The new improved fitness thread

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Re: The new improved fitness thread

Post by Cav »

Haha.. well I've spent about £80 on all this new gear (got a bargain on the gilet as I paid £6 for it but it's worth £80). I could spend more than £80/month on a crossfit membership.

I'm hoping I'll be able to get under 80kg from doing not doing the weights, but I may want to join a gym before the wedding if I'm unable to maintain some muscle mass
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

I did a minimal amount of trail running back when I was still racing MTBs. I didn't enjoy it very much, but I'd entered a few duathlons & a triathlon so needed to get in shape. Downhills that are fun on a bike are a PITA on two feet. There's no rest/breaks/speed, etc. It take the whole concept of boredom to new lows & saps the will to live from your very soul.....I'm not a "runner"....I have no form, I'm just clumsy & slow.

Have fun on your jog!
Cav

Post by Cav »

I've never understood people who enjoy running but without enough funds for the gym this is the best I can manage; it will also help my football out if I pick that up again (which I probably should as our team are short on players).

Trail running vs Pavement running... there's no contest IMO, but yeah, running isn't amazing fullstop.
D41

Post by D41 »

I only got into trail-running when I was in school. All the other lads would be playing football, and because football is crap I just asked our teacher if I could run around the hill next to the pitch instead. And hey-ho...a sloth was born!!
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Cav wrote:I've never understood people who enjoy running but without enough funds for the gym this is the best I can manage; it will also help my football out if I pick that up again (which I probably should as our team are short on players).

Trail running vs Pavement running... there's no contest IMO, but yeah, running isn't amazing fullstop.
I love trail running.. just starting to get back into shape after doing a 50k trail race in July and breaking myself, both physically and mentally.

I've signed up for a trail marathon in march so need to get my fat arse into gear!

Take a look on OpenStreetMap and ViewRanger and you should find loads of public rights of way near you. You can then just Strava to plot a route and follow it on your phone so you don't get lost

I love exploring new routes, getting lost, and finding random beauty spots. I also love trail running in the dark... But only do this with a group.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
D41

Post by D41 »

50K??

Respect. (y)
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Cav wrote:I've come to the realisation that I'm fat. From illness prior to my holiday last June to concussion during my holiday in June and only recently recovering from that I've gained a horrific amount of fat - I can feel my belly wobble as I go down the stairs.

Because I'm skint and can't afford the gym I've decided to take up running with my 6 month old Springer, Elsie. I'm being sensible and doing Couch to 5K but decided to tackle it at our local beacon and woods - very enjoyable so far.

Any of you guys do trail running? Immediately more enjoyable than pavement running IMO. Quite nice running at sub zero temperatures too
I’m in the same boat Cav, except not at the point I can start exercising yet, still got my op to get through.

D6Nutz is the running machine on TS and does a lot of trail running, think he did a trail run marathon last year, or may have even been further. Be the man to talk too.

EDIT: (facepalm) Ok. Should’ve read the rest of the thread first, I see Jon had already replied
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Cav wrote:I've never understood people who enjoy running.
I was running lots a few years back Cav and I don’t know if I could ever say I enjoyed the actual running. I did enjoy the fitness benefits, the fact I wasn’t bad and got good times and placed well in the few races I did. Sense of achievement was high as I’m a stubborn barstard and sometimes that’s all that gets me to the finish line. The mental health aspect is a great gain as well.
Cav

Post by Cav »

Wow.. you really are the nutz - 50K?!

I've downloaded those Apps so will take a look this afternoon - I'm going to do a run around local fields tonight which means a bit of footpath running with Elsie on the lead (could get interesting).

I originally intended on running the woods at night but people discouraged me. I then thought I'd run on the common land next to the woods at night but again, people are discouraging me. I'll just have to stick to local areas for now I guess.

Kiwi, you'd likely be a big dafty if you started running properly now before the op. I think you summed it up with the enjoyment side of things, that's pretty much how I feel
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Cav wrote:Wow.. you really are fecking stupid - 50K?!
EFT! Never again.

