Musings on life

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Musings on life

Post by duke63 »

Done a lot of this sort of thinking over the last few years. Times change we all get older.

Reaching 50 years old is no doubt a major milestone for most people, we are unlikely to live for that length of time again.

Age really does start to catch up with you however much you might look after yourself.

For most I think it’s also probably approximately the peak of your earning potential.

So what next?

Seeing mother in law start to deteriorate quite quickly and having spent quite a few hours in New Cross hospital over the last few weeks it dies make you realise that the most important things in life are health and using those healthy years wisely.

The time clock does start to run down quite quickly past 50.

MiL has not had a diagnosis of any kind yet but the department I took her too yesterday was Oncology. I don’t think she was aware of that beforehand and it didn’t take a genius to work out what was going through her mind.

Watching others come and go in reception there, many it would appear of not dissimilar age to me, it does make you think.

This isn’t meant as a thread with a negative slant, though reading it back it might and probably does appear that way.

Just a little reminder really not to waste your precious time chasing trinkets, wealth, even politics as ultimately it’s all bullshit. No one beats the grim reaper.

Just enjoy your life as you wish and are able with those closest to you.

Time is precious and one day that clock will wind down very fast. None of us know when or how soon that day might come.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Musings on life

Post by Kwacky »

As bikers we know that it's all about the journey, not the destination.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

"Just a little reminder really not to waste your precious time chasing trinkets, wealth, even politics as ultimately it’s all bullshit. No one beats the grim reaper."

Totally agree and the above quote is very good advice and something alot of the Brexit crowd could do with taking on board tbh (facepalm)
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

I think it's about a good life-balance (if that's the term).
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

My MiL-to-be looks after end of life patients and she has looked after people in their 20s, people the ages of her own children.

The one that stuck with me the most was a mid-30's school teacher who passed away from cancer, if I remember rightly she had been saving for a number of years to buy her own home. All that money, in hindsight, was wasted and she could possibly have had a better life if she hadn't saved.

Of course that's with hindsight and people should save but it goes to show you never know when your time will come so make the most of it.

I hope your MiL is okay, emotionally as much as physically
duke63

Post by duke63 »

It’s ironic really that MiL is struggling with physical health but has coped with life well mentally since her husband died, yet my mum has good physical health but has not coped well mentally with being on her own since my dad passed away.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

I’ve had a lot of those same thoughts in the last year Duke. The three weeks I was waiting for the spinal cord biopsy that never happened was horrendous mentally but made me appreciate my life all the more.

I’m not far from 50 myself and definitely at the peak of my earning capacity. In 2 years the gas field project I work on dries up and I literally have no idea what I will be doing for employment.

I’ve gone from as fit as a fiddle to a broken down wreck in a year and regret the way I’ve treated my body with such disregard. I’ve always been mindful of health but brutal in the way I’ve tossed myself off mountain bikes, motorbikes, car smashes (used to rally) and jumping out of aircraft, DIY mishaps and just being a clumsy stupid f**k. You’re not invincible no matter how young or drunk you are.

I’m just hoping my knowledge, experience and networking with serve me well for the next chapter and I can provide for my kids till they can for themselves.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I should regret the way I've treated my body, but feck it, it was fun. When I think of the shit I've put through my system or put my body through I can only conclude I'm some sort of a cockroach seeing as I'm still functioning. I've got some memories that still make me smile. There is no point in leaving a healthy corpse.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

I'm not that far from fifty either... ;)
Birthdays are like your own little personal Y2K. I've been fortunate enough to meet some women who have no right to look as good as they do, at the age they're at....and at the same time some girls barely into their 20's who look like death-warmed-up-in-a-microwave.

The one thing I really notice is my endurance - or maybe I just get bored...the "drive" is not there like it used to be when it comes to running, cycling, etc.
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

I hit 54 this year , smoked since I was 12 , worked full time since I was 14 , never consciously done any exercise for the sake of exercise , I rarely drink alcohol though , I eat whatever I like - I do avoid palm oil and processed foods as much as I can and hardly ever have a take-away , apart from some aches and pains from accidents and scraps I've had in the past and my PTSD I feel pretty good , I don't intend to change my lifestyle for the sake of longevity . When the end comes I just hope its painless and quick until that time I intend to carry on as I am .
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

There are many things we could all say about what we have learnt, but i think the most important thing for me has been taking opportunities when they arise - minor or major - that can be anything and on any day, but see where things lead and if there is an opportunity to move things on, move on up or help someone, then do it.

So far it's served me well and i think i say everyday "you never know whats round the corner so make the best of it".

I'm in a completely different place to how i ever imagined my life to pan out, but i'm happier for it.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

C00kiemonster wrote:There are many things we could all say about what we have learnt, but i think the most important thing for me has been taking opportunities when they arise - minor or major - that can be anything and on any day, but see where things lead and if there is an opportunity to move things on, move on up or help someone, then do it.

So far it's served me well and i think i say everyday "you never know whats round the corner so make the best of it".

I'm in a completely different place to how i ever imagined my life to pan out, but i'm happier for it.
That is very good advice.

When I was in my 20’s I got offered a non paid position to spanner for a national level rally driver. I didn’t take it up cause I met a chick. That guy went on to win the championship a few years later and racing overseas.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

This is a very moving post to be honest.

