The new improved fitness thread

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Re: The new improved fitness thread

Post by Kwacky »

Doesn't it tell you on the Strava screenshot?
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

You're right! I didn't look that far up the thread
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

D6Nutz wrote:
So I joined one of the Facebook groups and asked for general advice. Job 1 is to get the bike setup properly, someone gave me a really useful link to a youtube video that explains the setup really well.

Second, I got some advice on shoes and it would be useful to see your thoughts Perkles. I've been recommended the following setup (or similar)

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Shimano-M520-S ... NkQAvD_BwE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mob ... tgQAvD_BwE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mob ... tent=mkwid" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm going to try and buy used where I can to keep the costs down, but what do you think to this for a beginners setup ??

Those 520 pedals will give you everything you need, without any of the superlight higher price bulls##t that you don't.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Perkles wrote:You cant go wrong with spds for every day riding,the more expensive versions are just grams lighter
You dont necessarily need to spend that much on shoes, look online for last years models (y)
And these shoes usually come with a set of cleats
Hey Perkles.. I've found these in the right size new for £30, would these fit the cleats I posted before ??? and in your opinion would they do the job for me ??

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/m065-spd-mo ... 24903.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

D6Nutz wrote:
Perkles wrote:You cant go wrong with spds for every day riding,the more expensive versions are just grams lighter
You dont necessarily need to spend that much on shoes, look online for last years models (y)
Hey Perkles.. I've found these in the right size new for £30, would these fit the cleats I posted before ??? and in your opinion would they do the job for me ??

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/m065-spd-mo ... 24903.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
not really they are off road
get something like this https://www.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox-t ... e=14408630" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Perkles wrote:
D6Nutz wrote:

not really they are off road
get something like this https://www.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox-t ... e=14408630" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cool, thanks.

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get the right gear first time round..

How do you find cycling shoes fit? I usually go up half a size for running shoes, should I do the same for cycling?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get the right gear first time round..

How do you find cycling shoes fit? I usually go up half a size for running shoes, should I do the same for cycling?

they will stretch but I wear a size 9 normal shoe and size 9 cycling shoe but wear thin socks,cycling shoes need to be stiff so your foot doesnt flex probably totally the opposite to running shoes
A lot of cycling shoes are Italian and tend to be a bit narrow for me as ive got hobbit feet , I liek an extremely stiff sole but side to side movement in the cleats so its doesnt fook the kness up
Ask away its no problem
Cav

Post by Cav »

I'm soaking up the advice too :) Thanks Perks!
D6Nutz

Post by D6Nutz »

Perkles wrote:Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get the right gear first time round..

they will stretch but I wear a size 9 normal shoe and size 9 cycling shoe but wear thin socks,cycling shoes need to be stiff so your foot doesnt flex probably totally the opposite to running shoes
A lot of cycling shoes are Italian and tend to be a bit narrow for me as ive got hobbit feet , I liek an extremely stiff sole but side to side movement in the cleats so its doesnt fook the kness up
Ask away its no problem
Cheers. As I've got wide feet I think I'll go for the half size up, just need cleats, peddles, and a saddle bag now..

Cav

Post by Cav »

I saw the underseat bags and thought they'd be good for essential tools. It is worth going straight to cleats or sticking with normal pedals? I don't own cycling shoes yet so will have to buy some regardless.

I'd need a backpack for all my stuff as I may be lugging around my laptop and lunch.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

After doing regular walks with the kids home schooling I’ve been doing them each day up here in Darwin as well. Generally doing about 6km but today I smashed out 10km in 34 deg C heat!
EE9A8473-3BCA-40C3-8979-B82235EBD451.jpeg
F9880713-7E1F-4C3A-8DBE-49EA5D4F145C.jpeg
It was 6 laps of that road section. That’s the limits of our secure section of the village.

I talked to my physio today about getting back into running, but unfortunately he’s recommended against it. He said to stick to walking and cycling. Apparently running impact can be bad for fusions and he said although I might get away with it he doesn’t think the risk is worthwhile.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Itchy
Your Bike: Kawasaki Z1000

Post by Itchy »

Itchy wrote:With no access to the gym I've been messing about in the garage and have settled on trying something different.

I've seen a few videos of people doing 100 press ups a day for a month and thought I might as well give it a whirl.
Although I'm not just limiting it to press ups, also doing TRX rows and squats.
I've been doing it since Monday, and my legs are really feeling it.
Will see how it goes.
It didn't go well.

I got lazy and bored and stopped doing it.
I've had no motivation at all.
7 weeks in lockdown and I've worked out for about a week.

Interestingly the scales say that I've lost a couple of kg, but looking in the mirror that's likely to be muscle mass, because I'm still a fat f****ng mess. (^)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I hear ya. I've done next to nothing. My belly bears testament to that.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

Kwacky wrote:I hear ya. I've done next to nothing. My belly bears testament to that.
Come fetch your bike no excuse then ;)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I didn't know it was ready :*
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

I bought some dumbells from Agros to supplement, body weight exercises and its been quite effective. Pleasantly surprised what can be achieved without access to the gym.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

D6Nutz wrote:
Perkles wrote:Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get the right gear first time round..

Ask away its no problem
Cheers. As I've got wide feet I think I'll go for the half size up, just need cleats, peddles, and a saddle bag now..

Size them/fit them while wearing two pairs of cycling socks ....your feet will swell a bit when riding with one pair, and take up the slack.
Sidi tend to run very narrow. Alpinestars have a bit more width to them as a rough guide.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I can't wait for the gyms to open.

I'm just hoping I can get through the doors
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Got measured for a suit at the Tailors today.

42" chest and 31" waist. Happy with that. Lockdown walks and training have helped (y)
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I think mine are the other way round