Was given some good advice this morning

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
T.C.
Your Bike: Blackbird

Was given some good advice this morning

Post by T.C. »

Many of you might already know this, so my apologies, but I was given some advice this morning by my nurse which I had never heard before.

Today was INR blood test day which means trekking off down to the Doctors surgery (pre-arranged appointment) and having a needle stuck in my arm and precious red stuff drawn off.

Usually it is a quick in and out job, 5 minutes tops.

However, today, went to stick the needle in my left arm, and there was hardly a dribble. Tries in another vein, same problem.

Went into my right arm, first attempt nothing and then second attempt, bingo, the red stuff started to flow.

Apparently, difficulty in finding a vein or getting a good flow is often down to being dehydrated.

And so, I was told, if I have a glass of water or just a drink, the vein becomes easier to find and the claret flows easier.

Never knew that. So in 3 months time I will follow that advice, although in fairness it is not usually a problem I have really had before.

But had I known that, my arms would not be currently looking like a pin cushion and going a lovely shade of blue and purple

Never too old to learn something new though
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world than 30 years early in the next
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Was given some good advice this morning

Post by Kwacky »

I wonder why that advice isn't more widely known?
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Re: Was given some good advice this morning

Post by Deegee »

I found out the hard way that blood pressure drops (and veins collapse) if we aren’t properly hydrated. (blush)
Fwiw if you stand up and get a “head rush” you may well need fluid to help bolster your blood pressure.