Scams

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Scams

Post by Cav »

Data breach Scams

They're real. So I had an email in my Junk folder with a variation of an old password in the subject. Obviously it hasn't been successful in getting any money out of me so they've actually sent an email to try and webcam scam / sextort me. (1. I don't w@nk on my laptop and 2. who the heck wants to watch a video of me doing that?) so I'm not worried about that side of things.

There's a website you can use to check if there are any data breaches associated with your email account which can be found in the Guardian newspaper webpage: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ion-webcam

Just making you aware that my breach was through MyFitnessPal and 8Fit.

Change any passwords associated with those account :)

Oh and they want exactly $1000. "Piss off, fvckers!!"
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Scams

Post by Kwacky »

Good link, ta.

I knew there was a fake profile of me on LinkedIn. I've tried to delete it but they won't let me.

The ones listed for my main email account are all data breaches on sites like Imgur and Tumblr
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

I liked Tumblr before they made their recent changes.. never made an account though. I have an account for Imgur though.

Also, I looked back at the list and mine is most likely from MySpace back in 2008. The data was only recently published online with the first 10 characters converted to lower case. This is exactly how my password appeared in the subject.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Be very afraid of using the same password for everything, trust me i know how these things work under the hood.

I use Lastpass. Its free and randomly generates strong passwords for each thing you store / use. All you need then remember is your master password. As long as it's memorable and long and a bit wierd you have nothing to worry about. You therefore have a different password for each system you use. It audits your passwords too to tell you about duplicates or weak passwords.

Lastpass advise you to change passwords when a hack has been made on a system (such as MySpace) so they manage that for you too.

They have browser extensions, apps and will autofill the passwords for you on PC, Mac, Android and Apple