The cycling thread

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Re: The cycling thread

Post by Perkles »

Saintbury and snowshill manor climbs in one ride this morning, who's coming I'm leaving at 9
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

Aww no... I missed the opportunity, Perks! Sorry mate, maybe next year.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Feck that was hard misjudged the wind and it was in my face on the way home
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Perkles wrote:Feck that was hard misjudged the wind and it was in my face on the way home
And still........ Just seen the ride on Strava..

Cycling term: chapeau
Tankslap Ter.: Fecking hell

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Ok, so that was slightly misjudged.

After feeling the gears this morning and reading a load of positive posts on Facebook I decided to put 50 miles into Garmin's route planner and give it a go.

Now Garmin doesn't care about elevation of the road quality... So it was a much harder route than I would have liked.

But feck it... After 3 or so weeks of cycling I've completed my first 1/2 century.ImageImage

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Well done good effort
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Perkles wrote:Well done good effort
Cheers. All the tips with getting the bike setup have really paid off, it's really comfy. Over the whole distance I had a minor niggle from my knee and back, both of which where easily sorted with a stretch while moving.

Now back to running, shorter distances, and hills

Cav

Post by Cav »

Perkles wrote:its shocking how these idiots have a licence still,tbh with the amount of cycling I do I am very picky now on what roads I will cycle and ride my motorbike
B roads mainly for me nowadays and not when the idiots are out
Figured I'd pull this into the cycling thread.

You say you use B roads but in my experience that's when I get caught out by a cyclist round a corner more often than not, especially when it's a connecting B road between A roads.

What's your typical criteria for selecting a road from a safety perspective? I'm probably just gonna take what you say and apply it to my riding when I eventually get my cert through.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Cav wrote:
Perkles wrote:its shocking how these idiots have a licence still,tbh with the amount of cycling I do I am very picky now on what roads I will cycle and ride my motorbike
B roads mainly for me nowadays and not when the idiots are out
Figured I'd pull this into the cycling thread.

You say you use B roads but in my experience that's when I get caught out by a cyclist round a corner more often than not, especially when it's a connecting B road between A roads.

What's your typical criteria for selecting a road from a safety perspective? I'm probably just gonna take what you say and apply it to my riding when I eventually get my cert through.
I can only tell you from experience and ive been knocked off more times than I can remember but...
On a pushbike my biggest fear is being hit from behind at speed or side swiped by a car coming off or onto on a slip road .I get what you are saying about B road but the speeds involved tend to be slower so more avoidable
Time trialists use dual carriageways to post fast times ,there are so many deaths from being hit from behind its now a legality to use a flashing rear light in the day time ,they can keep their fast times I will stick to safety thanks
A roads have slip roads that are lethal for cyclists and drivers tend to day dream or drift off more on a straight A road
Cav

Post by Cav »

That makes a lot of sense, I hadn't fully appreciated those factors.

My chosen commute to work is along a straight A road but it is very wide and has cycle lanes. There's one particular tight spot right by a haulage company, that would be my main concern on this route.

The other option is a twisty a road with numerous hills and frankly it was dangerous enough of my moped which would do at least 25mph. The other route is the lesser of 2 evils.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

dont compare the experience of being on a motorbike with a pushbike ,on a motorbike you can get out the way with the power on a pushbike your pretty much fooked :)
It does make me laugh on various forums I am on when people slag off motorcyclists or lycra clad cyclists being on the roads,i do them all and they are all different but enjoyable
Chris Harris has just done his bike test and he recently said its made him a better car driver and the bike is far more engaging
Cav

Post by Cav »

I'm meaning that it was scary on a moped... it'll be much worse on a pushbike!! Eff that! Its the road I posted a video of a couple of weeks back.

Yeah agreed... definitely makes you a better car driver. Im quite happy to sit behind a cyclist for minutes if it is unsafe to overtake. I dont care how close the BMW X5 is on my bumper, if it isn't safe I'm not overtaking.

Ors a shame other people don't think the same way (see Blades earlier post)
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

If I can keep riding and my tendon pain eventually subsides I have decided I want to race again or at least do few with my brother
It keeps me focussed and my brain from going elsewhere ,I am working hard on diet at the moment and gradually losing weight
I reckon I can race on 150-200miles a week training ,let’s hope the weather stays nice
Scott Redding is posting a lot of cycling videos at the moment he’s a fit lad and good for WSB
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Perkles wrote:....Time trialists use dual carriageways to post fast times ,there are so many deaths from being hit from behind its now a legality.....
Fwiw I believe that the dual carriageway here no longer holds those time trials, after one of the competitors was killed outright when he rode into the back of a car that had broken down (no hard shoulder).
Cav

Post by Cav »

StMarks wrote:
Perkles wrote:....Time trialists use dual carriageways to post fast times ,there are so many deaths from being hit from behind its now a legality.....
Fwiw I believe that the dual carriageway here no longer holds those time trials, after one of the competitors was killed outright when he rode into the back of a car that had broken down (no hard shoulder).
I do wonder how certain cyclists lose all self preservation and ride at 30mph+ without looking forward :(

It's a shame really. I guess cyclists wouldn't be interested in doing a trackday type thing? For those that are all about performance and times.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Cav wrote:
StMarks wrote:
I do wonder how certain cyclists lose all self preservation and ride at 30mph+ without looking forward :(

It's a shame really. I guess cyclists wouldn't be interested in doing a trackday type thing? For those that are all about performance and times.
they use dual carriageways because they are flat and the lorrys and cars give them a draft to post quick times,personally I would rather stick to B roads
Ive raced at Mallory ,Cadwell ,Assen,Valencia Silverstone,Darley Moor,Olivers Mount,Spa,Three Sisters, and the TT course are a few I can remember in cycle races
The motor racing circuits are used a lot for cycle racing but Time Trialists wont use them to many corners and hills to slow them down :D
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Bloody impressive CV their Perkles (y)
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Cav wrote: I do wonder how certain cyclists lose all self preservation and ride at 30mph+ without looking forward :(

From a cycling perspective, I think it's much easier for riders to get "stuck inside their heads" while they're out there. There's not anything like the "immediacy" involved that there is when you're on a motorcycle. Plus, much of your focus is on your body...going around a track on a bike, you're seldom worried about how tired you are, or how much energy you have left ....on a bicycle it's about the only thing on your mind.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

D41 wrote:going around a track on a bike, you're seldom worried about how tired you are, or how much energy you have left
You are obviously not going hard enough.. I used to come in off a 20 min session wrecked and occasionally cut a session short due to feeling fatigued.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Cav

Post by Cav »

I usually don't go flat out and even then, the last lap is usually done when I'm thinking... "blimey I could do with a drink now."

If I am going flat out it's 3 laps and I'm panting like a priest in a playground!