I'm 20 year aWay from 50 but I have learned lots since I was 20. I've changed my attitude but my fitness has dwindled, but I'm happy.

There's a few people at work who are very caught up with pay scales. We all get paid differently according to experience - I'm mid way compared to the guys who are in their 40s or 50s so I know I'm on the right scale) but some of the guys who are in their 20s get pissed off that the guys who have worked for the company for 25 year + are on more money than them..I tell them that they will get to that point but with time, not 1 year away but 10, 15 years. It's hard to break through that barrier when they are still in their 20s. I used to be the same I guess but now I'm in my 30s I've realised life isn't about chasing money, overtime, working like a dog, it's about doing your bit at work, turn off after work but enjoyong life and being happy. Go on holidays, get out on the bike, take fanily walks, got oit for meals, even small little things like going cinema or playing crazy golf etc.

Id like to see what id write in another 10-15 years and see where i am then.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
duke63

Post by duke63 »

duke63

Post by duke63 »

MiL has been diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia.

Its a particularly aggressive type of cancer and we were advised yesterday that full on chemo would not be an option in her case due to her age.

She has been offered a new drug which it is hoped may prevent the cancer cells multiplying to quickly. Its a course of injection every day over one week and then once per month.

They will review it after three months to see if it has had any effect.

She will also have to have weekly blood transfusions.

She has taken it all remarkably well and is coping like the trojan she has always been.

Hopefully we can help to make this last phase of her life as comfortable and rewarding as possible.

Never ever leave til tomorrow, something that you have the opportunity to do today.

Tomorrow may have something else in store for you.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Sorry to hear that.

My mum's leukemia is reasonably stable so it does appear that they can help some forms with medication. She has to have the blood transfusions as well.

Out of interest how old is she?
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

We just had news of a family friend dying suddenly from a brain aneurysm in her early 50s.

The following day my fiancé's uncle was told he has lymphoma and will be undergoing chemo
Itchy
Your Bike: Kawasaki Z1000

Post by Itchy »

duke63 wrote:
Never ever leave til tomorrow, something that you have the opportunity to do today.

Tomorrow may have something else in store for you.
This.

After missing the chance to ever see my Dad again by one day, these words are poignantly true to me.
For what little it's worth duke, my thoughts are with you and your family.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

She is 78.

I think its a combination of her age and the fact the leukemia is quite advanced, TBH.

I guess someone at some point has to decide if expensive treatments are value for money and actually would give someone a life that is worth living. Having seen the damage full on chemo does, i'm not sure its right option in her case anyway.

The treatment she has been offered in some kind of less invasive chemo that is given by injection. They reckon it works in about 40% of cases but its not a cure, it just stops the cancer cells multiplying.
bb41
Your Bike: GSXR750

Post by bb41 »

Loved reading this and although I don't post much I read and catch up frequently.

I'm 55 this summer and live a totally different way of life than even 20 years ago.. I have no parents or siblings as they have long since left this mortal coil and have 2 girls, one 34 and one 30 .

Gave up smoking 10 months ago, still want one every day but needs must.

Life is slower now and my dreams of yesteryear are no longer a priority . After moving back to my home town after 4 years of living a dream I realised in my time away that what you have is not important but the people you are surrounded by is far better

One thing that really bothered me whilst being away and getting older was how my children and grand son would feel if I became ill and not being able to visit regularly, I realised I was being slightly selfish and decided to come home

Thankfully sold in a couple of hours but was a stressful 12 weeks going through the process of buying an empty house and dealing with Powers of attorney

I think if luck hadn't been on my side my house would still be up for sale so probably feeling pretty miserable now , property isn't moving certainly here and although this house needs a total renovation and in a conservation area so even have to ask to change the loo paper, it's nice to be living in the same village as one daughter and a couple of miles from grand son ...the weight of end of life scenarios have been lifted

From a very big party person 20 years ago I have shed all those people who were only acquaintances and my inner circle is very small now and only see one of many now and again

My one big vice is a bottle of wine 3-4 times a week so way over what the guidelines tell you but I can live with that vice happily

My eating habits have changed too , I have always loved cooking but source everything locally and only use supermarkets for the basics , I care a bit more about what goes in . A naturally thin person. cholesterol has a habit of creeping up on you so a careful diet relying on copious amounts of olive oil and cook in nothing else

Self preservation is high up on the list in my risk taking so a couple of years ago I took myself off the road on 2 wheels but still have some great fun off road with my grand son, although he is far better than I am and falling off hurts me a lot more and recovery longer

I wished I listened to my late Mother more as she was right, would love to live the way my late father did but living at 100 miles an hour ended his life very early so a balance between the two is what I hope to achieve

I have no more ambitions , and no regrets about leaving a few off the list which have passed me by, but still hope in the future some more exciting times are ahead but taking care of the animals in their later years is where my priorities lie for now., but no more hard rescues on the animal front ( I think the family would get a bit cross especially after an incident last weekend which nearly ended up in the hip fracture clinic )

I'm happy to be 55 and have no wish to go back in years just look forward to what awaits in the future and hope problems are few , basically health of my family which we all hope for is the most important thing, everything else is a bonus ...oh and as long as I can do a music festival once a year is always a big bonus, no Glastonbury this year so off to rambling man on my Todd :D

Duke sorry to hear about your news and hope all that can be done is being done for you all xx
Live each day as your last as one day you'll be right !!