Mandatory speed limiters to all new vehicles within 3 years

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Re: Mandatory speed limiters to all new vehicles within 3 ye

Post by D41 »

Jack wrote:It might have avoided a possible collision with the car in front but could have caused many more by braking so hard , particularly if the following vehicles do not have these advanced systems .
That really only means that the following drivers are either too close to the vehicle they're following, not paying attention, or a combination of the two.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

They could always get around it by making it illegal for men to drive in rural areas and illegal for women to drive in cities. You know.. seeing as that's what the majority of accidents are.

The other factors in all of this are weather and tyres.. I'm unclear as to how good these systems are at picking up changes in weather (I.e. minimum10x stopping distance in ice) and also condition of tyres. For instance, if the car I was driving did a full emergency stop with brand new premium wet weather tyres in the pouring rain and the car behind me with the same emergency system had 2mm of tread from a budget summer tyre (obviously driving in the same conditions) they might still hit me.
D41

Post by D41 »

What are you smoking?
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

D41 wrote:
That really only means that the following drivers are either too close to the vehicle they're following, not paying attention, or a combination of the two.
Which we know from experience covers about 90% of drivers 90% of the time .
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47715415" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I see a lot of heat on social media about this topic. No doubt it's been flared up because it's coming from Europe.

But if people read up on it you can still exceed the speed limit when you need to .
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Kwacky wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47715415

I see a lot of heat on social media about this topic. No doubt it's been flared up because it's coming from Europe.

But if people read up on it you can still exceed the speed limit when you need to .
It's the compulsory black box that concerns me more.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Just make sure you don't need to buy a car by the time the new rules come in ;)

I'm making sure I look after my motorbikes because I can see the black boxes being put on those as well.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Kwacky wrote:Just make sure you don't need to buy a car by the time the new rules come in ;)

I'm making sure I look after my motorbikes because I can see the black boxes being put on those as well.
Agreed, same strategy here ;)
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

I have a feeling 2021 will be a bumper year for the sales of performance cars.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Oh well, it could be worse. You could be a lawyer who relies on European laws and car crashes (facepalm)
Blade

Post by Blade »

There will always be car crashes whether Muppets or electronics are in the driving seat.

Undertakers will go out of buisness before you will :)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

It's ok, I've got loads of experience of dealing with deaths and serious injuries at work. People love showing off their stupidity in the work place.
T.C.
Your Bike: Blackbird

Post by T.C. »

Despite what the tossers at "Brake" (who do not have a clue, say, bearing in mind that I was interviewed on the radio when Brake said that we should introduce an offence of failing to stop and report an accident ) putting my professional driver and rider head on for a moment, I see potentially all sorts of problems pending although this is just my own personal opnion.

Firstly as already pointed out, it is not speed that kills but innapropriate speed for the conditions and the sudden stopping from high speed that kills. So to blame all serious crashes on excess speed is not only a dangerous game to play, but an inaccurate scaremongering statement.

Following on from that, drivers (and riders) need the flexibility to be able to increase or decrease their speed according to conditions, for example entering a motorway, picking off a quick overtake or just a situation where a quick sport of power can prevent a crash occuring (and I have seen a few of these). The driver needs to be able to retain the flexibility to increase of reduce his speed accordingly.

If all vehicles are limited, this will cause frustration and probablya darn sight more congestion. Look what happens when a restricted HGV tries to pass another restricted HGV on a dual carriageway? Everything gets backed up and drivers get angry and frustrated.

The other point that comes immidiately to mind is that I anticipate that the accident rate will increase, because like current moped riders (the legal ones not the knife wealding little shits althouhg it culd also apply) is that everyone will have just 2 speeds, flat out and stop and so cars will be thrashed to within an inch of their life.

The 2nd hand market will price benefit those with non restricted vehicles as demand will be higher.

The Government will loose millions in revenue from speeding fines.

Car accessory and tuning firms will be put out of business and I bet the new car market wil take a bigger hit than it already has.

Watch the illegal businesses of overiding the limiters spring up to replace compete with the mileage clocking scams.

On top of which, it gets approved, whover is in power come the following general election can probab;y be guaranteed of being kicked out of power.

Its the old story of rules being decided by idiots who do not have the first idea about motoring matters, not dissimilar to when I sat on the BSi Committee about black visors and because the Pedestrian Association said "No" that was it and it was thrown out despite all the benefits and positive arguments put forward regarding enhancing safety for riders.

I give up with this shit hole of a country these days.
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world than 30 years early in the next
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I disagree.

Speeding fines don't cover the costs of accidents on the road, so that's not a concern.

The speeding limiter can be overridden when needed. So I don't think we'll see more accidents. The limiter won't be the only piece of tech in the cars. It'll be alongside a host of other driver aids which will include distance measurement and braking assistance.

Most congestion on A roads and motorways is caused by variations in speed. How often has there been very slow or standstill traffic on a motorway for no obvious cause? We've all seen the concertina effect of people driving too close and someone braking in front. The car behind panic brakes and you get the follow on effect. If vehicles are limited to the speed limit of the road then congestion will be reduced as more vehicles will be travelling at the same speed limit.

Just because a car has a speed limiter on it does not mean that the car will be engineered to only reach 70mph so I don't believe that we'll see them thrashed within an inch of their life.

So I think it's a step in the right direction towards driverless cars.
D41

Post by D41 »

Aren't your roads already some of the safest in the world?? They're right up there with Sweden & one or two others, yes??
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Used to be. We're dropping down the safety rankings
TriumphFan
Your Bike: Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports

Post by TriumphFan »

Used to be no.1, 3rd or 4th now. Funnily enough, we dropped from 1st around about the same time I stopped being a traffic plod!! Uncanny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blade

Post by Blade »

Kwacky wrote:Used to be. We're dropping down the safety rankings
Has this coincided with the reduction in traffic Police and the reliance on cameras or other tech ?
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

It's a number of factors. The lack of visible policing means that drivers feel they can get away with now, including using phones and speeding.

Car safety also increases risk taking.

A drop in people having insurance also means drivers take more risks.
TriumphFan
Your Bike: Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports

Post by TriumphFan »

Certainly major issues up here with restructuring of police and reduction in numbers...

There was a real push for upping numbers (of tickets issued) a few years back, which (in my opinion) detracted from the areas that should have been targeted to stop fatal and serious crashes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk