Empty Supermarket Shelves

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Empty Supermarket Shelves

Post by Kwacky »

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/foodanddrink/f ... ocid=ientp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've seen a lot of comments on social media over the last few weeks about this.

I wonder if the supermarkets are reducing the stock they carry to reduce wastage? I hope so.

We get far too much choice in this country when it comes to food. You see lots of the same or very similar items for sale. I think we need to change our attitudes and towards food and shopping. Personally I think we need to show our kids how to cook with basics. It's too easy to pick up a ready meal or take away.
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Re: Empty Supermarket Shelves

Post by Cavetroll87 »

I dunno, but I stopped in asda this morning to pick up some lunch and it was empty, Sheleves were bare everywhere, ended up with nothing.
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

I think people need to get a grip. They should have the essentials and plan ahead.

This modern need to constantly buy food almost everyday when they need it and not organise themselves or settle for whats in the cupboard already is sad.

There is way too much choice in the UK. Living abroad teaches you that very quickly. More choice, comfort and convenience is all very well but it makes people lazy and dependant on other services and constant supply. Seasonal produce and cycles here in France is great as you try and eat different foods and i've certainly cooked with a lot of new or different things.

I hate brexit and all that it stands for, but if it does happen and supply changes significantly it might teach the current UK populous some good lessons - a bizarre twist on its lack of benefits in my eyes.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

It's the 'Now Generation'.
Everyone wants something, no-one is willing to provide anything....that's someone else's job. Everybody suffers.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

I have friends in Sainsbury's and a friend's mother in law works at Bagshot Road, I even worked there myself it's a 5 min drive away.

Maybe if Sainsbury's didn't have a restructure of managers e.g. sacking a whole bunch of the good ones who people worked for and then pissing themselves and hiring managers at a ridiculous amount per year who are useless and haven't got a clue what to do, then maybe they wouldn't be in that situation why have Sainsburys got rid of Night shift?! They did the bulk of the work, I know, I did it! You can't possibly think that day shift can do the same level of work as a nightshift, its insane. I know one person who was a manager and got dumped down to worker...he had worked there for 15 years or so and knew everything now it's very much a sitiation of, I will do what I can but anymore you can get on your bike and screw teaching the new ones. That's a massive insult in my opinion to this person.

Morrisons just as bad, tell the store manager today and tomorrow it will be a different person. They are belittling everyone who has respect in their stores so all the good ones are leaving. They are putting managers on scheme where they 'train' them but the general consensus is they are looking for reasons to get rid of you. Ive heard stories of store managers who are excellent at their job and then HQ are saying to bump them down to Duty managers because they think they can get better, which they dont. They pay the last manager peanuts and get someone new at a higher rate and these people are useless.
AND maybe if they have enough on night shifts AND maybe if they don't have their deliveries through the bloody day where you get all the whiney, argumentative, stupid customers asking every bloody question under the sun then complaining about things maybe their staff will get time to work crates that Night shift could of done. They seem to moan to the workers who are feeling exactly the same.

Supermarkets are all the same. 1 does one thing the other then follows suit thinking it's amazing, its not, its not working and articles are showing this

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
D41

Post by D41 »

What do you think the best solution would be??
Monty
Your Bike: 2010 ZX6R

Post by Monty »

Stop giving them your money
Monty™© MCMLXXII
D41

Post by D41 »

Thank you, Einstein.......was hoping for a strategy a tad more realistic than "starvation".
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Monty wrote:Stop giving them your money
No, Monty has a point.

What's wrong with going to small local shops instead of big chains like the supermarkets

Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

D41 wrote:What do you think the best solution would be??
Stop getting rid of people who know the job and getting in totally new people and get back night deliveries. It used to work why won't it now, because what thry are doing now clearly isn't working, that's what the best solution is.

Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Proving my point how much they have cocked up. They are reciting because they f****d off the old guys and now are up sh**s creek. Idoitos!!Image

Monty

Post by Monty »

Rossgo wrote:What's wrong with going to small local shops instead of big chains like the supermarkets
Absolutely nothing, I try to that as much as I can. Imagine what would happen if everyone did. Just imagine what millions of pounds going into your local economy would do. Instead of some bank in the Cayman Islands.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Monty wrote:
Rossgo wrote:What's wrong with going to small local shops instead of big chains like the supermarkets
Absolutely nothing, I try to that as much as I can. Imagine what would happen if everyone did. Just imagine what millions of pounds going into your local economy would do. Instead of some bank in the Cayman Islands.
Well said Monty. Personally couldn't agree more. However my misses is in the supermarket business so it gives us a little discount and pays her too so I couldn't allow it ImageImage

D41

Post by D41 »

So....
Pay more money, and have less selection. Got it.
Monty

Post by Monty »

Er.....

Nope the exact opposite.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
D41

Post by D41 »

Well....people are voting with their wallets. That's the reality of why the small retail business owner is becoming an endangered species. Whether that's right or wrong doesn't really come into it, surely?
Monty

Post by Monty »

Assuming you don't buy your chlorinated chickens in a can, chicken is no more expensive at the local butcher. Decent hung meat is about the same price and far cheaper where I live if you buy half a lamb and freeze it. Vegetables are much cheaper at the market than at the supermarket.

The only thing supermarkets sell cheaper is sh!t processed junk.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
D41

Post by D41 »

Monty wrote: Decent hung meat
That's bollocks!!
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

D41 wrote:
Monty wrote: Decent hung meat
That's bollocks!!
Trust you to spot that ImageImageImage

Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Monty wrote:Assuming you don't buy your chlorinated chickens in a can, chicken is no more expensive at the local butcher. Decent hung meat is about the same price and far cheaper where I live if you buy half a lamb and freeze it. Vegetables are much cheaper at the market than at the supermarket.

The only thing supermarkets sell cheaper is sh!t processed junk.
We used to have a prettt big Market here. It closed down as it was getting smaller and smaller. Used to be an amazing place, fruit veg by the bowl full, fresh meat by the cow lol and if snacks are your thing they used to have a array of them as well. It closed 3 or 4 years back as they weren't making money any more. Proper shame as we used to enjoy going down there and picking the freshest fruit and veg of the day!