are produced and the processes involved in the actual cooking and then at the end you get some food .
Thanks Jack shes just set fire to the house :D
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Perkles wrote:
Thanks Jack shes just set fire to the house :D
We had one like that :D
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

there's your opportunity to teach her about fire safety and insurance , every cloud and all that ....
Blade

Post by Blade »

With my family all day, regular barbecue's and beer (lol)
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

watching golden nuggets on YT like this shed build https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj4hbN ... NmcxcLSNhg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

I've been meaning to post in this thread for ages...

I've had so many positives from the lockdown experience. The initial shock of finding myself out of work wasn't a good start, but it's been a positive journey since then.

Working in Morrisons has been a real eye opening and positive experience. I'd lost track really of how privileged my life is and how much we take for granted. Going back to minimum wage living shows there is no way I could afford most of what I see as essential to living, and that in fact these things aren't essential but luxuries.

I've met people from such a wide age group and such a diverse set of backgrounds, yet everybody is respectful of each other. The old saying "Treat others as you would expect to be treated" is definitely appropriate for the group. It's also been really nice going to peoples houses to deliver food and, on the whole, being greeted by friendly faces.

Working in IT and especially as a contractor, in a lot of places, the way you are treated is awful. There is very little respect or even common decency. I hope to bring some of the experience from Morrisons back into my normal working life.

Outside of the working stuff, I've really enjoyed spending time with the kids and helping them out with their learning journey where I can. I've also enjoyed not having the normal time constraints, I can do things when I fancy and have also retargeted my exercise routine and am losing weight again.

I can't remember the last time I felt this relaxed and happy (without the addition of chemical substances)
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti