Uncle Vlad

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Uncle Vlad

Post by StMarks »

Everyone's favourite "Uncle Putin" is such a pivotal figure in global affairs, that I felt it was rather unfair of us not to have a thread in his honour.? (smirk)

Unlike the Trump-et, his wife Lyudmila does not feel an appropriate thread title so I hope "Uncle Vlad" is acceptable ?
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Uncle Vlad

Post by Kwacky »

I see his prime minster has stepped down after Vlad decided to change the rules again, which would allow Putin to remain in power beyond 2024.

Surely he'll have made his money by then? I know everyone talks about Putin being this powerful leader but there's a lot of money backing him. It would be interesting to know much control Putin actually has.
StMarks

Post by StMarks »

So I'll start the ball rolling.: (except Kwacky's faster at typing than me :D )

He's playing the long game, we all know that.
And (imho) you usually have to give a lot of consideration & imagination to try figure out his intentions & motives. -Even retrospectively they can appear like a chess master with the luck of the devil.

So WTF is he up to with his home politics.? -I sure as hell can't figure this one out.!
The fact that the Russian government has resigned suggests to me that they have an inkling.?
StMarks

Post by StMarks »

Kwacky wrote:..... I know everyone talks about Putin being this powerful leader but there's a lot of money backing him. .....
Fwiw I honestly don't believe Putin's in it for the money.?
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

I dont know what to make of him as he surely cant be as bad as our press make him out to be?

I dont trust what i'm told from the press at the best of times, but he certainly seems to be clever, unlike many of the politicians on the world stage...
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

StMarks wrote: Fwiw I honestly don't believe Putin's in it for the money.?
Nor do I. I think he's an old school Soviet who wants to see what Russia can achieve.

But it was money that put him in power.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

He's on his fourth term in office, just how long of a "long game" is he going to play, and when is it expected to start??

Lemme guess...it's already begun, and we are but mere pawns on his global chessboard. Am I close??
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

I think he is very much an old school soviet leader in the style of Stalin - maybe not quiet as ruthless towards his own people unless they are Ukrainian .
With the resignation of the entire parliament he is essentially the new Czar .
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Apart from him taking Crimea, invading Ukraine, putting bases in Syria, changes to the law to protect his position, playing about with the gas supplies to Europe

That sort of thing?

EDIT: I was replying to D41
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Fair enough, but the UK has also increased the number of troops it has in Syria over the last year or so, as it takes over recently vacated US bases.
I mean, there's quite a few countries have bases in Syria, it's not like Russia is alone in that regard.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I didn't say they are. You asked about Russia, not the rest of the world

It's pretty easy for the UK to increase their troop numbers given that they started at zero.
StMarks

Post by StMarks »

C00kiemonster wrote:I dont know what to make of him as he surely cant be as bad as our press make him out to be?......
I don't know Cookie.: Fwiw it seems to me that "our press" largely ignore Russia, don't believe there's much interest from our public ( & that's what sells & therefore drive their media business).?
Kwacky wrote:...I. I think he's an old school Soviet who wants to see what Russia can achieve.

But it was money that put him in power.
Do you think it's a case of the tail wagging the dog, so to speak. The Vory may have put him in power, but he seems (to me) to acquiesce to their money making activities rather than being under their control exactly.?
Jack wrote:I think he is very much an old school soviet leader in the style of Stalin - maybe not quiet as ruthless towards his own people unless they are Ukrainian .
With the resignation of the entire parliament he is essentially the new Czar .
Have to agree with you & Kwacky.: His actions & conduct generally seem to suggest he's more motivated by power & appreciation than the mere trappings of wealth.
2024 is not far away now, so it seems likely he is preparing for that. I simply struggle to see how he's going to seamlessly achieve his enduring attorney of the Russian State.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Once someone sets them self up as ‘God Almighty’ in their own Country, eventually there will be someone or some group who want to wrestle power from them by any means.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

C00kiemonster wrote:I dont know what to make of him as he surely cant be as bad as our press make him out to be?

I dont trust what i'm told from the press at the best of times, but he certainly seems to be clever, unlike many of the politicians on the world stage...
I think hes great ,I have worked in Russia and a soft leader wouldnt work
StMarks

Post by StMarks »

So, while the unexpected bonus effect of Sputnik V has been that it seems more effective than their ongoing hacking & disinformation strategy at dividing opinions amongst their neighbours...
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... nd-despair" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;