What was so hard about getting it right

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

What was so hard about getting it right

Post by Cavetroll87 »

So spent my evening in a phone shop as I was due an upgrade, I knew what phone I wanted, I knew on which contract, I even knew what promotions they had goin, should have been the easiest transaction ever.

The guy in the shop preceded to try and sell me everything I didn't want along with it and then repeatedly messed up the deal on the till which meant I was there for over an hour.
He then said they could do a data transfer from my old phone to the new one but as it had taken him so long to do the guy that could do it had gone home

No matter I have to go back anyway as when I got home with my phone (including the case that came in the box despite him trying to sell me one) and tried to put the new simcard in he gave me only to find it's the wrong bloody size!

So I have lovely Shiney new phone that I can do nothing with until I go back to the shop tomorrow grrrr, how hard is it to get these things right! I persevered as I used to work in retail and I don't like to complain as I've been on the other side of it all but Jesus wept it's really not that hard!
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: What was so hard about getting it right

Post by Kwacky »

my wife had the same problem. They fecked it up. Then it broke, so she sent it back. It came back repaired but was still broken.

I always buy my phones online. Never had a problem.
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Gunna be honest as I knew exactly what I wanted and needed I didnt think I'd have a problem but oh well, I think my favorite part was as he was trying to sell me a car charger and just started to trail off as he realised I was in bike leathers and holding a helmet and was like
"do you have a car?"
"nope"
"you probably don't want this then do You?"
"nope"
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

I'm sorry to say I got very ratty with a lad from Orange, that was trying to sell me deals other than what I wanted, I had done exactly the same as you CT, I'd researched it and I knew exactly what I wanted but he'd obviously got a spiel to go through. He got about 5 words in before I asked him tersely if he could help me or not, he was remarkably good after that.

I know it's not fun trying to meet quota's and bonuses in sales, or deal with grumpy customers that would rather be doing anything except deal with you, but as you say we are the customers and it should be really easy, but so often isn't.
Frankie
Your Bike: Fast Ones, and dirty ones

Post by Frankie »

These people are not salesmen or woman they are halfwits..... If I had someone who knew what they wanted I would be very pleased, easiest sale in the business, gives you more time to work on another customer, i.e more sales!!!! OBVIOUSLY.

We have two ears and one mouth for a reason.... I get really fed up with muppet's who do not listen to what has been asked for and carry on regardless with their own agenda.
Yours Mr Grumpy....
Bratty
Your Bike: Honda CB1000r

Post by Bratty »

I always buy online, I normally get an email the month before my contract is up for renewal then I log on to my O2 choose the phone and the network I want and bobs your uncle.
I get knocked down but i get up again.
bb41
Your Bike: GSXR750

Post by bb41 »

Bratty wrote:I always buy online, I normally get an email the month before my contract is up for renewal then I log on to my O2 choose the phone and the network I want and bobs your uncle.
I do the same thing, been with O2 for donkeys and either upgrade on line or just have a trawl through the shop .

I once had a coming together with a sales woman when trying to buy a new helmet.

I just wanted to replace my old one, exactly the same. She refused to sell it me as she didn't think it fit me properly.
She kept trapping hold of the chin guard and tried to shake my blooming head off and was convinced it was too tight.

Now no dis respect but as she was very young and riding a per I felt I had the better concept of whether it was a good fit or not.

I felt like ramming it on her head back to front . Needless to say I went online and got a better deal
Live each day as your last as one day you'll be right !!
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

I buy a lot of stuff online but in this instance the phone only came out last week so I wanted to just double check I liked the look and feel of it before hand, but oh well back to the dredded hell that is the shopping centre tonight to make my feelings known.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

I used to work very high up in a major mobile phone chain for 4 years. The store staff are generally very stupid, commission orientated and there is a relatively high turnover.

I'd buy my phones online. Really I would.

Sorry you've had such a poor experience, but it doesn't surprise me.
Cavetroll87

Post by Cavetroll87 »

I know what its like working in retail, I was a store manager in Game for 5 years and the lad who served me was young (haha check me out im only 26!) and seemed a bit nervous so hence why I just went with it coz I didnt want to be that customer.

But on the flip side after working in Game for so long I really do think we provided very good customer service (I am aware there will ALWAYS be exceptions unfortunatley) and it just shocks me when I go in other stores and it is so poor. I think back to some of the complaints we used to get and think dear god, how do these shops stay in business (gah) (facepalm)
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

It doesn't take much to look after your customers. The Hein Gericke in Birmingham was really good for that. All of the staff were chatty, no pressure, keen to help. And it paid off, you always left with something :D

J and S on the other hand - I have no idea how they stay in business. I've spent 20 or 30 minutes in there looking around and trying stuff on. Nothing. I reckon they've lost about a grand's worth of business from me. I try stuff on then search online for it. If someone had offered to help I would have bought it in the shop.
Bratty
Your Bike: Honda CB1000r

Post by Bratty »

Yes mate I have to agree with the you on J and S in Brum service is non existence.
I get knocked down but i get up again.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Too much is on commission and sales figures that the salesman doesn't listen to the customers...I buy online so much easier and less headache lol
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

A long time ago I lost the desire to deal with the mobile phone stores, the only reason I ever go into a store is to have a play with a phone I want to buy. Once I've played with it I walk out.

I've also lost the desire for brand loyalty, both for the phone manufacturer and the network. The support I've had over the last 2 year contract has been shockingly poor, combined with the 2 mid-contract price rises has kind of killed my 7 year loyalty to O2.

Next, I'm going to buy the phone I want outright and then get a short term SIM only contract, if the network is crap or just generally pisses me off I won't have to wait so long to switch or deal with muppets who couldn't care less about the fact I need a 100% working phone to run my company.

Yours grumpily and very pissed of with mobile networks taking the piss..

P.S. I'm on holiday next month so expect another rant about roaming charges... especially when the two networks will probably be owned by the same parent company :@
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti