What do you want to vent about today?

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Re: What do you want to vent about today?

Post by D6Nutz »

Stonesie wrote:Trying to sort out the car insurance, why can't insurance company's send a reasonable renewal quote. I'm currently with a broker and they say that they have tried their hardest, but 5 mins on compare the market saves me £50 or for the same price I get a way better level of cover, lazy broker.

Closed today too... A job for next week.
It's even more annoying when the compare the market quote is from the same broker you are already with!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

People who aren't house trained.

The state of our toilets at work are so bad I've had to complain. Dirty feckers. We share one wing with another company and it's been a problem since then.
Stonesie
Your Bike: BMW R1250GSA

Post by Stonesie »

Insurance company's, I rang my current insurer today to tell them that I would not be renewing my cover with them, the guy quickly said that he was not the person that I needed to speak to and he would get someone to call me back. That was at 10:15 and I am still waiting.

Another company gave a good quote on a comparison site so I went direct to their website, saving £56 in the process and £96 over the previous insurer's "Best" effort for a slightly higher level of cover.

THE WEATHER today... I have a car to fix and it keeps raining, nobody likes a rusty tool.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Next-doors' dogs.
Loud, relentless, barky motherfcukers.
It's times like this I wish I had a pistol handy to cull them out of existence.
The owners too, for that matter.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

2 things which are basically the same thing...

University Lecturers and Control Systems

I did a module on Control Systems 2 years ago, scraped through but never understood the subject thus never retained any information. We now have an extremely similar lab-based assignment to complete so I thought I'd go back and look at feedback from my previous assignment. Where I had done so badly the first time, the lecturer failed to put any worthy notes in the feedback.

Instead of feedback, he wrote, "wrong" on every paragraph from the 2nd page onward.

We've all been asking him for assistance with this assignment and his support is non-existent. I'm now trying to force myself to do what I've been putting off and it's fvcking dogsh!t.

(punch) :@ (rain) (swear) (headbang)
D41

Post by D41 »

I feel for you.
That's just so wrong.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

And that's what's wrong with the education system today. Lecturers should be that support and should be assisting where ever they can. If you don't have that support how can you ever get a step up and learn what you are suppose to. Fingers crossed you can go to him privately and ask for more information about the subject. Hope you get that opportunity

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Cav

Post by Cav »

Well I've emailed him anyway.. lets see what he says this time.

I've reached a point where my data doesn't actually make sense. For anyone interested I'll try and explain it as simply as possible...... here goes:

Lab exercise to heat a beaker of water and measure the temperature to create a control system and 'model'. The water was heated with different power inputs (10, 20, 30, 40 & 50 watts).

I followed the structure to creating my own system 'model', put it into Excel and created plots for each power input.

Measured temperatures in degrees C for each power input (from 10W to 50W):

Calculated temperatures using my model:

For a start, the 50W theoretical temperature is at a lower temperature than the 30 and 40W theoretical temperature.

It's as basic as I can make it so well done if you've actually read it. I'm not expecting or asking you guys for help - again, I'm just venting and ranting
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

I’ll message you tomorrow Cav, I have some experience with control systems and input trims, very basic but once I know what you are trying to achieve I should know where to go for the answers.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Cav wrote:Well I've emailed him anyway.. lets see what he says this time.

I've reached a point where my data doesn't actually make sense. For anyone interested I'll try and explain it as simply as possible...... here goes:

Lab exercise to heat a beaker of water and measure the temperature to create a control system and 'model'. The water was heated with different power inputs (10, 20, 30, 40 & 50 watts).

I followed the structure to creating my own system 'model', put it into Excel and created plots for each power input.

Measured temperatures in degrees C for each power input (from 10W to 50W):

Calculated temperatures using my model:

For a start, the 50W theoretical temperature is at a lower temperature than the 30 and 40W theoretical temperature.

It's as basic as I can make it so well done if you've actually read it. I'm not expecting or asking you guys for help - again, I'm just venting and ranting
Nope lost me!! Image

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

I know it’s probably a daft question, but was your test breaker open topped or pressurised?

Only reason I ask is your 50w test shows a 108°C temp, I was under the impression that it’s difficult to get water above 100° without it being under pressure?

Apologies if I’m being thick btw.
D41

Post by D41 »

Pretty sure that's exactly how a pressure cooker works, but I'm in the same boat....physics was never a strong suit.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Deegee wrote:I know it’s probably a daft question, but was your test breaker open topped or pressurised?

Only reason I ask is your 50w test shows a 108°C temp, I was under the impression that it’s difficult to get water above 100° without it being under pressure?

Apologies if I’m being thick btw.
I wondered that too Deegee, but then it all depends on the size (depth) of the beaker and where the measurement was taken. If it was near the bottom of the beaker with a column of water above it you could feasibly see over 100 deg. And then there is calibration issues to factor in.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Cav

Post by Cav »

So the beaker was open topped containing 50ml of water. Obviously, 50ml isn't a lot so we ensured the thermocouple was fully submerged - however - it would have been very close to the heating element/coil thus I think it picked up that temperature a little bit.

Let's not forget that the entire body of water is never the same temperature otherwise the instant it starts steaming the entire body of water would disappear. The temperature reading is an assumed average of the body of water.

But yeah.. the open topped beaker contained bubbling, steaming and splashing water on top of a desk in a crowded classroom with PCs and other expensive lab equipment on these same desks.. really safe
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

People on the motorway who don't turn there lights on in heavy spray reducing visibility down to 100 metres, which was probably everyone except me and 2 other drivers (swear)
Blade

Post by Blade »

Having to get my winter coat back out.

It's 6 degrees ambient here and lower with wind chill as 40 mph winds.

25 degrees last weekend. Mental (gah)
D41

Post by D41 »

Blade wrote:People on the motorway who don't turn there lights on in heavy spray reducing visibility down to 100 metres, which was probably everyone except me and 2 other drivers (swear)
Is that not the law??

The reason I ask is they made it the law here a few years ago - if your wipers are on then your headlights must also be on. I'd thought they'd copied it from the EU.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Not sure D tbh, but sounds a very good law (y)
Blade

Post by Blade »

Fixing or repairing things. Mostly on subjects I ve had no training or prior experience of, so I have to teach myself as I fault found and sort things out.

I swear well over half my life is primarily fixing things, mainly broken by other people and from time to time it bloody gets me down.

It normally starts with Steve this is broke and then they walk off, expecting by magic it gets fixed, which to be fair it always bloody does so I'm probably my own worst enemy.

I need a drink and a quiet, dark room to chill out me thinks (blush)
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

I can completely identify with that Blade, because I fix large tonka toys at work I’m an instant expert in everyone’s eyes on anything and everything both at home and at work, I’m surprised tbh no MP’s have been round ours so I can fix that too.