Who thought it would be so hard to spend money?

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
T.C.
Your Bike: Blackbird

Who thought it would be so hard to spend money?

Post by T.C. »

My garage needs a new roof (Badly) and so I spoke to several local roofing companies asking for a quote.

In total I spoke to 7 local firms so I would have a good cross section of prices, guarantees, time scales and so on.

All 7 made appointments to visit me so that they could provide an accurate estimate and see the full extent of the damage and work that needed to be done.. Not a problem for me as I assumed they would all want to see the garage anyway, so on that basis I made sure I stayed in on the times and dates their appointments were for.

I made it clear that I was ready to authorise commencement of work ASAP.

Of the 7 firms I spoke to, 5 never bothered to keep the appointment, 1 turned up gave a price but 10 days on I am still waiting for the written quote.

Only 1 has made any effort, and to be fair his price was very good along with hos guarantee (and its in writing) so he has the job. But I find it amazing that trades people don't want my money. Are they really that busy and disinterested in new work?

Nice to know that they can afford to be so choosy in this day and age, but you would at least think they would be more professional and tell me they don't want my money.
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world than 30 years early in the next
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Re: Who thought it would be so hard to spend money?

Post by C00kiemonster »

Most if not all building trades can dictate when and what they work on at the moment in my experience. I've been renovating a house for a mate and it has been by far the hardest element of the job. Dont get me started on decent plasterers!

Everyone is extending their houses rather than moving these days so plenty of work out there!

Glad you found at least one!
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

my mate has had similar problems he had a wall needed repointing , me and him ended up doing it , according to my builder friend the money is all in new builds so they are reluctant to do anything else .
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

We needed some plastering work doing in our old house. Trying to find one you could trust was a nightmare

The guy we used was booked for 7 months (always a good sign) and he missed his first day as he was finishing off another job.

But it was worth it. The walls were like glass when he was done.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

New construction is just production work....it's straightforward, & the same thing day in, day out....R&R, restoration, fire damage, flood damage, etc....they're a frickin' nightmare, & they don't pay commensurate with the unknown problems that you nearly ALWAYS end up dealing with.
If it were me, I'd put in a really high bid & just hope the customer finds someone else cheaper....or just give the job to someone else and take a referral fee.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Kwacky wrote:We needed some plastering work doing in our old house. Trying to find one you could trust was a nightmare

The guy we used was booked for 7 months (always a good sign) and he missed his first day as he was finishing off another job.

A good plasterer is amazing to watch. It's one of the few things in a house i couldnt do and i dont know how they do it.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

C00kiemonster wrote:
Kwacky wrote:We needed some plastering work doing in our old house. Trying to find one you could trust was a nightmare

A good plasterer is amazing to watch. It's one of the few things in a house i couldnt do and i dont know how they do it.
I’ve done a reasonable amount of plastering over the years renovating and have always had it looking good when finished. But I’m by no means fast and at least 50% of what I put on ends up as dust again after I’ve sanded it back (facepalm)
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

My soon to be F-I-L AND B-I-L used to work on owned homes but now they have a good selection of new homes literally everywhere they get work everyday and now even 6 days a week.

Infact this week they are working down my road on new builds, it was only a matter of time. We are seeing hundreds if not more new homes being built in the area these guys arent short of work. T.C. I believe you live in our area so you will fully understand the extent of how many new homes are being built within a 20 mins drive radius

But go back 10 years and people were killing themselves due to the stresses of having no work (true story), you can see why now they can be picky

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

T.C. wrote:..... Are they really that busy and disinterested in new work?

Nice to know that they can afford to be so choosy in this day and age, but you would at least think they would be more professional and tell me they don't want my money.

:?
Sounds as if there must be a demand, so perhaps a ready opportunity for someone to re-train & cash in on that market demand.?
T.C. wrote:Anyone know of any jobs that would be suitable for a former traffic cop and crash investigator?

Just been told that I am being made redundant as of Monday.

I will consider anything within reason bearing in mind my knackered ticker.
Good cardio-vascular workout every day as well.?? (happy)