Glasses! Of the spectacle kind

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
HeathKanga
Your Bike: Suzuki SV650 K4

Glasses! Of the spectacle kind

Post by HeathKanga »

Hey all! Thought I'd ask fellow spectacle wearing bikers if they have any tips of what kinda specs are best to wear when biking!?!? I'm not a contact lens wearer so no suggestions of those please! & I only wear my glasses when driving or riding. I've found that in the car my current pair sit on my face without any hassle but when on the bike the vibrations of riding cause them to slip down my nose! & I end up fiddling with my visor to flip up/down to re-adjust the spec's decent! I had a pair a while back which had a rubber cover on the arms which I found difficult to put on once my helmet was on, so pulled the rubber covers off & they slid in quite well, only trouble was that by pulling the rubber off it exposed sharp tips & that was rubbing on the inside of my helmet! (Not a major problem cause it was a cheap lid! & I wasn't all that fussed! But I bought a new helmet at the bike show in November & it cost me a fair bit more than the previous & I don't want to ruin the lining!)
Off to land of Bratty tomorrow (Specsavers), my Mum works there so hoping for superstar treatment!) may just be a case of getting them properly fitted once I choose a pair! But thought I'd ask what others had experienced?!?!
H 8)
Godzilla
Your Bike:

Re: Glasses! Of the spectacle kind

Post by Godzilla »

I had a pair a little bit like these, the straight arms were about what I found best for under a helmet.

http://www.specsavers.co.uk/glasses/qui ... u=24583367" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But I do find contact lenses lots better.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

I'd be interested in the answers to this too..

My eyesight is starting to go, and I'm now at the point where glasses have been recommended. Apparently my eye balls are the wrong shape for contact lenses. I just don't relish the idea of wearing glasses with a lid...
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
HeathKanga

Post by HeathKanga »

Thanks Godzilla, I'll have a good look around tomorrow & see what seem to fit best in store! Hopefully I'll choose well cause it could be a while before I get to road test them on the bike :(
Bratty
Your Bike: Honda CB1000r

Post by Bratty »

Shouldn't you be asking your mom in sure she will be able to help.
I get knocked down but i get up again.
Bratty
Your Bike: Honda CB1000r

Post by Bratty »

D6Nutz wrote:I'd be interested in the answers to this too..

My eyesight is starting to go, and I'm now at the point where glasses have been recommended. Apparently my eye balls are the wrong shape for contact lenses. I just don't relish the idea of wearing glasses with a lid...
Not such a thing as eyeballs are the wrong shape mate, come and see me I've got a guy that will fit you with contact lenses.
I get knocked down but i get up again.
HeathKanga

Post by HeathKanga »

Bratty wrote:Shouldn't you be asking your mom in sure she will be able to help.
I'm sure she will assist 8)
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

I've used a few pairs now. Straight arms make it easier to get in the helmet, although some (like my shark) now have sections specifically for the arms of glasses to fit in.

I find the bendy memory frames are useful. Also, ones that fit close to the face and dont stick out/are too wide, as that bends them in the middle from being forced inside the helmet and they then dont grip the nose and stay in place as much.

I wear contacts now. It has taken me a long time to get used to them, but I can finally wear them for most of the day now. You just need to persevere with them.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Bratty wrote:
D6Nutz wrote:I'd be interested in the answers to this too..

Not such a thing as eyeballs are the wrong shape mate, come and see me I've got a guy that will fit you with contact lenses.
Cheers mate, I might take you up on that next time I'm up Birmingham way.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

I've got some really flexible glasses that I got from specsavers, ultra lightweight and brilliant in a lid.

Not sure if they do them anymore, bratty will know of course....

You have to be careful putting them on in the lid, but once on they flex with the movements of your head.

Never had a problem.
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

I have to agree with Cookiemonster and D6 the more flexible the frames the better , I also have a reactolite coating on mine so I dont need a dark visor or sunglasses
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Whilst glasses are on the distant horizon for me, my Brother has worn glasses since he was three and been riding bikes for 35yrs - as an instructor for at least 10 of those years. He's found its easier to use straight sided arms and to find helmets where the foam joints of the lining correspond with where the arms want to sit along his head, it stops those red lines on the temples and the sweat sores in the summer months. He does wear contacts as well but finds glasses better on a bike for some reason. Next time I see him I'll find out more.
HeathKanga

Post by HeathKanga »

Thanks all for the replys/descusions! I've opted for a pair that wrap around a little, they feel like they are a little tighter on the skull! & I hope to find they will be less likely to vibrate off my face when out on the bike!
Attachments
Quicksilver Specs!
Quicksilver Specs!
Godzilla
Your Bike:

Post by Godzilla »

They look nice, Im sure they will be great :)