The next prime minister

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
bb41
Your Bike: GSXR750

Re: The next prime minister

Post by bb41 »

It will be between Boris and Jeremy , but that's no surprise.

My preference is Boris .. and Kwacky I don't class myself old at 55 !!.. I don't particularly hold him in high regard but I do think he can take on a lot that is thrown at him ..a lot doesn't stick so it might be useful

I also think he could salvage the tory party at a GE if he steers the Brexit plan to fruition

I know the majority on here don't hold the same view as me but I'd be OK with him leading the party and see how it goes navigating Brexit... if he gets it wrong then the Torys are in trouble .. but I think Labour will be too and even worse
Live each day as your last as one day you'll be right !!
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

55 isn't old. I agree :) I also agree with what you say about Brexit and the Conservatives.

Tories themselves had said that they're worried about the party surviving Brexit, which is why they feel that they want to elect a leader who is pro Brexit and wont' worry about a no deal scenario.

For the Tory Party to survive then they have to ensure that No Deal isn't going to be the shit-storm that a lot of people say it will be.

Whoever the next leader of the Conservatives is will have a massive job of getting the votes needed to get anything through Parliament.
bb41

Post by bb41 »

This is a problem but it can help.. if labour are going to constantly block then eventually it will appear that they aren't interested in moving forward but trying to stall everything for an alternative agenda

That won't wash .. it has to be done ... The nation is divided , it won't bring us together so get on with it and make it work

The next GE will be judged on how it was executed and the first 12 months afterwards

My hope is that it can work ( I wouldn't have voted in favour to leave if I thought otherwise) and we can get on with other things that are just as, if not more important.

I would like to see a better opposition and I think Monty will agree the left leaning of Labour as it is in its current state also splits the party , and if Brexit wasn't on the agenda it would show how divisive it really is .. his fence sitting must be getting uncomfortable by now :-D

The same also within the Tory party, it has split it.. which IMO it has to be dealt with ASAP .. If it dealt with it swiftly I think Labour have more problems other than Brexit within the party than the conservatives

We shall see ... it is all very interesting and politics at the minute has been blown apart and about time too
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

Nope, I'm fairly confident in saying I disagree with pretty much everything you say (lol)

But it does make the world an interesting place x
Monty™© MCMLXXII
bb41

Post by bb41 »

Monty yes it does , we do agree on that and I really have listened to your posts and I can see what you want your party to achieve for you ... we just want to get there in different ways

I love a forum where it's openly debated .. it's good to talk
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Well, I'm fairly confident that Monty will disagree with pretty much everything that ANYBODY says about ANYTHING. Even this.

Just watch.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Brexit has divided the nation and its politicians. Both labour and conservative know that as they watch what it's doing to their parties. It was madness of May to call a general election when she did. Blaming labour for her party not being able to steer in the same direction was just a distraction from their own issues
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Kwacky wrote:.... It was madness of May to call a general election when she did. Blaming labour for her party not being able to steer in the same direction was just a distraction from their own issues
:? How about, as an admitted remainer, the route she took has actually proven to be a very effective way of her de-railing the process.
Her leadership position was only going to be to serve as fall guy anyway, so could she have decided she may as well make her failure worthwhile for the good of the country.?
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I don't believe that. I believe she wanted to be known as the prime minister who delivered brexit. There were lots of ways she could have derailed it.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Kwacky wrote:I don't believe that. I believe she wanted to be known as the prime minister who delivered brexit. There were lots of ways she could have derailed it.
(wait) Fwiw I didn't say I believed it Kwacky.

At risk of pointing out something I'm pretty sure you already realise; I "may occasionally" post my considerations, with my tongue held firmly in my cheek (giggle)

Nontheless don't let's forget; Many a true word is spoken in jest.? (hi)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Yeah, crossed wires. That was me saying I don't believe it, rather than saying you did :D

I've heard the argument before that she was stalling on purpose.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

At no point have I seen May actually try to deliver Brexit. I don't believe she had any gusto in a single thing she ever said, she was just a wobbly old mess who is well overdue a sit down.

As for Boris, I don't understand how he is so slippery but he is - he was the last to decide which way he wanted to go with Brexit and he was the one spearheading the whole bus thing yet Farage seemed to get the blame for that (if I remember that bit correctly). I always liked Boris but I don't know how I feel about him being PM.

I voted remain, it didn't go the way I wanted it to go. All I want now is for the government to act in the interest of the public and NOT themselves.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

Monty™© MCMLXXII
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Boris looks dominate after the first round of votes.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Michael Gove: 37
Matt Hancock: 20
Mark Harper: 10
Jeremy Hunt: 43
Sajid Javid: 23
Boris Johnson: 114
Andrea Leadsom: 11
Esther McVey: 9
Dominic Raab: 27
Rory Stewart: 19
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

BBC News - Tory leadership contest: Boris Johnson tops first ballot
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48624579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bb41

Post by bb41 »

When I just listened to the results it's hardly worth the rest bothering is it ??

I think it was quite obvious who the top two will be and I think the paid up members will vote the same way .

It does seem a waste of time and should go straight to the tory members vote with Boris and Jeremy .

It doesn't surprise me it's all male as I feel the EU will have more of a challenge with Boris which could be the leverage we need to get a lot better deal moving forward

Boris will have to deliver or this will be the end of the Tory Party and he has a serious amount of work to do
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

Jeremy Hunt can jump infront of a train ffs. Even May would do less damage than him - to the country or the party.
bb41

Post by bb41 »

I think a lot of the membership won't be happy with Hunt .. .. I think a closer run match would have been Gove and Johnson
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

We'll see a few names drop out now but it does look like Johnson is going to win.

May was largely unopposed when she went for it.

I don't see what leverage Johnson has to help us get a better deal. Let's see how the EU responds to him.

I presume he's forgotten what he said about Gordon Brown when he took over from Tony Blair.