What would you do?

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Stuckey
Your Bike: speed triple

What would you do?

Post by Stuckey »

I have been going to the local Shell garage on the bike for the last 5 years and have never taken my helmet off. I Have a chat while paying and all was well. But today I pulled in to top up, waited for her to switch the pump on but she just pointed and said "take your helmet off" I shook my head and she said it again. So I replaced the pump got on the bike and went to the BP station back up the road, got petrol there filled and paid with my Helmet On. I think it's more about the hassle of taking it off that I refused plus being a bit grumpy because the sun is out and I have to go to bed before the start of my night shift tonight. On the plus side we are starting to get the weather, although the rest of the week looks pants :?
So, have you ever refused?
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: What would you do?

Post by Kwacky »

Yep, I have.

In all honesty I don't mind taking my lid off.

There's a large petrol station near where I work with pay at the pump. I use that because it's quick and I want to get home. I've always stuck my card in and got on with things, knowing I can be away quickly. A couple of years ago the pump wasn't working. Then the car driver next to me tapped me on the shoulder. He said that the tannoy had been asking for me to remove my lid. With a Roof helmet and earplugs in I couldn't hear a thing.

So I cancelled the card at the pump and rode off.
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

I would do the same. Sometimes I take my helmet off (if I've been out all day to get fresh air) but when commuting and it might be wet and raining and short on time. I don't want the hassle of having to take it off. Fortunately I have yet to be asked.

I do try to use pay at teh pump whereever possible.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Never atcually been refused. I can however see why they ask you to remove your lid but does it really warrant it?
I hate having to take the lid off and putting g it back on again it just takes the piss. All you want to do is fuel up pay up and ride away simple really!
Itchy
Your Bike: Kawasaki Z1000

Post by Itchy »

I know I'm in the minority here as this was raised a while back on the old site, but I really don't see what the problem is.

I take my lid off every time I fill up, rain or shine, cold or hot, so it's probably why I don't have an issue with it.

No beef here!
Godzilla
Your Bike:

Post by Godzilla »

I have an issue with it. Why should I have to take my helmet off when some one in a Burka (for example) wouldn't.

Seems like I am less trustworthy which I object to. Having said that I cant remember the last time I was told to. Well apart from a place near me, but they let me fill up and then when I get to the till tell me next time I must take the helmet off, which I never do lol.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Generally I don't really get asked to take the lid off, but I wouldn't be too fussed if I was asked. It only takes a few seconds.

However, at a pay at the pump I wouldn't be quite so cooperative. The point is you secure payment before you can draw fuel. Therefore you cant ride off without paying, so what's the problem.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Mac
Your Bike: '04 Triumph Daytona

Post by Mac »

D6Nutz wrote:
However, at a pay at the pump I wouldn't be quite so cooperative. The point is you secure payment before you can draw fuel. Therefore you cant ride off without paying, so what's the problem.
Which is what I was thinking when I was reading this thread. I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone refusing service around here for the helmet issue. I can see their point a little if it involved a face to face interaction with a clerk, but pay at the pump?
"When in doubt use full throttle. It may not improve the situation but it will end the suspense ".
Stew
Your Bike: GPZ900R and Z650 B3

Post by Stew »

I used to have an Airoh Mattise flip front lid and always used to flip it up at a local garage when filling up, unfortunately I'm no oil painting and have been asked to put the lid back down before now....s'true that ;) in truth though Ive never been asked to take me lid off, thing is once its settled on and comfy I cant be bothered taking it off again so would probably move on.
Itchy
Your Bike: Kawasaki Z1000

Post by Itchy »

I've actually had a cashier tell me I should have left my helmet on whilst I was fumbling with my wallet and keys!
Norfolknchance
Your Bike: Daytona 675 06

Post by Norfolknchance »

I now have a flip faced lid (a Nolan) so this is not a problem any more. I've also been told to get off the bike when filling up.
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

I don't mind taking my helmet off when I go in to pay, but it really fecks me off when they make you take it off at the pump.

I fill up sitting on the bike so where am I supposed to put it? On the dirty diesel covered floor?

Morrisons seem to be the worst offenders around here so now I don't use them for the car or bike.
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I always get off the bike when I fill up. I don't feel comfortable sitting on it when I'm putting petrol in.
Bratty
Your Bike: Honda CB1000r

Post by Bratty »

9 times out of 10 I take my lid off any way.
I get knocked down but i get up again.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Always sit on bike when filling. I try to ram the fuel right in to the tank...less stops that way haha
Rob
Your Bike: Daytona 650, Kawasaki ZX10r

Post by Rob »

Rossgo wrote:Always sit on bike when filling. I try to ram the fuel right in to the tank...less stops that way haha
That was always my thoughts until the day i spilt about 2 quids worth of Shell V-power over my crotch!! Lighting my next cigarette afterwards was a exciting experience - would i burst into flames or not....
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

I nearly always sit on the bike, not because I can get a drop or two of extra fuel in, but because I'm a lazy barsteward and can't be arsed to stand next to the bike.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Monty
Your Bike: KTM 690 SMC R

Post by Monty »

D6Nutz wrote:I nearly always sit on the bike, not because I can get a drop or two of extra fuel in, but because I'm a lazy barsteward and can't be arsed to stand next to the bike.
(f1)
Monty™© MCMLXXII
Norfolknchance
Your Bike: Daytona 675 06

Post by Norfolknchance »

(f1)
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Rob wrote:
Rossgo wrote:Always sit on bike when filling. I try to ram the fuel right in to the tank...less stops that way haha
That was always my thoughts until the day i spilt about 2 quids worth of Shell V-power over my crotch!! Lighting my next cigarette afterwards was a exciting experience - would i burst into flames or not....
Haha no way what a waset bet you was peeved! Must of been a bit nerve racking for ya...I bet if you was oit with your mates they all stood well back haha