Everything Photography

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Jack
Your Bike:

Re: Everything Photography

Post by Jack »

I really like the last shot in Kiwi's sequence , I would have that on my wall .
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Fwiw Jack, that 3rd shot of your post looks just like a dog I used to have called Suki.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Jack wrote:I really like the last shot in Kiwi's sequence , I would have that on my wall .
Holy crap Jack, that is a huge compliment coming from a talented photographer like yourself. Thank you (happy)
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Youre cheating Jack, you're a professional

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

A small selection of pics from my phone. Love snapping away, there's beauty everywhere just got to spend the time and look for itImageImageImageImageImageImage

kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Looking good Rossgo, really like that first one, great use of DOF.

You know back in the day (you were probably still in nappies (lol) ) Moonie used to run a monthly photo comp on TS, I won my TS T-Shirt in the first month :)
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

Such great photos! Its nice to see the difference as well.. some are finely polished finished articles and others show a natural beauty. I particularly like the composure of your 3rd picture Rossgo!! That's my kind of shot.

Kiwi.. let us know how the tripod gets on..... ;) :D
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Kiwi - call me silly but, what is DOF?!
Bloody well done for winning the comp, didnt even know you guys did comps for snaps lol!

Last edited by Rossgo on 02 May 2018, 08:43, edited 1 time in total.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Cheers fellas. I really do enjoy snapping away. Always wanted a proper camera with a proper lense but im pretty sure i would break it so i stick to my phone!

Some of these pics were diffcult to get actually. Ruby my dog in both pics was moving about, the first one of her chewing away she was actually ripping it to bits ans thrashing it about, i was shocked at how i managed to get that one moment. The second one of her smiling, barking up and down of the waves i must of taken 10 and that one came out how i wanted it, background and her with utter joy on her face.

And Cav the London shot was a gooden, the sun was just setting and the beams of light was just getting through the clouds, literally hist got into position and snapped, the seagull i didnt even realise was there flying along, i think that was just an added bonus!

Cav

Post by Cav »

DOF stands for depth of field.. so in my photo the DOF is low because not much is in focus; only the stump, bluebells and puppy. This adds depth to an image which you typically don't get with a smartphone. Conversely, if you have a high aperture (f-number) your DOF increases and everything beyond a certain distance is in focus. You would then need to find a different way of adding perceived DOF (which you managed in your London shot)

I think Photography always comes down to finding the right thing at the right time.. certainly seems that way to me at my level anyway! I'd call myself a "beginner+" as I can find my way around manual mode on the DSLR haha
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

Rossgo - DoF - Depth of field - the amount of the shot that is in focus leading to what is out of focus in your first shot the dog is clearly defined and the further into the image you look the more out of focus it becomes , my first shot is the opposite the falling snow between me and the tree is out of focus while the tree is in focus . Controlled by the f stop on a DSLR or similar camera the lower the f stop number the shallower the depth of field anything over about f10 should give you infinite focus - the shot will be in focus through the entire depth of field - useful for landscapes and city type shots .
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I like that London shot.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Jack wrote:anything over about f10 should give you infinite focus
This is where I went wrong on my first attempt at astrophotography.. I logically drew the wrong conclusion. I figured I needed to let as much light in as possible so went for a 15 second shutter (to avoid small trails that might be visible with 30 seconds), f3.6 and ISO had to go to about 1600.

I used a hyperfocal app, inputted my lens settings and aperture f8 which stated anything 2.2m to infinity would be in focus. Does that sound about right to you?
Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

I've never really tried astrophotography as seriously as you obviously have , in theory f8 should give you the infinite focus I like to go to f10 because my lens seems to be better at that than at f8 I tend to get sharper results at f10 .
Cav

Post by Cav »

Oh I've tried it once for 20 minutes during a thunderstorm and got not a single usable photo! haha

How do you know which aperture is sharpest? Do you just pixel-peek in lightroom?
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Thanks fellas didnt know that! Learn something new each day!

The pics on this thread are brilliant, waiting for Frankies pics now!!

Cheers Kwacky, i remember i had to move around a few areas to get an angle i really liked and came out with that!

Jack
Your Bike:

Post by Jack »

Cav wrote:Oh I've tried it once for 20 minutes during a thunderstorm and got not a single usable photo! haha

How do you know which aperture is sharpest? Do you just pixel-peek in lightroom?
A little bit of online research will generally give you an indication of where the sweet spot of a particular lens is ( it's usually a range like from f8 to f12 )
you can further refine it by pixel peeping , it's less obvious with a lens that has a fixed focal distance as opposed to a telephoto lens and the more expensive the lens the better the optics and therefore generally sharper throughout it's range .

I know some photographers get a bit anal about using manual mode , it's true it does offer the most control , but don't be afraid of using the semi automatic modes like aperture priority or shutter priority , they can be very useful if you are shooting in changeable conditions , I often use shutter priority when shooting trackside as the light often changes as you pan through a corner , obviously with a moving subject you don't have the time to adjust your settings as you pan , I set the shutter speed and the iso and leave the fstop to the camera as it reacts to the changing light and gives you the correct exposure .
Cav

Post by Cav »

The type of shooting I've been doing mostly has allowed me to use Manual and I just tweak it a little bit here and there to expose to the background or subject, etc and never really understood the benefit of Shutter and Aperture priority.

I'm going to have to give that a go though as it would have been useful on the dog walk, instead I set shutter speed and aperture and kept tweaking ISO on the fly.

Question for you.. how do you focus on a moving target? For example a dog running towards you
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Sunset over the river tonight, iPhone snap. Thanks Cav for the kick start to get shooting again
EAB986CE-68A5-40F6-AC4A-8D05DD1AAEF4.jpeg
Cav

Post by Cav »

I'm glad I made the thread now! :)

I find photography to be both frustrating and soothing at the same time during the process and then post processing to be extremely satisfying.. it's a good overall stress reliever