World Politics Stuff (not brexit)

Topics covering world politics and political events. To hide this section go to your control panel and join the group "Hide Politics"
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Re: World Politics Stuff (not brexit)

Post by D41 »

No, but it definitely has a bearing re. proximity, ease of entry, & so on. It's a lot easier to jump a fence (in places where there is one) than it is to traverse a body of water.
Someone breaks into a house....it's illegal, no question about it.
Someone breaks into our country & we're expected to pander to them??....I don't think so.

Also....you asked about "cruel and inhumane treatment"? "I don't know" is the short answer. Again....we're not creating a problem by having a hard border, the people crossing it are the problem. The US/Canada border is the longest undefended border in the world ....it runs down the middle of streets, and even through the middle of houses in a few places....and yet the problems associated with it are few & far between.
Monty
Your Bike: 2010 ZX6R

Post by Monty »

D41 wrote:The US/Canada border is the longest undefended border in the world ....it runs down the middle of streets, and even through the middle of houses in a few places....and yet the problems associated with it are few & far between.
I’m betting a few million Canadians wouldn’t agree with that :D
Monty™© MCMLXXII
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

D41, there is a lot of in between ‘pandering to them’ and locking them in cages open to the elements.

If someone’s life is in that much peril that they decide taking the risk of illegal entry isn’t it only humane to help them? What are borders anyway. Made up lines in the dirt designated by invaders.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
D41

Post by D41 »

kiwikrasher wrote:D41, there is a lot of in between ‘pandering to them’ and locking them in cages open to the elements.

If someone’s life is in that much peril that they decide taking the risk of illegal entry isn’t it only humane to help them? What are borders anyway. Made up lines in the dirt designated by invaders.
So....your idea is for the Border Patrol to offer aid & assistance to an undefined number of people, who have crossed the border, and are doing their best to avoid the Border Patrol??

And borders "made up lines in the dirt designated by invaders??".....well, every country has borders. Every one. And that's just the way the world is...as an ex-military guy you know that better than most.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

So it's acceptable to keep parents and children in open cages?
D41

Post by D41 »

Where would you like us to keep them while they're being processed through the system....a hotel?
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

how long are they in these cages ?
why are they described as cages rather than cells ?
is it not customary to incarcerate people who break the laws ?
what if any ill effects have these people suffered from being confined in the open ?
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

They are called cages because they are cages.

FFS you don't even have to read the words, there's photos.
D41

Post by D41 »

They're breaking the law, and if caught then they're at the mercy of those whose job it is to uphold it....it's as simple as that.

Don't like being caged?....then don't break laws in a country that has cages for lawbreakers.
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

Kwacky wrote:They are called cages because they are cages.

FFS you don't even have to read the words, there's photos.

so are prison cells , what is the difference ?

The language used influences opinion .

The story could just as easily read : Criminals caught at the border incarcerated .

Would you object to that ?
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

No I wouldn't. Of course I wouldn't.

I don't object to law enforcement. I object to the way people are being treated. Prison cells have a toilet. Prison cells aren't exposing the occupant to all of the elements. Prison cells have a bed. Prisoners get food and water.

It's got phuck all to do with the language. It's a cage - a wire metal structure. Nothing more. No walls. No floor. No ceiling. Bare. Metal. Wire.

Seriously, are people prepared to tolerate this? Because if that's the case we're talking about what Hitler, Stalin and North Korea liked to do coming up next.
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

There are a couple of things I think are a bit off , the fact that some of them are there for 30 days and the lack of bathing facilities , there are toilet facilities there . They also get food and water , you can't survive 30 days without it , prisoners complain that the quality and quantity of food are sub standard in every single jail in the world .
The USBF is under a lot of pressure and these facilities were not designed or intended for the use they are getting .
The article doesn't seem to indicate if further facilities are being built or what if anything is being done to alleviate the situation , there could well be facilities being built but the writer has no interest in finding out . I think that the article and the language used are promoting an agenda . The story would be damning if there were evidence that this was the norm and planned future but there is no such evidence presented . It is an unfortunate situation but there is no evidence that it is planned or that there are no plans in place to fix it .
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

The Twitter thread tells you there are facilities purposely built which remain empty.

Please folks, read stuff before replying.
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

The twitter feed is hearsay , it's all " my friend said , my friend saw " where is the evidence ? The one photo is the one from the article .
Lots of Americans will tell you "my friend saw a UFO " that doesn't make it true .

If it is true its pretty nasty but I can see no evidence in the twitter post
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

You can ignore the twitter accounts if you like.

Our you could hit Google to see what comes up.

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a ... ies-trump/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.nytimes.com/topic/subject/i ... -detention" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ns-reports" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/l ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
D41

Post by D41 »

Kwacky wrote:
Seriously, are people prepared to tolerate this? Because if that's the case we're talking about what Hitler, Stalin and North Korea liked to do coming up next.
Oh....I think that's a bit of an overreaction, don't you?? Hitler had concentration camps with the sole purpose of exterminating people...as many as he could, and as fast as possible.
Nothing like that is even remotely likely or possible here...there's no "Final Solution" in the making, there just isn't.....which is a pity really, as those Mexican girls have beautiful hair, and I've been looking at getting a new mattress soon.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I see the US has disclosed even more evidence against Iran. They've even got photos of handprints left behind.

They're really sloppy, these Iranian Special Forces.

P.S. In unrelated news, Iran switched from the dollar to the Euro for international trading.

Also in unrelated news, Libya and Syria did the same.

Oh and the EU wants to do the same.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Kwacky wrote:I see the US has disclosed even more evidence against Iran. They've even got photos of handprints left behind.

They're really sloppy, these Iranian Special Forces. ..
I guess that goes to show how poor senior management can effect even the most proficient of organisations.: At least under previous administrations, the CIA were subtle..
Kwacky wrote:.....Also in unrelated news, Libya and Syria did the same.

Oh and the EU wants to do the same.
Now if that ^ happened, I can see Trump being seriously pissed off.
(wait) I wonder, perhaps wouldn't the Yen be a more stable & secure option.?
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Yuan and gold is where it's at

https://asia.nikkei.com/Markets/Commodi ... ed-by-gold" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://nationalinterest.org/commentary ... -back-7809" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting to see a few enemies of the USA on the list of countries who have increased their gold reserves.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

(headbang) My bad, I intended to write Yuan, not Yen. Sorry.
In my defence, it's confusing that they both use the same symbol ¥