Cav's Portimao Trip

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Cav's Portimao Trip

Post by Cav »

I'm back, I'm alive and I had the BEST time! (rock)

7 days in Portugal, 3 days on Portimao Circuit and 2 nights of heavy drinking - it was a pretty bloody awesome stag do!

We stayed in the Tivoli Marina hotel with the best breakfast sunrise view I've ever seen; overlooking two Marinas alongside the estuary and opposite a fort (over which the sun rose). 100% would stay there again.

First day we visited some sea caves, about a 3 hour walk across hundreds of these caves and overhangs - beautiful scenery and worth a visit. Sadly, no ice cream van was present so we had to make do with out water instead.

Day 2, 3 and 4 we were on circuit. What a bloody circuit Portimao is! Those who have been there will know what I mean when I say it's like Donington Park on a growth hormone, steroid and cocaine fuelled diet that's been working out every day since it's been created! 3 days on circuit and I still don't know it that well. I'd rate it a 10/10, Catalunya a 7/10 and Donington at 6/10.

Circuit Day 1:
I had zero confidence. The bike didn't feel great, I was uncomfortable, I hated the circuit and I was braking like a wuss! By the end of the day I was doing a little better and started to enjoy certain parts of the track, no longer was I braking at 300m on the start straight, I was down to about 260m. Fastest lap was around 2.05.

Circuit Day 2:
Confidence was beginning to come back. I'd been working on the bikes ergonomics on Day 1 and suspension changes through Days 1 & 2, they were working. The bike felt very compliant and BOOM! I got my elbow down !!!! (party) The sense of overwhelming achievement was unbelievable - furthermore, I hit my apex and set my fastest lap at the same time. I was into the 2.01s. After lunch I moved into Advanced Group.

Last session of the day, I nearly packed up for the day. I'm glad I didn't. I ended up having the best play on circuit of my life with 2 guys in my garage (riding a GSXR 750 and R1). I was having a chilled ride following the GSXR when I got overtaken by the R1. If the R1 got past the GSXR I was going to follow him for the session. Well he did get past the GSXR and I followed. It became a 3-way battle with a relatively empty circuit (except for a 1299 FE). We were dicing, riding within touching distance of each other, trying to pass eachother. I ended up getting to the front just as the session ended. Came back in the garage and we had so much respect for one another, laughing about how we couldn't pass eachother. It was phenomenal!!!

They were both shocked by my bike being a 600, they didn't have much over me on the straights and they both said they knew they couldn't get me on the brakes into turn 1 as I "braked like a demon". The R1 wasn't happy when I showed him the 30,000 miles on the dashboard and I also dragged elbow in front of him :D

Circuit Day 3:
Sore from the day before I was taking it easier. The circuit hooked up so good that I was getting personal best laps every lap with minimal effort and braking at 200m for turn 1. Best lap: 1.58.4. I was on for a 1.57 but I couldn't pass a 765RS quick enough so bailed to the pits.

Unfortunately, dicing with an R1M, his conrod had other thoughts on its purpose and poked a hole through the engine. Shrapnel and debris hit me and my bike puncturing a hole in my radiator. That was the end of my trip... or so I thought!....

My mate has a Gen 2 BMW S1000RR kitted very very well - separate post to follow - and he let me out on it after lunch. I joined my 3 other mates in their group and had a bit of a play. It was a great way to end the trip, slower laps on an incredible machine with my mates, watching them try and pass each other. It was one of my mate's 2nd trackday so to watch his improvement was very rewarding.

As we were getting into the car to leave, there was a bit of scraping and banging... some knobcheese decided a J-turn in a mini-SUV on a very grippy surface was a great idea. The car rolled - it was hilarious! The car was 100% a write-off so who knows what happened with the hire car company :D

That night we watched the MotoGP in a sports bar and headed into town for drink.. what happens on tour stays on tour though (lol)

It's fair to say I'm happy to be home but I had the best time ever.. the Mrs-to-be wants to come on the next Euro trip which sounds like permission to me!!!
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Re: Cav's Portimao Trip

Post by D41 »

You got your elbow down??
Holy fcuk....I'm impressed. Very impressed.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

(clap)
I'm not jealous. (shake)
I'm not jealous. (shake) (shake)
I'm really not jealous. (whew) (shake) (shake)
I'm not jealous. (facepalm)

(envy)

Cav wrote:..... the Mrs-to-be wants to come on the next Euro trip which sounds like permission to me!!!
Win win win......
(y)
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

(wait) Forgot to ask...: How did your mate with the 675 get on please Cav.?
Cav

Post by Cav »

Ah.. yeah..

Soo.... he crashed.

Very low speed and his leg was between his bike and the floor so minimum damage happened. GB Engine Covers did their job and so did his crash bung. Cheeky bugger got shoulder down too!! (lol)

The crash didn't have him down at all though, he went straight out next session and learned from it.

The bike didn't miss a beat and sounded sweet, he improved from 2.35s down to sub 2.15. We were all chuffed for him
Cav

Post by Cav »

Those of you who'll zoom in will notice this isn't elbow down, I'm gutted he didn't get the actual touch down shot and so was he. There's apparently video evidence coming my way of elbow down though (y)
2M_AJP3296.jpg
One more photo before I get off for the night...

This is me day dreaming before session 1... I look like I could kill my mate on his swanky S1000RR :D

Also, the orange bib has stag written on the back.. they made me wear it for Day 1 (lol)
2M_AJP9885.jpg
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

(clap) (clap) (clap) (clap)
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Great write up of what sounds like an awesome trip.

We must do something like this as a Tankslap event one year.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

Couple of hoes and a bit if chisser up the nose and that sounds like the perfect stag do, nice one Dude.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Cav

Post by Cav »

Haha.. no comment :D
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Wow what a trip Cav. That's a trip you will cherish the memorys of for ever. Awesome riding enjoyed and some superb photos.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Here's a bit of footage for you.

End of Day 2, started off just following the GSXR 750 then the R1 came past and I had to follow!

This was so much better than this video suggests - by far the most epic track battle I've ever had.

[video]https://youtu.be/DDBQq5vbMg0[/video]
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

That is a cracking session Cav, it might sound daft, but I was riding that with you. I love the heavy braking moan your front discs make at the end of the start/finish straight. Quality. 8)
Cav

Post by Cav »

That's awesome.. cheers mate!

Yeah the front brakes take a hammering - they're now purple! (lol)

Front brake setup is:
Brembo RCS19
Brembo Serie Oro 320mm
Bendix MCR
Stock Nissin 2-piece calipers
Braided Hoses

I don't want or need anything stronger, these are staggering!!
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Great session Cav. That zx6r was certainly made to work hard. Loads of corner speed and early on the gas. I wish I was that confident on a bike.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Thanks mate, the fastest laps in this video were all 2.02 - unfortunately I forgot to put the memory card back in the camera for my 1.58 lap - the braking and throttle application were both much more vigorous :D
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Absolute class write up Cav. Sounds like you had a staggering stag do, nd to be honest what a stag do lol!! Footage was awesome you are a demon!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Cav

Post by Cav »

Preview clip sent to me by a guy on the R1 I shared a garage with.. poor quality because he recorded it on his phone unfortunately. I hope the proper version is uploaded to YouTube soon!!

[video]https://youtu.be/mQj5alzr64Q[/video]
Cav

Post by Cav »

Following an instructor for 1 lap (y)

[video]https://youtu.be/NLddxuuiZtg[/video]
Cav

Post by Cav »

My last session of the trip.

At the end of the video you see a big cloud of oil from an R1M with a blown engine, some debris hits my radiator and cuts my trip short

[video]https://youtu.be/4_rcDqwMj0I[/video]