Work

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Re: Work

Post by Rossgo »

Until your home is turned into the office and you feel crap because you can't get away from work!!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Cav wrote:I don't anticipate ever being able to not have to work. The only way I could make it pay is to do high risk / high pay work for 20 years, pay of the house and build up a huge savings.

If I don't do the above then I expect to still be working past 70.
It couldn't be the case, could it.? (smirk) -But it seems to me that those in charge of long term planning may not have thought this "work them 'till 70 " thing through...:

The demand for employees is going to nosedive in the next few years.
Manual work will be done by machine.
Skilled work will be done by computer controlled machine.
Knowledge based work (like Kwacky's Rossgo) will be done by computers running complicated algorithms and accessing a constantly updated & interconnected database.
Before very long humans will not be able to compete on any level , save perhaps in the arts ( & AI will probably whip us on that too.! )
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Rossgo wrote:Until your home is turned into the office and you feel crap because you can't get away from work!!

I already work from home one day a week, and in a previous contract I was fully remote for a year.

If you setup a single room/shed-office and don't allow work to leave there then it's not an issue. At the moment I have the 4th bedroom as an office /cinema room, I work standard office hours when at home and never take the work laptop out of the office.

The is no reason why you have to let work rule your life.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Yep....I think a little bit of self-discipline goes a long way if you're working at home. Set yourself some ground rules, then stick to them & you should do well.
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

Rossgo wrote:Until your home is turned into the office and you feel crap because you can't get away from work!!

I have always had a office at home for as long as I can remember, so long as you keep to one room, it's fine, it's when you spread yourself all over the place it becomes unbearable.
there used to be a time when's I got up, dressed, suited and booted.... not now, get up, shorts and a Tee.... ha ha for working from home.

One thing I do seem to do working From home is much longer hours, start early, finish late, very little breaks during the day. It becomes a habit, a bad one I need to change, but being doing that long, it's the norm....
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

It’s the complete opposite for me

I go to work and it becomes home. Room i was in last swing I literally took 4 steps from my room and I was ‘at work’.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I've just had a rant at work about work. I did say it wasn't aimed at my boss but more at the firm as a whole for their failure to look after staff. My boss is pretty stressed out. She's only supposed to do 4 days but she's doing 5 and working weekends. It can't be easy with 2 young kids as well. She got tearful during our chat so it's clear it's not jut me feeling the pressure.

Her main worry is that I'm going to leave.

I told her I'm going to take stock at the end of the year. If things haven't improved then it's time for me to move on.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

We're about to formally announce our merger with Davies Group. We'll effectively become the legal wing of the group.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. It certainly means the money men will have the say about how we're run.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

Of course I don't know anything about the two companies but try to think of it as an opportunity. It may mean you finally get interesting stuff to do
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Potentially it could remove some of the personal and political sides to the way of the company being run in the favour of efficiency.

From what you've said, this could help you as you could put forward an efficiency case for managing your own case load..

Whichever way things go, I only hope it works for you in a positive light. You've had your fair share of crap from then over the last couple of years

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Hope their "corporate" approach works well for you Kwacky.
Fwiw I'm no fan of mergers & acquisitions. -Big companies "don't think", and the bigger they become the less focused they seem to be on individual contribution. Large companies therefore seem to absorb "more of & less motivated" whilst unnoticed grafters either drift away or loose their work ethic.
Imho. :?
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Yep!

It'll be interesting to see how we'll be treated. I'm hoping we'll be pretty much left to it, but I suspect we'll be expected to run all of their pre-litigation claims, which would mean being on an integrated file management system with full access to our files. It'll become even more process driving than it is at present. To be honest I can cope with that as I did it for 10 years. If you know how to use the system to your advantage then it's not a difficult way to work, but it'll kill a lot of the lawyers we've got who like to work at their own pace. They won't be used to the press of what is effectively industrialised lawyering.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Kwacky wrote:Yep!

It'll be interesting to see how we'll be treated. I'm hoping we'll be pretty much left to it, but I suspect we'll be expected to run all of their pre-litigation claims, which would mean being on an integrated file management system with full access to our files. It'll become even more process driving than it is at present. To be honest I can cope with that as I did it for 10 years. If you know how to use the system to your advantage then it's not a difficult way to work, but it'll kill a lot of the lawyers we've got who like to work at their own pace. They won't be used to the press of what is effectively industrialised lawyering.
Well i hope them acquiring you improves their service. ..

It will mean a lot of cultural change for the people you work for, but if the company is stronger for it then great.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

I'm all for cultural changes if it means things work better and you sound pretty similar to me with that, Kwacky.

You should be fine and like I say, hopefully it helps you out with your enjoyment.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I've got my 6 month review at the end of the week.

Time to start penning my thoughts.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Fingers crossed for you Kwacky. Hopefully it will work well for you this merger. If not your have to find something new or accept the changes

Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

I must be a right sad bastard because I love my job and cant imagine retiring ,I work stupidly long hours as well
If you hate your job like I used to maybe its time to find another vocation or employer ,I really cracked badly in a previous role and it made me very ill ,I even started HGV training .

I now work in the same industry but for an amazing company,love it to bits
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

duke63 wrote:Brexit will make it worse too. I can 100% guarantee that.

More and more American working practices are being introduced - zero hours contracts - self employed rather than employed - work til you are older and older - fixed term contracts.

Next will be no sick pay and not expected to take your annual leave.
you cant blame brexit for everything mate,we started to become Americanised a long long time ago
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

C00kiemonster wrote:Put every spare £ into paying off the mortgage early, that's one of the things we did. Makes a massive difference.
exactly what I have done my biggest bill is child maintenance now its about time I chopped my cock off :D