Why was I nervous yesterday!?

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Monty
Your Bike: 2010 ZX6R

Re: Why was I nervous yesterday!?

Post by Monty »

Nice one Dude, well done.

Mate of mine works there in IT. Whenever we visit him we end up leaving with carrier bags full of chocolate, so I will expect the same on future ride outs!
Monty™© MCMLXXII
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

Go Ross go! Well done mate sounds like you've made the right career move for you.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Thanks fellas. Honestly feeling very good about it all. Just to think I was worrying only last weekend whether it was the right choice but now everything is falling into place!
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Had my shift pattern sent to me last night. I think I will struggle with it at first but I guess after 3 months it will become easier, by 6 month I'll prob be regretting it by 10002 month I'll think it's the norm . In all seriousness it will be hard but nothing you want is ever going to just be handed to you, I've survived in my current job for 8 years I don't see why I wouldn't be able to survive for that or more in Mars as I'll have the added bonus of having very good benefits while working for a massive company like this plus get a lot of time off and even more if you can plan holiday around your days off!!
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Give it four weeks and you should be fine....that's the usual rule of thumb.

Me....I hate shift work with a passion....but then again I've only ever done it a few times. Oil platform was the worst, I think.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

First and probably only leaving pressie from a mate at work. We've worked really closely together over the past year going through lots of work instructions for all my machines. He said I was the best team leader to work with as I actually knew what I was talking about and knew my machines and helped him a lot with all possibilities..very kind of him and a proper thoughtful gift!
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Nice touch.
D41

Post by D41 »

I haven't had one of those in years.

/Pops it onto shopping list...
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

So I'm considering using the bike to my new place of work especially if the weather is like this.

However I have a question. Do you think it sets a bad impression if I used the bike on my induction days? I will need to buy another chain lock and may invest in another lid WITH a drop down sun visor...oh dear
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I would go in a car at first and test the water. That's what I've always done. Tell them you own a bike and would prefer to commute, then find out where you can store your gear.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Yes that is very wise! I have eyed up the bike storage area and I must admit it is very nice indeed with security in fact it's like a prison really even have a buzzer to get in (well for what I could figure out) but maybe I need to ask the question first! I have been told it will be a normal 9-6 day type deal for the induction days and I was thinking I don't fancy getting stuck in traffic!!
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

have you got a contact email for anyone at work? Send them an email and ask the question. I don't know what you have to wear so it's hard for me to say what you should do.
D41

Post by D41 »

I think you should scream into the parking lot doing a massive nose wheelie & wearing a helmet mohawk.

On your first day.

It let's everyone know that there's a new sheriff in town.....Sheriff Rossgo P. Coltrane!!!! Yee-Haa!!
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Kwacky wrote:have you got a contact email for anyone at work? Send them an email and ask the question. I don't know what you have to wear so it's hard for me to say what you should do.
Yes I do have a contact, my new boss in fact! This is the problem I don't know how long it takes to get all the uniform but by the sounds of it it stays in your locker (same as my current work). I don't know I'm in 2 minds, one is I hate traffic the other is I need to just get there first for the first week and not worry about anything else haha
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Rossgo wrote:....c the other is I need to just get there first ...
(shocked) ^ Written at 4:54 am, proof enough for me mate.! (clap)

Kwacky wrote:I would go in a car at first and test the water. That's what I've always done. Tell them you own a bike and would prefer to commute, then find out where you can store your gear.
Fwiw I agree with Kwacky. It's worth bonding with your new colleagues firs if possible, before challenging any pre-existing prejudices they may hold (first impressions do last).
Rossgo wrote: I hate traffic the other is I need to just get there first for the first week and not worry about anything else haha
Also filtering past your new boss as he sits in that traffic, so you can be waiting for him to arrive may not endear you to him for the same sort of reasons.

As you're expecting this move to be a long term position, thoughtfully planning out your initial integration may pay dividends.?

Good luck.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Very well written StMarks. To be honest Commuting to work wouldn't be able to just done by bike. It's more for the warmer or drier days and to even out the mileage a bit between car and bike. I'll get a feel for the place first I think!
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Hows the new job going?
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Haven't started just yet. I don't start until 2nd May but right now I have a week and half off as holiday then I'm taking a week off as unpaid as I really don't want to go back to my current work (Well going back for 1 day just to say bye!!).

The culture has really changed. I'm so glad to be going, now is the right time

I have a holiday coming up down to Exmoor for a weekend (May B/H weekend) so it was easier to start the new job after that than before it.

Really looking forward to it all now.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Enjoy the holiday Rossgo.

Put the bad memories behind you mate and start the new challenge motivated and fresh.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Sounds like you need that break before starting a new job. Recharge the batteries and start your new chapter.

Enjoy your time off.