Vehicle Crime

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Vehicle Crime

Post by Blade »

Next door had his car broken into over the weekend.

Caught on cctv camera. Had the door open in seconds with no damage. Took nothing but suspect may have connected to the obd port and downloaded data from the ecu to clone the key and come back another night to steal the car.

Police suspect the criminal used a generic door opener or had a device that extends the range of the keyless entry system so even though the keys were in the house it was like the thief had them in his hand.

If you have a keyless entry system the advice is keep you keys in a metal box that will block the signal.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: Vehicle Crime

Post by Kwacky »

This happened to one of my wife's cars a few years back. We had old school motion sensor alarms fitted and we've been fine ever since.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Have a disklok for my car so ordered the wife one.

Bit steep at £115 and hopefully biggest waste of money ever (blush)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Better than a policy excess and an increase in insurance premiums.
Blade

Post by Blade »

100% my thoughts Kwacky (y)
rocket
Your Bike: zx10rrrrrrr

Post by rocket »

There loads of it going off at the moment. Round here they are breaking into your house and pinching the keys to your car. The advise is take your keys up stairs to bed. Police seem to be doing very little in my area with the cuts they have moved the local Police out and now the nearest response is 20-30 mins away. If your a criminal it's like a kid in a candy store.
"80mph" sorry officer I possibly could not have done that I'm no Valentino Rossi.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Vehicle crime in general has gone up. You can buy bike and car ignition bypass kits on ebay.

The Met police have a list of 500 people they want to speak to about bike thefts and using scooters for crimes.

1,500 scooters and motorbikes are stolen in London every month. That's a staggering number. Who is buying these stolen bikes?

No wonder insurance is so expensive.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

I was thinking about this yesterday as I already lock my car keys in a metal box as keyless systems are so bloody stupid they are a waste of time, however I was at the Triumph dealer yesterday and looking at how they deal with security.

They don't - all the bikes have their keys in them all the time (including outside on display) - even the new customer bikes ready for delivery. They have no concept of theft as it just doesn't happen. I asked if they wanted the key back from the demo bike - no they said leave it in!

Its so sad now that nothing is safe from scrotes. I'm surprised no-one has put biometric starting in cars now - saying that they would probably chop your finger off to drive the bloody thing :(
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

I've got ground anchors and chains locks on my pushbike now
Cavetroll87
Your Bike: 2014 Yamaha MT09

Post by Cavetroll87 »

Not specifically vehicle related but I was on a course a few weeks back about cyber crime, but he was saying that online there are literally databases thieves can access that have all your details that people have gathered from things like social media, scouting etc, the can literally type in what they want and it comes up with a list of targets that fit the bill, like if I wanted to steal a car from a house that is in a cul de sac, unoccupied between certain hours or the owners are on holiday, with no dog, Supposedly you can type that in a search engine and there are a list of matching targets.

Scary stuff
Remember: If in Doubt use Full Throttle, It may not make the situation any better, But it will end the suspense...
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

The dark web is full of that sort of information. You can buy credit and debit card details with the owners name, date of birth and address. Imagine if you're a crook and you want a fake loan sorting? No issue.

Some of the bike thieves advertise the stolen bikes on snapchat and insta or will steal a bike to order.

The Police are as pissed off with it as we are, but they haven't got the time, the cash or the numbers to do much about it.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

This is a scary thread. Blade sorry to hear about your next door neighbour keep all your stuff locked away and be extra vigilant, I always keep looking behind me if I'm getting close to home to see if anyone could potentially be following me and if I think they are I go around the block just in case, you can't be too secure

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

The best security is too live where bugger all other people live (lol)

I'm in an isolated little settlement on the side of a mountain range, untill 6 months ago the closest shop was 10 kms away (and a 1200 ft descent). On top of that I live down a dead end street so virtually zero non-resident traffic. 90% of residents are owner occupiers as well. My bike security is limited to a steering lock and a locked garage and I still feel confident being out here for 3 weeks.

Also helps that my next door neighbour is a copper in the Organised Crimes Squad and has a big f**k off German Sheppard trained to police dog quality! I naturally keep on his good side and and keep the flirting with his missus to a minimum (giggle)
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Blade

Post by Blade »

C00kiemonster wrote:I was thinking about this yesterday as I already lock my car keys in a metal box as keyless systems are so bloody stupid they are a waste of time, however I was at the Triumph dealer yesterday and looking at how they deal with security.

They don't - all the bikes have their keys in them all the time (including outside on display) - even the new customer bikes ready for delivery. They have no concept of theft as it just doesn't happen. I asked if they wanted the key back from the demo bike - no they said leave it in!

Its so sad now that nothing is safe from scrotes. I'm surprised no-one has put biometric starting in cars now - saying that they would probably chop your finger off to drive the bloody thing :(
I won't post it on hear but a dealer showed me how to start any Triumph with an every day household possession which costs pennies and in every home and office. Not surprised they leave the keys in probably causes less damage if they ever get it recovered (blush)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Triumphs are very known for that weakness. Shame they've not fixed it.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Blade is spot-on....a metal box, or a safe....same thing at the end of the day.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Blade wrote:
C00kiemonster wrote:I was thinking about this yesterday as I already lock my car keys in a metal box as keyless systems are so bloody stupid they are a waste of time, however I was at the Triumph dealer yesterday and looking at how they deal with security.

I won't post it on hear but a dealer showed me how to start any Triumph with an every day household possession which costs pennies and in every home and office. Not surprised they leave the keys in probably causes less damage if they ever get it recovered (blush)
Be useful if i ever lose my key then :D
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

Might explain why I kept getting calls from a Car Finance company wanting more details to finalise the agreement - I certainly haven't applied for anything. Emailed the alleged company twice and didn't hear back from them (I googled the company name, the number matched the number that called me so much have been legit)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I've been getting the same texts and calls.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

Car Finance 24/7? Birmingham number?

They seemed to be a genuine company when I googled them but 12 missed called in 5 days was a pi$$take