Surprising

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
T.C.
Your Bike: Blackbird

Surprising

Post by T.C. »

I had a phone call from a chap this afternoon who still had my mobile phone number from a talk I gave to a motorcycle group 5 or 6 years ago and now wanted my help after a bad crash

He had my old business card in front of him

He has sustained some horrific injuries.

Anyway, the point I was that I find amazing is how long people hang onto contact details for.

Unless I put them on my system within 48 hours or so, I can usualy guarantee that they are lost for an eternity.
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world than 30 years early in the next
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Surprising

Post by Kwacky »

I've got a load of business cards. I really need a sort out.

I hope he's doing ok
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

I've had it happen a few times over the years.....leave a business card with someone and ten years later they call you back.....which is about the norm for carpet....7-10 year lifespan.

7-10 months if children are involved....but that's what warranties are for.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

D41 wrote:I've had it happen a few times over the years.....leave a business card with someone and ten years later they call you back.....which is about the norm for carpet....7-10 year lifespan.

7-10 months if children are involved....but that's what warranties are for.
My carpet needs changing now but my kids are 9 & 12 and in the not to distant future will be added to with a 8 & 11 yr old, so I’m going to let them wear it down to the underlay cause new carpet will just get trashed
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Replace it now with a base grade carpet & then wait until after they move out to go "all out".
Personally I think hard-surface is the best way to go....especially with your climate. Tile or wood...marble is a bit maintenance intensive. So is wood for that matter but it really does look nice.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Re T.C’s OP, I left a business card with a customer approx 12-14 yrs ago, I’d changed jobs and phone numbers and hadn’t seen the customer in years, but one day my Wife had a call on our home phone from this guy asking for my new number, she hadn’t a clue who he was, and it turned out he was ringing everyone in my area with the same name as me, she called me to verify him and I called him back and sorted his issue out with a 4 hr visit. All from one very old and stained card, I left him with few of the new ones just in case. ;)

Re The flooring - what Daz said, we’ve recently upgraded some of our old wood flooring, the old stuff always looked good and wore really well, despite it being 15yrs old and was low quality at the time of purchase, it survived us, kids parties, MiniGee’s balance bike, dogs and numerous drinks spills, it only died following a radiator failure. Carpets were getting replaced every 3-5 years fwiw.
Fingers crossed the new stuff lasts as long, looks very good btw. (y)
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

D41 wrote:Replace it now with a base grade carpet & then wait until after they move out to go "all out".
Personally I think hard-surface is the best way to go....especially with your climate. Tile or wood...marble is a bit maintenance intensive. So is wood for that matter but it really does look nice.
karndean...

We've got it in the kitchen with a slate tile effect, my bother has the whole of the down stairs of his house in an oak effect.

It's virtually indestructible, but if and when you damage one you can just replace one tile. The warranty is amazing too. My brother scratched a tile the day after it was layed, the came out next day and replaced it FOC.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Wow to be honest I think it's down to impression and clesrly you made the right impression on this guy who clearly remembered you. That's really good in my opinion

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Re flooring (sorry for hijack TC (lol) )

I’ve got mixed floor coverings. The carpet is only in 3 of 4 bedrooms and the lounge. Under that is just chip board. If it was timber I’d be sanding and polishing for sure!

Kitchen/family room & bar area are slate
Bathrooms are tiles
Dining room, hallways and Byrons bedroom are polished floor boards.

And although we do get hot summers it still is slightly below zero for a good portition of the winter nights. So carpet and a fire are nice!
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.