Cav, the only reason I'm down on running solo trail at night is purely a safety thing. I tend to run a lot of remote routes where there aren't many other runners/walkers, if you where to turn an ankle how long would it be until you can get help?

If you are going out at night though it's bloody good fun, really different running through woods at night compared to daylight. Always take your mobile though and a good head torch is worth its weight. I use one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XHY9NWR/ ... mCb1DRFV1Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheap as chips, and bright as you like.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

I’m with Jon, running trails at night is pretty cool but best done with at least one other.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I'm back in the gym tomorrow. I think I'm going to switch from strength training to fitness training for a few months and see if I can shift this middle aged spread I've acquired.
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Oh and @Cav, have a look on Facebook and see if you can find a trail running group near you. It's much more of laugh running in a group and trail runners are a very social bunch in general. Bit like bikers really, doesn't matter what kit you've got and how long you've been running the fact that you want to run is all that matters.

Cav

Post by Cav »

I might look at running groups in the future but for now it won't suit me - too much in my schedule every day for the foreseeable future.

The thought of running in torchlight is appealing for some strange reason. I always run with a swiss army knife and my phone anyway but yeah, break a limb or twist an ankle and it'll be a long way back to the car. I also worry about the wildlife in the woods a little just because I don't know what's in there - I also don't want to come across any public acts of indecency/intimacy
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Cav wrote: I also worry about the wildlife in the woods a little just because I don't know what's in there - I also don't want to come across any public acts of indecency/intimacy
We come across a lot of dear, cows, and horses. The dear and horses usually run like f@#k in the other direction and the cows usually just stand there staring at you. Once you've run the routes a couple of times you get to know where the livestock is.

As for the intimacy, we've never yet come across and couples in nearly 3 years, which is slightly disappointing. We did come across a naked bloke sitting in the bushes all by himself on the side of one of the tracks though.

Stonesie
Your Bike: BMW R1250GSA

Post by Stonesie »

Just done a session, 2k steps on the stairmaster was a killer then some chest and shoulder press followed by planking and side planking... Im shaking.

Only one way to get into a non round shape.
Itchy
Your Bike: Kawasaki Z1000

Post by Itchy »

Cav,

I have a stretch dog lead which attaches to a belt that I wear when I run with my collie. It frees up both hands and makes running with the pooch a lot easier.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Itchy wrote:Cav,

I have a stretch dog lead which attaches to a belt that I wear when I run with my collie. It frees up both hands and makes running with the pooch a lot easier.
If i did that with my Ridgeback i'd have no trousers after 50m :D
Cav

Post by Cav »

So today was the first run around my house. Warm up walk on the field at the back of the house to empty the dog (she did it literally meters from the bin - perfect!) I then ran to the canal path and looped back - 30 minutes over.

I was a little disappointed to be honest as I wanted to loop a playing field near the canal path but I'm going to stick to the plan as best possible - my muscles were feeling a bit tight and sore too so it probably was for the best.

I won't bother doing a review thread for my new running shoes but initial impressions are very good. Adidas Terrex AX2R. Initial impression are that my footsteps are a lot louder - I need to work on my running style for sure. They're extremely sturdy and supportive but they have a very good "rolling flex" if that makes sense (heel to toe flexs nicely but there's minimal ankle roll from them). Not a single slip on the field or gravel when I know I'd have been catching myself from slipping with my old trainers. Initial rating would be a strong 8 out of 10 - now to try them in the woods!!

Unfortunately it's time for me to get into my uni work now... Ciao Ciao for now
Itchy
Your Bike: Kawasaki Z1000

Post by Itchy »

C00kiemonster wrote:
Itchy wrote:Cav,

If i did that with my Ridgeback i'd have no trousers after 50m :D
It just goes around the waist, not through your belt loops!
Although you'd probably snap your spine instead...