The cycling thread

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Re: The cycling thread

Post by Perkles »

kiwikrasher wrote:
Perkles wrote:
Cav wrote:I was frequently getting punch flats despite running high pressures on my old MTB.. going tubeless makes a pinch flat impossible. The technology has improved a lot and is now genuinely better than tubes.
They are horrible to ride on for a road bike and puncture exactly the same as a tubed tyre ,whoever told you it’s impossible to flat is a liar
I used tubeless for a good 6 yrs MTBing.

Main advantage is you can run lower pressures for more off-road grip but as Perks says no advantage on the road and a lot harder to repair that a tube if you do get a sharp object through them.

I really don’t understand how you were getting pinch flats on the road at high pressures.
It can be from not fitting the tyre and tube correctly,it amazes me the amount of mamils with 10k bikes that can’t change a tyre or tube
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

It's impossible to get a pinch flat without a tube because you don't have a tube. I have spare tubes which will get me through the worst punctures. I'll also carry a piece of flexi plastic to cover a tyre split too.

Besides the majority of my commute on the road, I plan to only ride in the woods and on trails. I don't enjoy riding on the road on a MTB
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Cav wrote:It's impossible to get a pinch flat without a tube because you don't have a tube. I have spare tubes which will get me through the worst punctures. I'll also carry a piece of flexi plastic to cover a tyre split too.

Besides the majority of my commute on the road, I plan to only ride in the woods and on trails. I don't enjoy riding on the road on a MTB
There is a famous race every year held in Leicestershire called the Oomloop which is half road half white gravel farm tracks, the race is plagued with punctures.It is so bad the riders take spare bikes and have spotters around the circuit
The year tubeless tyres came out everybody said ive got tubeless tyres I wont puncture ,everybody punctured at least twice.My brother punctured 4 times and still finished 3rd
A tubeless tyre goes flat the same as an inner tubed tyre it pinches on the rim or gets a nail/thorn and it goes down ,they feel dead to ride on and are a lot heavier
You still need to carry a spare to get you home so IMHO they are a pointless marketing exercise,the best tyre for general road riding is a continental GP4000 with Butyl inner tubes

HTH :)
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

When I was a kid, one of my bikes had solid tyres, never got a punctures ha ha ha....no idea why they did not catch on. With today suspension tech i reckon you could get away with them now ;)
Cav

Post by Cav »

I take your point Perkles. My mate said they were crap when they first came out and a lot of people went back to tubes. He now runs tubeless on all his bikes and says he won't go back to tubes. The technology has improved greatly.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

From a personal stand point, I'm sticking to tubes. I'm in a massive Facebook cycling group, all kinds of riders from the 10 miller to racers and guys who ride multiple 100 miles in the same day. Surprisingly, there have been many discussions on the subject and neither side can offer a convincing reason as to why one is better than the other.

On the road, tubeless do seem to have less punctures, but they do have tyres unseating, sealant failures, and tyre splits. All of which seem to be generally game over for your ride.

Off road, not that I have any experience to base this on, I would be worried about tyre movement on rough stuff and the tyre unseating and rapidly deflating.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

I am no expert, but the internet tells me the best way to fix a tubeless tyre is to fit an inner tube!
I know on my bike I take a spare tube out with me in the ittybitty under saddle bag...

Still I think I have an idea with solid rubber ones
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Cav wrote:It's impossible to get a pinch flat without a tube because you don't have a tube. I have spare tubes which will get me through the worst punctures. I'll also carry a piece of flexi plastic to cover a tyre split too.

It's not impossible, but it's definitely much less likely.
A dollar bill (or a £5 note for you rich Euro-types) is great for a temporary sidewall patch/repair on a damaged tyre with a tube.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Cav wrote:I take your point Perkles. My mate said they were crap when they first came out and a lot of people went back to tubes. He now runs tubeless on all his bikes and says he won't go back to tubes. The technology has improved greatly.
the pros still use handmade and matured tubular tyres ,I used to buy tyres and store them in the airing cupboard for a year to mature :)
Cav

Post by Cav »

Road cycling isn't jumping on the tubeless train but enduro is always tubeless. Sometimes they use inserts to protect the rim from breaking. While allowing them to run sub 20psi.

It's quite common for a tyre to burp sealant but the tyre will always reseat unless you've had a big enough impact to cause other troubles.
ket
Your Bike: Canyon Ultimate

Post by ket »

Hey up fellas just thought I’d come say hello hope you all well see some old faces still about !,

I do loads of road cycling these days sold my Aprilias nearly 10 years ago. Ive suffered with bad back problems in the last two years and had an operation 2 weeks ago, so am doped up On morphine at the minute. Op went well but pulled it Saturday never known such pain since my motorbike days !! Had a discectomy and some bone taken out too.

So how many of you road cycle then ? I always know you did perky !,long time

How’s your mate Marcus did his legs fix up ok
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

ket wrote:Hey up fellas just thought I’d come say hello hope you all well see some old faces still about !,

I do loads of road cycling these days sold my Aprilias nearly 10 years ago. Ive suffered with bad back problems in the last two years and had an operation 2 weeks ago, so am doped up On morphine at the minute. Op went well but pulled it Saturday never known such pain since my motorbike days !! Had a discectomy and some bone taken out too.

Yes he can walk now ,how many pushbikes you crashed :D
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

ket wrote:Hey up fellas just thought I’d come say hello hope you all well see some old faces still about !,

Hey ket, good to hear from you.

Hope they op recovery goes well. I started cycling over lockdown in place of cross training at the gym. Unfortunately I really enjoyed it, so I'm now looking forward to spring to get back out in the road. In the mean time the turbo and zwift in the shed will have to do.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Alright matey.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Hi Ket

I had a 2 level cervical discectomy and fusion early last year so feel your pain mate. Just take it easy and don’t push too hard too soon. Good luck with the recovery mate (y)
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
ket
Your Bike: Canyon Ultimate

Post by ket »

Thanks guys. You’ll be pleased to know I had a few offs like going over like a pancake at a junction, trying to bag a KOM downhill, despite the right turn at the end, braked way too late and went head first into the bushes ! Oh man I sat up thought hope nobody saw that, then a lady winds her window down you alright she goes ! Yes I’m fine i said spitting bracken out of my mouth.

I had a go at racing, I never had the bottle on my aprilia, did a 12 mile TT at good wood circuit, what hoot that was.
Cav

Post by Cav »

So....

Evans have told me to return the products which I've already paid for and they will refund me. No. I will keep the items that I bought with my own money thank you. I will not be buying from them.

After numerous emails I've now found a shop in Shropshire which has a Trek Roscoe 7 in my size coming mid December. That's the soonest I can get any bike and I'm putting my name down on it. Otherwise I need to wait until at least February for a bike.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Hopefully my new bike... I have had one due in next month reserved for me.
trek-roscoe-7-2020-black-camo.jpg
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Cav wrote:Hopefully my new bike... I have had one due in next month reserved for me.
trek-roscoe-7-2020-black-camo.jpg
beauty !
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Jons posted prompted me.

Can anyone recommend a turbo trainer or something similar I can use on the bike? The shit weather and my shoulder injury mean I'm not getting many road miles in and I want to build up my fitness.