Huawei Mate 20 Pro

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Itchy
Your Bike: Kawasaki Z1000

Huawei Mate 20 Pro

Post by Itchy »

So I've had this phone about 3 months or so now, and Rossgo is looking around for new phones so it seems pertinent to post my thoughts.

Having come from a Samsung S6 Edge I wondered how the interface would differ. Not much, is the answer. Although it can be.
It still does everything the Samsung did (and more), just the layout (keys, back button etc) is slightly different.
You can remove the black bar at the bottom with the back and home buttons and use a swiping motion from the side or bottom of the screen respectively, which I have done. It was a little weird at first but after a day or two it's become second nature now.

I spent a long time comparing flagship phones, trying to decide which would best suit me. To be honest, any one of them would and I don't feel any worse off now that the P30 Pro and it's supposedly better camera has been released.

The camera is good.
It's really good.
We went up to the Lake District a few weeks ago and I took my DSLR, although I left the battery in the charger.

At home!

So I used the phone to capture our time there. At no point did I feel short-changed. I guess I could've used a little more zoom once or twice, but when you're fell-walking and you have so much scenery to take in then perhaps its not zoom you need, but a wide angle lens.

Hold up, the Huawei has one. It has come in really handy for various uses from getting as much of the landscape in as possible without resorting to taking Panorama shots (which it also does very well) to taking shots of small rooms from the corner (I was showcasing the size of a bedroom for someone).

The camera, and indeed the phone, are far more capable than I've utilised it for up until now. I need to play with it more because I've made a big deal about getting a flagship phone (at the time) and why?
I haven't really pushed the processor, nor the storage.
To be honest, all I really need from a phone is a decent camera, a good screen and something that I can talk to people on rare occasions.
The Mate 20 Pro is so much more than that, but it won't become any more than that unless I start using it as such.

I will though. I'll try and explore it more, I owe it to myself.

And my bank account.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Huawei Mate 20 Pro

Post by Kwacky »

They are good phones. I've had a play with the settings and got it set up the way I want. They're pretty easy to use, quick and tough.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Great write up Itchy. Thanks for this

Camera sounds great - out of interest do you have a couple of pics you could post up in this thread whilst using this phone?

I have never considered this phone to be honest - I have heard of it of course but I assumed it wasn't a top rated one.

My misses has a Haiuwe (habe no idea how to spell it) but she went for a cheaper spec and she doesn't use her phone as much as me. Whenever she posts up pics majority of them would usually be mine that she's transferred across from.my ohone to hers lol!

Camera is important. Speed is important for apps etc

I currently have the S7 Edge and that is now starting to slow down which is getting annoying. I know a factory reset would sort it out but I would loose everything so no point doing that!

Does the mate 20 have space for a storage card?

How does it feel in your hand When using - eg texting or whatever? You and me have/ or have had Samsung and they are the same eg the edge so we now they feel good in your hand.

My misses doesn't it feels rectangular and not nice but like i say it is a cheaper phone

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Rossgo, all my recent facebook photos and my photos on here have been taken with my Huawei.
Itchy

Post by Itchy »

Camera sounds great - out of interest do you have a couple of pics you could post up in this thread whilst using this phone?
Yes I can, but when I do be aware that at the moment I'm having to screenshot the pictures then post the screenshot, as the file size is too large to post it as an attachment, and my Photobucket account has gone tits up.
So the quality won't be as good as what I see.

I have never considered this phone to be honest - I have heard of it of course but I assumed it wasn't a top rated one.
Flagship model until a month or two ago.

Camera is important. Speed is important for apps etc
Camera - good. Versatile, good image quality, plenty of features, easy to use.
Speed appears to be good but I haven't got any apps at present that would really test it's performance.
Whilst I remember the battery is pretty decent too. The last few days at work I've been tinkering on it throughout the day, and consequently the battery has gone from 100% at 0545 when I get up to 20-30% at 2230ish.
If I have a day when I'm teaching all day and therefore not using it, I can stretch it out to 2 days before needing to charge.
And with the supplied fast charger (which I have lost!!!) it will supposedly charge 70% in half an hour. It is ridiculously fast!

Does the mate 20 have space for a storage card?
Yes. It has internal of 128Gb and you can get a NanoSD card of up to another 128Gb.

How does it feel in your hand When using - eg texting or whatever? You and me have/ or have had Samsung and they are the same eg the edge so we now they feel good in your hand.
It's heavier.
Not uncomfortably so, but noticeably so over the S6 Edge (and presumably the S7 as well). My little finger notices it the most as I rest the weight of the phone on it.
It's the trade off for having a bigger, better quality screen. And it is a good screen as well.
Feels good too.
And I haven't had it drop out of my hands yet!

My misses doesn't it feels rectangular and not nice but like i say it is a cheaper phone

The Mate 20 Pro has the curved edge like the Samsungs, and rounded corners. It looks the part of the flagship phone.

There are some niggles. Although I like the new interface the keyboard layout is different in places, I do have to stop and search for things I don't use that often, like a semi-colon or whatever.

I also keep hitting the full stop instead of the space bar when I'm typing, so that's annoying. No lazy texting any more!

