Any Queen (the band) fans here?

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
T.C.
Your Bike: Blackbird

Any Queen (the band) fans here?

Post by T.C. »

Having been a fan of Queens music since the very start, I have just got back from the cinema having been to see Bohemian Rhapsody.

If you enjoy their music and have not been to see it or you are not sure, you will love this. The casting is very clever, the music is brilliant and now I have Night at the Opera playing in the background.

Recommended........ :)
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world than 30 years early in the next
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Re: Any Queen (the band) fans here?

Post by D41 »

Is it based on real life?

Or is it just fantasy??
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Have seen the trailer TC and would like to see that.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I saw Queen in Ukraine with the new guy as lead vocals. He was pretty impressive.
kingfixer
Your Bike: 2019 Aprilia Dorsoduro 900

Post by kingfixer »

I was never really been a fan tbh, I liked some of their early stuff but that's about it.
https://gmrprojects.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
T.C.

Post by T.C. »

If you go, be prepared for the earworm.

Not giving anything away but the last track is "Don't stop me now"......

I have been humming it since we got home yesterday and this morning it is still in my head :D

Daughter has "We will rock you" stuck in her head apparently.

Wife has Bohemian Rhapsody in her head.

It is addictive.
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world than 30 years early in the next
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Me and the wife are trying to arrange a sitter atm to go and see this, I grew up on Queen and still love them, one of the reason I play guitar and am who I am is due to listening to them from as early as I can remember, we always had music on at home, and Queen was probably the most rock, and what started me down that path in life
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
D41

Post by D41 »

I think "We Will Rock You" set the bar for every hard rock band that followed. Awesome drum beat (that no-one can now ever use again!!).
And Brian May's guitar feedback puts him on an entirely different level before he's even played a note.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Fantastic so badly want to see this. I'll have to make it a date night with the misses haha

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I wouldn't call Queen hard rock.
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Kwacky wrote:I wouldn't call Queen hard rock.
I think Queen are a band that are impossible to put into any genre and that is perhaps their biggest quality, I mean what other band could have a back catalogue full of music as diverse as We will rock you, Somebody to Love, All Dead, All dead, Fat Bottomed Girls, Radio Ga Ga all the way to the Flash soundtrack.

Id say they have roots in rock and blues (Brian May was a HUGE Rory Gallagher fan and the reason Brian May used Vox AC30's and a treble booster to this day for his sound) But they ougrew that and diversified into a multi genre spanning phenominom.
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
D41

Post by D41 »

Neither would I.....but that song alone is definitely hard rock & pretty much embodies what most hard rock bands are trying to achieve - or any mainstream artists are trying to achieve for that matter.
You hear that song just one time & you'll never forget it.

Unlike a lot of songs, which are gone in a....

Flash! Ah-aahh!!
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

D41 wrote:
Neither would I.....but that song alone is definitely hard rock & pretty much embodies what most hard rock bands are trying to achieve - or any mainstream artists are trying to achieve for that matter.
You hear that song just one time & you'll never forget it.

Unlike a lot of songs, which are gone in a....

Flash! Ah-aahh!!
ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
bb41
Your Bike: GSXR750

Post by bb41 »

I saw them many moons ago when Freddie did his last tour . I was bit concerned whether the film would be a bit too whimsical as Freddie was OTT in everything he did and this film may gloss over the true events .
I actually haven't been to the cinema for years and will have to wait to see it.
Most people who have gone seem to enjoy it though, but I wondered if it's not totally biographical only just the good bits.
Live each day as your last as one day you'll be right !!
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

bb41 wrote:I saw them many moons ago when Freddie did his last tour . I was bit concerned whether the film would be a bit too whimsical as Freddie was OTT in everything he did and this film may gloss over the true events .
I actually haven't been to the cinema for years and will have to wait to see it.
Most people who have gone seem to enjoy it though, but I wondered if it's not totally biographical only just the good bits.
Fwiw almost everyone that I have heard from who have seen it have (like TC) loved the film.
The only negatives have been from "Queen devotees", and their negatives seemed more to reflect their own perceived "in depth knowledge" of the subject than honest critique imho. - So presumably if you go with pre-conceptions that you already "know the real story", then all you will see is exceptions & errors played by people that are not the real Queen members.!!
If I get to go, I will be looking to "enjoy a film that tells a story based on.."

I heard a few years ago that Sacha Baron Cohen was going to play Freddie.. Although I think he would have been perfect in many ways for the part, his association with the film may have detracted attention a little.?

Although I have always liked their music, I'll probably just wait until it's released onto terrestrial TV before I see the film.

(wait) Please tell me : based on what you saw, do you expect (if I take that ^ approach) I would only see a censored version .?
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

StMarks wrote: I heard a few years ago that Sacha Baron Cohen was going to play Freddie.. Although I think he would have been perfect in many ways for the part, his association with the film may have detracted attention a little.?
He was going to but him and Brian May apparently had a big falling out over it along with the original directors as they wanted it to be the Freddie Mercury story and Brian May wanted it to be the Queen story.
T.C.

Post by T.C. »

The story does evolve around Freddie more than the band per se, and it probably does gloss over some elements of his life, but it does also show the darker element to his private life and portrays him and he comes across as being a rather sad lonely individual.

The film starts and finishes with Live Aid 85 and in the 2 hours of the film, you would probably need more than that to be able to tell the whole story.

But, if you like a story based on fact, if you like great music and have a couple of hours to spare you will not be dissapointed.

I usually wait until a film comes up on the telly as well, but this is a movie where the cinema actually enhances the experience in terms of the music.

I have no idea of how accurate the story is. (I met the band once, all were really nice guys) but even if it is only based on fact, it is still a good story, the music though is worth the entrance fee alone.

But that is just my personal opinion for what its worth.
bb41
Your Bike: GSXR750

Post by bb41 »

St Marks.. I just didn't want to be a little disappointed , although I probably wouldn't go to the cinema to watch it.

Many docs particularly Freddie are pretty outrageous so I presume as TC said it's just a good watch with good music .
Live each day as your last as one day you'll be right !!
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

T.C. wrote:...I usually wait until a film comes up on the telly as well, but this is a movie where the cinema actually enhances the experience ...
I guess I'll have to invest a little time & effort, and get myself to a cinema then.
T.C. wrote:...... just my personal opinion for what its worth.
Always respect your opinion TC, even on those occasions when our views are "slightly out of sync" mate.
bb41 wrote:St Marks.. I just didn't want to be a little disappointed , although I probably wouldn't go to the cinema to watch it.

Many docs particularly Freddie are pretty outrageous so I presume as TC said it's just a good watch with good music .
Sorry bb41, I did come across rather "preachy" didn't I. (blush)
In mitigation I broached the subject with a friend only yesterday, as I knew he has always been a devoted fan. I went into the conversation with a positive attitude, buoyed up by the almost universal praise others had for the film. I then had to listen to a blow by blow account of how many errors there were in the narrative, & how terrible the choice of actors had been.! :^
I guess I felt that it may therefore have been appropriate to balance the positive feedback from TC with a caveat, when I saw you'd written "the film would be a bit too whimsical". On reflection I should realise by now you're too grounded to have unrealistic expectations.
D41

Post by D41 »

Cavetroll87 wrote:
He was going to but him and Brian May apparently had a big falling out over it along with the original directors as they wanted it to be the Freddie Mercury story and Brian May wanted it to be the Queen story.
Brian May can say whatever he wants, and to be fair he's stuck between a rock & a hard place.....but Freddie Mercury WAS Queen.....he was the frontman, and that's that.... Just as Debbie Harry was Blondie, Jim Morrison was The Doors, etc.

I'm sure Queen's new frontman is a great vocalist, musician, etc.....but the reality is that by continuing the band as he has, May has pretty much turned Queen into The Freddie Mercury Tribute Band.