Whats the best job you,ve ever had?

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Re: Whats the best job you,ve ever had?

Post by Rossgo »

Kwacky wrote:tl:;dr ;)

I got paid to read comics. No one has beaten that yet.
I bow down to you sir ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

What?? You've bumped your head Kwacky.
Did I mention I usef to be in a band?? You get laid doing that job.....laid!! Doesn't get much better than that!

I'm trying to think of the worst job I've ever had.
Think it would be the one night I subbed for a friend working on an oil platform in Long Beach Harbor "banding" drilling-shaft-pipe-things together. Fcuking awful job.
That, or working at the Granada Services in Washington (England) for a summer back in '88 for £2.85 an hour. Fcuking slavedrivers.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

My best job? EASY - first one out of University.

I actually started a month before I finished Uni as I had done the usual milk rounds of interviews as well as local firms and ended up working for a document management company locally (Wolverhampton) when scanning was a new area and digital document storage en mass was emerging.

The company did a lot of microfiche for banks and building societies, so there was a prime market for scanning their documents – mortgage deeds, paperwork and anything really, lots of money in it too.

I learnt loads and was given lots of leeway to bring in new staff, systems, investigate new software and new optical hardware to store the gigabytes and terabytes of data the scanning generated. Bearing in mind this was 20 odd years ago when a GB was expensive and not cheap at this level. We were the first to do many things in the industry and you don't get many opportunities like this in technical fields these days.

They had a bureau (mainly young ladies ) who did all the scanning, tons of banter and I worked my way through a few of them (ahem) as there were not many men on the payroll, I even ended up eventually marrying one of them (big mistake) but thats for another time.

There were two owners, but the dynamic one was Paul, who was a salesman through and through – big fella too, but tons of charisma and if you made him money, he shared it well. Not only did I get some fantastic payrises quickly, I got good expenses and he never worried about what I spent as long as I got the job done and worked hard (which I did). He drove a Bentley Turbo, loved his food and drink and basically enjoying himself while selling everything to anyone. We got on really well.

I used to spend a reasonable amount of time in the US sourcing new systems and software as this side of the company grew and on one occasion I was staying in New York as I usually got the weekends to do so and did a load of solo tourism stuff before I flew home. At some point while I was in the room there was a knock at the door, I opened it and there was Paul – he'd decided on a whim to go to Augusta for the golf that year (he was mad keen on golf) and his flight wasnt for a day to Florida so he flew into NY and then couldnt get a decent room so thought he'd stay with me (he was like that). Thing is it was a double bed.....

So as an apology (yes we did sleep in the same bed that night – we built a pillow wall..) he said right – lets hit the town! :) Now Paul didn't worry what he spent and EVERYTHING he ever spent he justified as expenses, so this was going to be good. We ended up in countless bars, then a restaurant 'he knew' mafia owned, best maine lobster (the meal alone was $700) and then a lap dancing / strip club 'he knew' round the corner – wow this guy could live. There's something special about a free trip to a lap dancing club and all paid private rooms on the company American Express. All told that night cost him about $5000... I was told it was of course confidential (especially as his wife worked at the place too) :)

Following morning, he went off to the golf, I went home – amazing.

I worked there for about 5 years and loved it. He sold the company a while after I left (i'd done everything I could do there) and made a ton of money. I've never had a job as fun since.