Some internet sites don't load properly first time and I need to refresh, this site being where I notice it the most. There's probably something in my settings somewhere that will sort it (it doesn't happen on the WiFi) but I haven't got around to looking yet!

The face unlock is very good, but very occasionally doesn't work and leaves you to unlock the phone via other means, such as fingerprint and/or pin code.
To be honest, it's pretty decent but what I'm struggling with is 3 years of picking a phone up and pressing the side button to wake it up then using a fingerprint scan has imprinted that process into my muscle memory.
With the Huawei the phone wakes up as you pick it up and then scans for your face, so 9 times out of 10 I end up putting the phone to sleep with the side button before I've even got it unlocked.

That's more of a me problem.

The predictive text works really well, better than the Samsung. Whether that's anything to do with Huawei information sharing and me working in defence is a matter of speculation!!!
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Kwacky wrote:Rossgo, all my recent facebook photos and my photos on here have been taken with my Huawei.
So pretty decent then. Is it the mate 20 too?

Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

@Itchy

Wow you have literally answered all my questions

Well let's put it this way my phone was at 80% this morning and I've used it my general usual amount and it died at 1 pm!! So i defo need a bigger battery! It's getting old so I blame it on that too. I use a fair amount of on screen time, videos, sites music etc

The weight isn't too much of a problem, I too rest my phone on my little finger so I will prob notice it but I recogn that's due to a bigger battery, bigger screen etc it all adds up so not a biggy. Glad to hear is is curved and comfortable - that was a concern I know i would hate having my misses phone just doesn't feel good

As for pics that's an interesting topic

Why are the files too large?
Do you use Tapatalk app on phone to go through tankslap because I do and I never get an issue with file size - I am unsure if that's to do with the app compressing the image or if the pics just aren't big enough to get an issue. Or do you use the net on a lappy?

Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Yep, it's the Pro 20 (Model number CLT-L09 )
Itchy

Post by Itchy »

I don't use Tapatalk anymore, maybe I could. It's the Tankslap website, I think the size limit is 2MB for an attachment. The last few pics I've taken are averaging between 4 and 5, with some even higher.
Again, it's something I've got to look at and play around with.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Kwacky wrote:Yep, it's the Pro 20 (Model number CLT-L09 )
You and Itchy are really making me consider this. I will watch a load more reviews about it I think, but i have watcj a couple already and to be fair seem pretty decent

Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

@Itchy - is there any reason why you don't use Tapatalk anymore? Personally i think its a lot easier to have a catch up of the site and respond etc.

Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

It's the best phone I've had for watching videos on.
Itchy

Post by Itchy »

Rossgo wrote:@Itchy - is there any reason why you don't use Tapatalk anymore? Personally i think its a lot easier to have a catch up of the site and respond etc.

I think because it just seemed pointless to me to have another app just to browse one site. Tankslap is the only forum I'm on.

Is that sad?
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Kwacky wrote:It's the best phone I've had for watching videos on.
I have seen that it's a better screen than the p30 pro it's got to mean something! Not surprised you think its the best. Think i need to get myself back into a phone shop soon!

Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Itchy wrote:
Rossgo wrote:@Itchy - is there any reason why you don't use Tapatalk anymore? Personally i think its a lot easier to have a catch up of the site and respond etc.

I think because it just seemed pointless to me to have another app just to browse one site. Tankslap is the only forum I'm on.

Is that sad?
Nope not sad at all. I only browse Tankslap as well but for ease of use and I never have to remember my log in etc etc it makes it a lot simpler. Also I have 3 different sections- new posts, subscribed and participated. I look at participated first and keep on top of that, then ill look at new posts when I'm off from work. Everything's clean and tidy and in its place. I like that. No need to search for anything or click here or click there etc. Just a simple swipe and onto the next section eg subscribed.

kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Itchy wrote:

Is that sad?
Well that makes me sad too (lol) TS is the only constant tab open on my browser as well. I did make a home screen icon that would take me straight to TS but then I ended up with 5-6 browser tabs open on TS (facepalm)
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Stonesie
Your Bike: BMW R1250GSA

Post by Stonesie »

Rossgo wrote:
Kwacky wrote:It's the best phone I've had for watching videos on.
I have seen that it's a better screen than the p30 pro it's got to mean something! Not surprised you think its the best. Think i need to get myself back into a phone shop soon!

I could tell the difference between the screen's on the P30 Pro and Mate20 Pro, I'm too poor for either at the moment but by the time the Mate 30 Pro is available, which should have the upgraded screen and the P30 Pro's camera then my LG G6 will be ready for replacement 8)
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Huawei are defo getting a lot of love at the moment!

DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

Another mate 20 pro owner here. Great phone. You 100% won't be disappointed with the camera. If you're a dropper get insurance for it though. I have insurance but priced up a replacement screen out of curiosity and it was over £300 because of the curved glass.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

DaytonAndy wrote:Another mate 20 pro owner here. Great phone. You 100% won't be disappointed with the camera. If you're a dropper get insurance for it though. I have insurance but priced up a replacement screen out of curiosity and it was over £300 because of the curved glass.
Nice seeing you back Andy- hope you are well buddy

Yes i am a dropper!! This S7 Edge is the FIRST phone I have ever made last almost 3 years. I usually kill phones rather quickly lol!! Hence why insurance is so important to me!