What do you want to vent about today?

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Re: What do you want to vent about today?

Post by Cav »

Microsoft - specifically Xbox!!

I bought an Xbox One X on release. In months 2-6 of ownership it started flickering on the screen during start up then it was fine for the remainder of use. Because it went away for so long I didn't bother to return it before the year was out.

Anyway, fast forward to this month's Xbox update and it's fvcked. It wouldn't update so I was forced to play offline only. Followed troubleshooting (wired network connection and manual update via USB) and it didn't work. Eventually it displayed an error that stated the Xbox requires repair.

Repair for this is £180...

I can't afford that. So now, I have a £450 piece of sh!t collecting dust indefinitely because I can't afford to repair it and it's worthless while not working.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Is that a quote from Microsoft? Have you asked locally to see if someone nearby can fix it?
Cav

Post by Cav »

It's such a new item that I don't want to get it done by some dodgy dealer.. plus, I'm hoping they find other faults while they're looking at it so it runs flawlessly as per the first 2 months.

I've just lost the will to battle anything at the moment. We have approximately 4 weeks to finish the garden and get the house revalued in order to remortgage to pay for the wedding blah blah blah..

So long as it's repaired before I go in for surgery (fingerscrossed)
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Surgery?
Cav

Post by Cav »

Did I not update you guys about my knee? I'll chuck it in the Ailment post
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

You probably did. My mind tends to glaze over when it comes to medical issues. Among others.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Don't follow that thread Cav I'll say it here. Hope your ok goes alright and you recover quickly

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

The pressure put on kids for exams.

My daughter had her first exams today. She missed a question on a paper. She's done nothing but sob and wail since she's come home. Shes saying she can't carry on, she can't cope, she doesn't want to do any more.

I really don't know what to do. I'm petrified to be honest. We've taken her for counselling, she's had extra tutoring, she's seen the doctor several times. It feels like I've run out of options. She gets her self so worked up about these things she goes into a blind panic.

No wonder mental health is a massive issue for our kids if they're out under pressure without being taught how to cope with it.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

I can quite believe it Kwacky, MiniGee is currently doing his GCSEs, if I include the oral exams he’s already done he’ll be doing 32 separate exams, which is ridiculous. Over the last 4-8 weeks he’s being getting increasingly snappy and short tempered with us, it’s obvious he’s under a huge amount of stress, so we’ve been cutting him a lot of slack, he’s also a lad that normally doesn’t stress about exams and tests, so for him to be acting like this it’s got to be bad.

I feel for your daughter, I can only hope she feels better in the morning when presumably she’s got another one to face.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Yep, 2 more tomorrow.

She can't accept that no one gets 100% in the exams. It's the usual stuff, talking after an exam and your mates read a question differently.

I'm hoping it's a release of stress we're seeing after her first written exams.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

It is very difficult.

Youngsters get it in their heads that the exams will make or break their lives.

Whilst they are important there is nothing anyone does at 16 in an exam that will map out the rest of their life.

All you can do is try and get her to take her time and not panic whatever is in front of her when she opens the exam paper.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

That's one silver lining, she's not had a panic attack in an exam so maybe some of the counseling has paid off.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Yoga breathing is great in anxiety situations.

Breathe in to a count of three and breathe out for a count of five. In difficult moments we breathe in with short breaths bu forget to breathe out properly.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Such a difficult time but it will harden her for later life challenges.

Sadly for her it's the start of proper adult challenges and she clearly cares about doing well which is credit to her.

I always said to ours if they did their best then there is nothing more they could of done.

I have to say I don't miss their teenage years.

Hugs to her from me (bear)
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Sorry to hear Georgie is having to deal with that.

I really wonder if it’s the schools inadvertently creating this perceived pressure? From what I’ve picked up over the years on TS she is a good student and will no doubt do better than she expects in the end.

I’ve got no advice that would be of any value as I know you’d be doing all you can for her. I guess it’s just stay in support and help her ride this wave till she gets through it all.

You can tell her I barely scraped through all my School exams due to being a lazy git but better than average ability I snuck through. My streams at school were art and tech drawing as I was going to be an architect. I even studied for a year post school in that field. Failed half that year due to being a distracted lazy git. Ended up in the Airforce and finding my groove in a field completely different to what I’d planned all my school life. Then fell into my current industry and have been in the top tax bracket ever since.

Moral is school has little bearing on how your life turns out, it’s up to you to make the most out of your opportunities.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Literally as I posted that there was a news article about epidemic anxiety levels for secondary school students in Australia.

There’s got to be something in the school systems that is causing all this.
Cav

Post by Cav »

If there's anything I have learned about the exams I've done throughout the last 21 years of solid academia it is the following two point:

1 - Never discuss your work with others and to switch focus within a few hours of that exam. Obviously, a quick "I think that went okay" is cool but don't go into detail because you can't do a thing about it.

2 - You only need to do well enough to get to the next stage of your education. No one cares that I got a Merit in my HNC and HND once I get my Bachelors - likewise, no one will care about your GSCEs once you have A-levels or BTEC, etc.

I did 13 GCSEs, 11 of which were C-A* (I know the grading has changed now) and we had 2-3 exams per subject. It was tough.. really tough. Some of those I had to write after a bone graft in my hand too.

FYI, I can remember the feeling of realising I missed a question which made sure I always went through the paper fully at the start and end of the exam.

I hope she's okay and I'm sure she's getting the support from you, Kwacky.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

Cheers folks. It's just so frustrating to see your kid this distraught over what is probably nothing to worry about. She really has got it in her head that life is over if she doesn't do well in exams. She's been revising since Christmas so I know she's put the work in but last night she was insistent that she's left it all too late and she knows nothing.

I know loads of people who are doing incredibly well despite royally messing up their exams. My results weren't impressive.

I'm also worried about the impact this is having on my son. I spent some time with him last night just to try and put his mind at ease. To be fair to Alex though he's got my attitude of shrugging his shoulders and seeing what happens.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

Hope her results bring her some relief and she realises the worry wasn’t warranted.
kiwikrasher

Post by kiwikrasher »

My vent for today

Being an adult, I’m f**king over it.

Spent 4 hrs solid on the phone today, Byrons school counsellor, Aspect (Autism Society), the bank and then Byrons shrink appointment.

My head is literally pounding.