Insurance Loan Cars

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Insurance Loan Cars

Post by D6Nutz »

They do take the piss don't they.

Just put the car into the garage today to have the body work sorted after some twunt nicely decided to drive into it and promptly drive off :@

I drive a 2.4 litre, automatic, V70. Mainly because of the kids and all the crap that we need to cart round with them. So what did the repair place provide as an appropriate hire car..... A VW Polo, shoebox powered by a hair drier, with a waggle shift !! How is that similar ?? And I only got the "big" car because I asked nicely, the other cars where Seat Mii's (I had to google that one)
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Re: Insurance Loan Cars

Post by Rossgo »

Oh God! The garage will take the piss the most you won't see you car for the rest of this month!!
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

My bike policy includes a hire bike, 1st year was all good and when I needed it I got a SV650 for a bit, fine and dandy, the last 2 years unless I paid extra I only get a 125 if I need a hire bike... woo I can be one of those yoofs scooting around town and hanging out in maccyd's car parks...luckily ive not needed it yet
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Cavetroll87 wrote:.....unless I paid extra I only get a 125 if I need a hire bike... woo I can be one of those yoofs scooting around town and hanging out in maccyd's car parks...luckily ive not needed it yet
I went to a U-Pullit scrapyard on Sunday.
They also had a section for Motorbikes, and I had a look to see if there was anything worth removing.
27x crashed scooters of all shapes & descriptions, and not a single "proper motorbike".
Dangerous things, those scooters. ;)
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

StMarks wrote:
Cavetroll87 wrote:.....unless I paid extra I only get a 125 if I need a hire bike... woo I can be one of those yoofs scooting around town and hanging out in maccyd's car parks...luckily ive not needed it yet
I went to a U-Pullit scrapyard on Sunday.
They also had a section for Motorbikes, and I had a look to see if there was anything worth removing.
27x crashed scooters of all shapes & descriptions, and not a single "proper motorbike".
Dangerous things, those scooters. ;)
all joking aside Id love to go scooter enduro racing for a laugh, normally a 4 person team ober 8 hours, looks great fun!
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

Monty had fun racing sccoters. Right up until his miniature highside :D
Monty
Your Bike: 2010 ZX6R

Post by Monty »

D6 wrote:Monty had fun racing sccoters. Right up until his miniature highside :D
Yeah really can't recommend it.

I actually had two highsides, the first one I did a full 360 and landed on my feet. Unfortunately I was still travelling faster than I can run and ended up doing a superman into the crowd.

The second wasn't quite so lucky, I landed on my head and shoulder and the bike landed on me. Dislocated my shoulder, knocked myself out and the bike cracked a few ribs.

Woke up sitting in the car with absolutely no memory of the day what so ever.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

So if I decide to give it ago you don't want in then?

Glad your ok btw
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

Cavetroll87 wrote:So if I decide to give it ago you don't want in then?

(rolf)
Monty

Post by Monty »

(rolf)

No I'll pass!

The problem is you end up riding riding these things way above what they're designed to do. Where as on a sports bike on track most riders are at maybe 70% to 80% of what the bike is capable of with a big safety margin.

Plus after a few hours you start to get cocky, we were backing it in on some of the corners. Not something I'm ever likely to try or be capable of on a real bike.

It was fun though, don't let me put you off. Just expect to fall off at some point.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

If another insurance company are paying then your car should be very similar. If it's your company it's the luck of the draw.

Only insurance motorbike I had was a 600 bandit from Carole Nash when my Sprint RS was kicked over.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

It reminds me of when I needed bodywork done on my almost new Lexus several years ago, I dropped it into the body shop, and was given my courtesy car....

A poo brown old ford ka :(. Had loads of fun in it though... It wouldn't do more than 94 mph, but it held its own :D
Rob
Your Bike: Daytona 650, Kawasaki ZX10r

Post by Rob »

We have just had a hire car from the insurance company for 5 weeks whilst ours (Alfa romeo Giulietta Cloverleaf) was being repaired. As kwacky said, if your insurance is paying, you will just get a courtesy car (usually a generic 1.0l tin can with 10 inch wheels) from the garage. But as our accident was the other parties fault, my insurance company said they could get a similar spec car to ours from a hire company and bill the other insurance. They turned up with an Audi A3 (not quite the same spec but adequate) so it wasnt all bad.

However, when reading the paper work which came with the A3, I saw the daily hire rate of the car......£172+vat.......WHAT THE F@#k!!!

I had the car for 34 days which equates to just over £7200.....No wonder why these insurance companies charge the earth nowadays when they are just passing on these ridiculous charges to us in our premiums.

When you add on the repair cost of approx £4.5k plus the other fees associated with a claim then it must nearly add up to 100% of the current value of our car.

Its insane!
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

IMO the "repairers" are as bad as well these days. I use quotes as not a lot of repairing actually seems to go on.

On our car there is a dent in the door, it's a reasonable size but there was no concept of trying to pull it. WIthin about 30 seconds of looking at the car it was a new door, new rear panel, both of which will have to be sprayed and blended to match..

The front bumper had been damaged in a previous incident, I asked for an insurance quote at the time to get that repaired. The answer was a new bumper. I asked the guys that have got the car now for a repair quote and it came out at £240, a new bumper is getting on for a grand.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Rob
Your Bike: Daytona 650, Kawasaki ZX10r

Post by Rob »

They have basically got carte blanche on the jobs they get sent by insurance companies. But to be honest, all industries are the same, as soon as they know an insurance company are picking up the bill, they inflate the job so much! When we had a burst pipe at home the builders/decorators had a field day with their pricing!!
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

:) I'm in the same boat as Rob. Last time I had to have a courtesy car the supplied me with "an equivalent" car.
They delivered a brand spanking new Subaru Impreza. (nod)

I did have fun "running it in" for the three weeks I had it. (giggle)
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Rob, that sounds like credit hire rates. Just be careful you've not signed an agreement saying you couldn't afford to hire a car or that your insurance company doesn't offer vehicles.
Monty

Post by Monty »

Here you go cavetroll, this is us winter testing in the alps.

[video]http://youtu.be/PhKBEvSf4rE[/video]
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Monty wrote:Here you go cavetroll, this is us winter testing in the alps.

[video]http://youtu.be/PhKBEvSf4rE[/video]
Looks epic mate! I have heeded your warning and yet still find myself drawn to it like a moth to the flame
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Back on topic.......

Just to cheer my up, I had an email today. They've had my car for a week now and they've only just assessed the damage, the estimated return date is the 8th.... Feckers, they guy told me it would only take a week !!

They better have it sorted by that date or we're in trouble. We go on holiday a few days after and there is no way we can or want to go to Gatwick in a shoebox powered by a hair drier.. I'm going to try giving the insurance company a call and see if they can offer a bigger car...