Climate change

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Climate change

Post by duke63 »

A stark warning of how much our lives must change if the World is to remain habitable for all.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-49499521" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Re: Cilmate change

Post by StMarks »

This, like pretty much every other issue we face, comes down to one basic underlying reason...:
The problem is actually too many people.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

No its the way we live our lives. Its not sustainable even in the short term.
StMarks

Post by StMarks »

duke63 wrote:No its the way we live our lives. Its not sustainable even in the short term.
Sorry, but No. It's simply too many humans.
No matter how we try to moderate our behaviours, there are far too many of us for the planet to sustain.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

The guy being cited in the article, Prof. Sir Ian Boyd....his field is actually in marine biology & Arctic research, not so much climate change...he's quite the hippy, in other words. A quick bit of Googling shows he's also a bit radical and "out there" on a number of topics.
He baits a decent hook, but I'm not biting.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

StMarks wrote:
duke63 wrote:No its the way we live our lives. Its not sustainable even in the short term.
Sorry, but No. It's simply too many humans.
No matter how we try to moderate our behaviours, there are far too many of us for the planet to sustain.
If we moderated our burning off fossil fuels enough and looked out how we provide our food, the world would cope comfortably.

It’s the drive for money and growth that is killing it.

Look at the facts, the burning of fossil fuels for surface transport is our worst problem.

Across the road from where I am today, they have demolished industrial units and factories (one that is quite well known) to build 900 homes in land that is already surrounded by too many roads that cannot cope with the traffic now. Those homes will add another 2000 or so vehicles to these roads. It’s not viable, sensible or sustainable but a few will make a fortune from it whilst 900 new mortgages will be created adding more debt to the system.

It will crash eventually.
StMarks

Post by StMarks »

duke63 wrote: If we moderated our burning off fossil fuels enough and looked out how we provide our food, the world would cope comfortably....
I only wish I could agree with you mate.
Fwiw it has been calculated that a figure of less than 2 billion humans may be sustainable by the planet's eco-structure, if exploitation by that population could be kept in check.
However..:
https://www.theworldcounts.com/counters ... clock_live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

https://www.theworldcounts.com/counters ... from_earth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StMarks

Post by StMarks »

Fwiw if you scroll down on the link I posted, you'll find that counter, along with a few other "enlightening" ones.

Sorry, but this is probably the subject that draws my concern most. Even makes issues like brexshit & brainwashing bigotry insignificant by comparison.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

It will undoubtedly be a huge problem in our children’s lifetime, maybe even in ours. To ignore the fact that we in the western world (and particularly the USA) are the worst offenders might come back to haunt us all before we are six foot under.
StMarks

Post by StMarks »

duke63 wrote:It will undoubtedly be a huge problem in our children’s lifetime, maybe even in ours. To ignore the fact that we in the western world (and particularly the USA) are the worst offenders might come back to haunt us all before we are six foot under.
I believe it already is. Just for example, isn't the stream of refugees into Europe largely due to unsustainability in their countries of origin.?
That is having some effect on their destination countries, but furthermore is contributory in the resurgence of support for far right politics. There is an argument for seeing a link with the migrants & our own referendum result. (NO, I am NOT saying that all vote leavers are racist, I am pointing out that a lot of people are understandably concerned & that it will have been a factor that will have effected their choice of vote).

So imho we are already being effected.?
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Doesn't it stand to reason that the world's most industrialised countries are going to be the worst offenders?? I mean, I can blame China for pollution affecting climate change all day long....but it doesn't do anything, as all these issues are market-driven at their core. Same goes for the U.S., same goes for a number of places.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

D41 wrote:Doesn't it stand to reason that the world's most industrialised countries are going to be the worst offenders?? I mean, I can blame China for pollution affecting climate change all day long....but it doesn't do anything, as all these issues are market-driven at their core. Same goes for the U.S., same goes for a number of places.
Which is precisely why 'the market' should not be the one in the driving seat making all the decisions. Their interest is short term and selfish and that will only end up one way.

St Marks, yes you are right. The Western world is making life in lots of countries unsustainable, by the greed for oil in particular.

Its also why Brexit is such a stupid **** idea as energy is going to be far more precious, expensive and limited than it is now. The concept of making goods and transporting them for miles across the globe will be much more expensive in years to come.

We will, to my mind, all have a limited carbon footprint per person at some point in the near future unless the world rids itself of burning fossil fuels as transport.
duke63

Re: Climate change

Post by duke63 »

And i am with you on the fact that is the most pressing thing we should be worried about at this point in time. I would like my son and his generation to have a world that they can live in and one with a better future than we have now.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

Interesting read. Whether you believe its dangerous or not, human activity is having a significant impact on the future of the Planet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-49773869" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

the green energy industry isn't as green as you would hope the increased use of sulphur hexaflouride and the leakages of it in the EU alone are the equivalent of 1.3 million cars a year , then you have to look at the widespread , sustained and increasing use of diesel generator farms to supply the shortfalls in the supply grid . I don't believe that its any coincidence that the only profitable manufacturing economy in the EU is the only one still building coal fired power stations .
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

It doesn't help that there's a massive reluctance to move to greener energy sources.

Coal on the other hand is cheap.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

The problem is we HAVE to change the way we live our lives.

Moving from one energy source isn't the answer unless someone can find a cheap, emissions free way of producing energy.
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

This has been on the radar since I was as school, and nothing seems to change globally in a way that will help this situation one bit.
1) everyone on the planet needs to participate - i.e. All the countries of the world....we still have greed as the main reason why this has not happen
2) yes I agree with Stmarks, too many humans, - needs a radical mind set change globally, less kids per house hold.
3) it won't be the planet that goes it will be the human race, and the plant will do what it needs, and will continue in some form, well until the sun deals with that issue, obviously not in our lifetime. And the next dominant species will take over when we are gone.
The planet at this time has a expiry date, it might well be longer than your milk, but it does exist, but there is no denying the fact that we are fecking it up, and reducing the environment that we can live in that's for sure, regardless of mother earths life span.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Go nuclear. It's the only option we have. It's extremely strong, a good source of energy and very clean unless it goes bang but killing off a few million people wouldn't be a bad thing for our world.

We can talk about it all until red in the face the fact of the matter is we are all driving our cars, checking our mobile devices, living in our homes, cooking our meals. Every single aspect of our lives are dictated too by energy sources. Regardless of how green we go. From clothes being produced in sweat shops in India to veg being grown in our farms every single aspect is inescapable.

I can't remember where I heard this but doesn't GB produce 5% more energy than needed at the moment, a small increase in our population and homes being produced will demolish that figure and we could see massive issues.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk