Sepsis

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Sepsis

Post by duke63 »

Now one of the biggest killers.

With all that has gone on this week, thought I would do a bit of research.

No one knows exactly but the general consensus is it’s a result of over use of antibiotics.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Re: Sepsis

Post by Deegee »

Even though I am only here thanks to the use of antibiotics in my childhood, I firmly believe we have used them for too many complaints historically and are now paying the price. For me personally they are now the last thing on the list if I’m seriously ill.

Fwiw Sepsis nearly killed our UK boss, he’s still not right two and half years on, he was super fit, swum daily and is now grossly overweight with a tremor. It’s a horror disease.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Apparently all antibiotics now have their own individual reference number and when they are dispensed that number is entered on the patients record so they can trace every batch to every patient.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

The MiL has sepsis that set in from a scratch on her leg. She's lost the ends of all her toes and the ends of her fingers from the middle knuckle on one hand.

She was in an induced coma for a couple of weeks and remained in hospital for a couple of months. Are also had a massive stroke while in the coma, sods law that affected her other arm.

She's in hospital this week having the ends of her big toes amputated as the infection still won't go. The amount of antibiotics she is still on is scary.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Deany got sepsis about 5 years ago.
Perfectly healthy one day, went to the dentist the next for a fairly minor procedure & felt ill that evening. By the next morning she was in hospital & knocking on deaths door. It was only because her GP was very "on the ball" & very familiar with her status that it was caught in time.
The antibiotics worked very well, and she was back to almost normal in about a week or two iirc.!
At the time I seem to recall someone telling me that dental work was actually a frequent cause for the infection.?
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

I think it's lack of dental work/hygiene... although getting work done can probably trigger events into motion....an untreated cavity turns septic, and the condition spreads outwards, and upwards, into the brain.
There was a case several years ago, maybe more, where a young lad died, literally from "toothache complications". New Jersey or somewhere like that.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Nope...Google tells me it was a 26 year-old man from Sacramento.