Someone please let me know...

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Someone please let me know...

Post by Rossgo »

How average speed cameras work?!

Got onto the M4 with all these crappy speed cameras at around 0130hrs and seen so many people driving like Muppets

Seen 3 driving easily well over 50MPH probably more closer too 100MPH but break HARD for the cameras then go accelerating away again

Seen another 5 who just didn't even care about them and carried on blowing past them at I would say 80-90MPH.

Are they turned off for certain times?are people just stupid? Or are they playing with fire?

I was doing 50MPH and all of these guys went blowing past me. Not together but separately

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Re: Someone please let me know...

Post by Deegee »

They do what it says in the name, calculate your average speed between cameras, there was a big fuss some years ago with people alleging that the cameras couldn’t track you if you lane changed between cameras. That was supposedly debunked not long after the rumours circulated about how to evade them.

I don’t know anyone that’s had a ticket for these average speed cameras, so maybe they are another victim of personnel or equipment cuts?

Fwiw I use the M4 regularly and go through those roadworks, but I obey the limit (I need my licence for work), so it sounds like the people that were speeding are: A, playing Russian roulette with their licence or B, they’ve got false plates on or C, they belong to some speed camera cognoscenti who know more than we do.
T.C.
Your Bike: Blackbird

Post by T.C. »

In the roadworks juch as between junction 10 and 8/9 they are on all the time.

They measure time over distance to give an average speed, so the faster you go the higher your average speed, the slower you go the lower your average speed (which may seem a bit obvious) but at the end of the day it all comes down how quickly you travel from point A to point B.

So if for example your speed creeps up to 60 and then you drop it back down to 50 and then back to 55, your average will still be below 50 over the whole recorded distance bearing in mind that an allowance for speed error has to be made as well.

Where there are variable speed limits, these cameras are not turned on all the time.

The cameras send their digital pictures through to the Force control room who in conjunction with the matrix boards can vary speed limits but the actual pictures are sent to the central ticket office (may go straight to them in some areas) sd there is no limit to how many pictures can be taken and stored.

People do get done by them. My Mrs will testify to that when she was taking her parents to Heathrow for an early morning flight. Got caught eastbound M4 at 8/9. Average speed of 63. 3 points and £100 fine later ......... (wasntme)

And we live less than 2 minutes from junction 10 of the M4 so she knew they were there (y)
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world than 30 years early in the next
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Can the variable speed limit, cameras on a motorway capture an offence if it is below 70mph?

Urban myth suggests that although the sign posted speed limit may vary the cameras are only set to trigger at one specific speed and obviously that has to be set at the highest of the variable limit scale, so Ssome where above 70mph.

My point is if you went past a camera in a sign posted variable speed limit of 50mph at 63mph would the camera trigger the breaking of the sign posted speed limit? Or as you are still below 70mph the camera would not record the breaking of the variable speed limit.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Yes, the cameras can have their speed setting changed.

It's the old roadside gatso cameras that are set at a fixed speed trigger
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I forgot to mention, there's a 2 minute delay with the cameras. So if the posted speed is changed, the cameras don't trigger at the new speed for 5 minutes
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Thanks guys

Well those people who where giving it hell last night are getting tickets. I can't imagine all of those guys were on false plates. I couldn't beleieve how many I saw but like you guys have mentioned its a full junction so they weren't in convoy they were all seperate and just flawing it.

Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

T.C.

These cameras - are they capturing your speed between each camera and therefore you get a ticket between point A first camera and point B second camera, and so on and so forth until the speed limit changes back to standard speed so therefore you could get multiple tickets at one road works

Or

Is it from the first camera of the set and the last camera of the set just before going back to standard speed?

If this makes sense?

Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Kwacky

Is it 2 mins or 5 mins? That's an interesting point as the amount of times it changes as you go blowing through at the last speed is insane I always thought they just wanted to catch people!!

Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

My bad. It's usually 2 minutes.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Rossgo wrote:Thanks guys

Well those people who where giving it hell last night are getting tickets. I can't imagine all of those guys were on false plates. I couldn't beleieve how many I saw but like you guys have mentioned its a full junction so they weren't in convoy they were all seperate and just flawing it.
(shocked) Don't think it would be false plates mate.!! (shake)
Everyone is using cloned plates these days Rossgo, didn't you know.?
Saves on: speeding tickets, road tax, loss of no claims, parking fines. It also makes it far easier to get away when you make off without paying.
Hth.
Last edited by StMarks on 11 Nov 2018, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

or crash into motorbikes
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

I think I'm detecting a note of sarcasm in the air.....

(music)
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

Kwacky wrote:My bad. It's usually 2 minutes.
I thought it was 1 minute? Eitherway, I begin slowing down through it as soon as it changes (by rolling off the throttle, not braking)
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

You will also be caught and photo'd driving through a red cross when a lane is closed now. That changed back in May.

Its the Hadecs 3 camera fixed to the gantry uprights you have to watch now. They are very clever and fitted where there are variable speed limits.
https://www.speedcamerasuk.com/hadecs-3.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are also starting to fit the Super Vulture cameras and not just on motorways.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/n ... d-13236451" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
T.C.
Your Bike: Blackbird

Post by T.C. »

Rossgo wrote:T.C.

These cameras - are they capturing your speed between each camera and therefore you get a ticket between point A first camera and point B second camera, and so on and so forth until the speed limit changes back to standard speed so therefore you could get multiple tickets at one road works
The average speed is only recorded between the first camera where you enter the restiction and the last camera at which you exit the restriction, so it would be one ticket, one offence, not several.

The facility is there to record speeds in individual sections but I have never known it to be used as it is intended as a deterent/threat as much as anything, but that is not to say that it has never been used.
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world than 30 years early in the next
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Cheers Kwacky for that information

Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

StMarks. Sadly you are right. I've known a few people to get issues with their plates being cloned. I had mine nicked but luckily never had anything coming back on me. Its a proper shame this is what people are doing. Well done poor got will be getting their letters through the post and they will have to prove it wasn't them

Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Duke thanks for the info. To be fair I always thought you would get caught for using a Red Crossed lane anyway so hasn't changed my thiught process! Yes those new cameras look scary seen them down the M3 and a couple other places, does my nut in

Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

T.C. ahh right ok thanks for the info. That's a question I've never known the answer to and I was even asked it by a couple of others as we've never really known! I hate these cameras, it's so tirering keeping at such a slow speed along a long length of what was fast motorway!