The new improved fitness thread

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Re: The new improved fitness thread

Post by kiwikrasher »

Pity you're way over there Cookie, we are doing similar pace and aiming at similar targets, be perfect training buddies!

I'm aiming to finish the City2Surf (14km) in under an hour this year (did 65.27 last year) so thats a 6.50/mile average (with hills) I need to get too. I've been punching out that pace over 5 km on the treadmill out here offshore, and I've found my pace on road is slighty better than the treadmill pace, so just need to build up the distance and hills. I qualified for the lead group this year, so hopefully the traffic won't be as big an issue, 85,000 runners last year, and I started from about 3/4 down the pack!
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Itchy
Your Bike: Kawasaki Z1000

Re: The Fitness Thread 2.0

Post by Itchy »

Itchy wrote: Additionally, I'm doing this next weekend...

http://www.airfieldanarchy.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ugh.

I am pooped. Absolutely pooped.

I got cold, muddy, wet, scraped, bashed, splintered, bruised and battered.

And I had a bloody great time. On a regular 10k I'd just be knackered and bored. But here I was knackered but having fun. Unfortunately for me after the 4th or 5th obstacle I landed a bit hard and awkward and jarred my ankle. I carried on, it throbbed a bit, once we got in the ditches and cold water I forgot about it. But after about 8k it really started hurting with a vengeance. It's pretty bad now and I'm not even putting any weight on it. That's probably going to hurt for a few days now.
(doh)

Professional photos aren't through yet, but here's a couple of camera phone pics...

Just coming over the last wall, team-mate possibly attempting to catch me for some reason!

And just after the finish line...
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

You look surprisingly un-knackered after that Itchy ? (whew)

Were you pleased with your time ?
Itchy

Post by Itchy »

StMarks wrote:You look surprisingly un-knackered after that Itchy ? (whew)

Were you pleased with your time ?
It's an illusion, I assure you.

I was fairly pleased really, we aimed for a 2 hour time and came in at 1:47, having to stop once to empty our shoes, walk it out because of my ankle and on a few occasions had to wait for the queue for the obstacle, as there were a LOT of competitors.
Stew
Your Bike: GPZ900R and Z650 B3

Post by Stew »

Good one, where was it ? Marham ?
Sorry, re read it, Newark, but which airfield was that then ?
Bratty
Your Bike: Honda CB1000r

Post by Bratty »

Well done mate.
I get knocked down but i get up again.
Itchy

Post by Itchy »

Stew wrote:Good one, where was it ? Marham ?

Winthorpe. Apparently an old WW2 airfield.
It was right next to Newark Air Museum.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

kiwikrasher wrote:Pity you're way over there Cookie, we are doing similar pace and aiming at similar targets, be perfect training buddies!

I'm aiming to finish the City2Surf (14km) in under an hour this year (did 65.27 last year) so thats a 6.50/mile average (with hills) I need to get too. I've been punching out that pace over 5 km on the treadmill out here offshore, and I've found my pace on road is slighty better than the treadmill pace, so just need to build up the distance and hills. I qualified for the lead group this year, so hopefully the traffic won't be as big an issue, 85,000 runners last year, and I started from about 3/4 down the pack!
I always ended up slower on the road than on a treadmill can be deceiving. Good luck with the 14k!
Bratty
Your Bike: Honda CB1000r

Post by Bratty »

My training starts again tomorrow morning before work, I've got a plan I'll see how it works out.
I get knocked down but i get up again.
Itchy

Post by Itchy »

Well, thanks to the kids I didn't get a lie in, so I'm sat here with a brew contemplating my ouchies.

Last night, after a shower AND a bath (and I'm still not clean, btw) I counted at least 16 different boo-boos. There's a couple on my arms, a splinter in my hand but the majority are on my legs. In fact my left leg seems to have merged them into a couple of giant super boo-boos!

And my ankle is what they call 'proper bad' now. It hurts when I put weight on it, but It also hurts when I don't! I'd defo do it again though. Think I'd choose my team-mates a bit better though. There where 4 of us to start with. Two of them sprinted off to try and get a better time, which us remaining two had expected but not until later when I was flagging on the distance run parts. No, no they fecked off after the first corner.

Lessons learned? If you're going to do the 10k or more runs, do a bit of training for distance. I was hanging out of my hoop and my body isn't used to slogging it out for so long. So either get some distance in, or do a 5k for your first one. My body was ill-prepared!

A good pair of trail running shoes pay dividends. Frank, my oppo, was wearing regular trainers because he was going to chuck them afterwards. He struggled on slopes that I could just walk across.

Make sure your team mates are on the same wavelength. There are some high walls to get over, you can do it with two, but it's easier with more.

Have fun. Some people were trying to break land speed records, some people were cheating and missing out obstacles. What's the point in that. Go and have a laugh, stop taking life too seriously!
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

C00kiemonster wrote:
kiwikrasher wrote:Pity you're way over there Cookie, we are doing similar pace and aiming at similar targets, be perfect training buddies!

I always ended up slower on the road than on a treadmill can be deceiving. Good luck with the 14k!
I think it all comes down to what treadmill you use.. we have two different ones out here and I religiously use only the one so I know where I'm at! But I was told when I got back into my running to put the treadmill on a minimum 1 % incline to equate to wind resistance outside. The thing I do like about treadmills is it teaches you how to hold a constant speed really well. The 14 Km is in August, but I'll keep ya posted.. and thanks!
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Nice one. I was tempted to do the tough mudder but my shoulder isn't up to it.
Stew
Your Bike: GPZ900R and Z650 B3

Post by Stew »

Itchy wrote:
Stew wrote:Good one, where was it ? Marham ?

Winthorpe. Apparently an old WW2 airfield.
It was right next to Newark Air Museum.
Good one, think I know it, I was at Cranwell for a couple of yrs, always fancied doing one of these http://www.hellrunner.co.uk/hell-up-north/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but since coming out the reserves Ive lost all my motivation to get out and run or anything
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Chest and arms last night. My arms forever look like pipecleaners.
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

Did a 6.4mile run yesterday after work (aim was 10K minimum) and longest run I've done so far this year. Finished in 48 mins 30sec. which works out at just under 7min 40 miles. Not too bad as course was quite hilly. More enjoyable too as it went along contry roads so nicer views.

I also finished alongside the fastest runner now, so next goal is to start finishing first.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Getting fed up now... I still can't run because of the pain in my ankle. It's been over 3 weeks since the half marathon and 5 weeks since the pain first started, I think I may have to give in and go see the doc.. :@
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Legs tonight. I failed on my last set of deadlifts. I lost grip strength and dropped the bar. So I pretended it was the end of my set and simply walked away.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Back and shoulders ce soir. With an abs blast to finish me off.

Deadlifts are my new friend. Managed to up the weights. Nothing massive yet but I'm doing more than my bodyweight which I'm pleased with for a beginner.
Itchy

Post by Itchy »

I like deadlifts. I've not done any for a bit because they're not in the programme I'm on. Romanian (stiff-legged) ones are, but that's it.
Back and biceps for me today.
Back to 15-rep sets this week, and my body tried to reject this disgusting number of reps the best way it knows how. By vomiting.

Twice.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Chest and arms. I think it's a bit late to worry about my beach body. I'll wear a burkha.