What do you want to vent about today?

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Re: What do you want to vent about today?

Post by duke63 »

Punctures in the wife's car. Its the fourth one in just over a year and they wont repair this one as its too close to the sidewall. the second that has resulted in a new tyre.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

duke63 wrote:Punctures in the wife's car. Its the fourth one in just over a year and they wont repair this one as its too close to the sidewall. the second that has resulted in a new tyre.
I feel your pain. In 2 years I've been through 6 tyres on the BMW, the shortest lived was 250 miles. Biggest downside on run flats is they can't be repaired, or even reseated. Never went a car with then again.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

No reason a RFT cannot be repaired Jon and I've had a couple done on my cars by a mate who runs a tyre shop and never had any issues.

A lot of the big national chains wont repair a RFT but that's a decision individually made by them as a company as they dont know how long you ran the tyre deflated for and at what speed. Unfortunately as some people will lie they fear they would be liable if you had an accident which was related to the tyre they repaired so they just have a policy of never repairing a RFT tyre. There is no Rule or Law or Standard saying you cannot repair a RFT any more than you cant repair a none RFT.

My personal view is as long as you know you only ran a short distance at reduced speeds (<50mph) then a RFT tyre can be successfully repaired just the same as a NONE RFT can be. May be find a local tyre shop and have a chat with them.

Hope the info is useful and saves you and Duke some coin (y)
duke63

Post by duke63 »

There are some strange anomalies with punctures.

I have been told the puncture is to close to the tyre wall to be repaired safely ( which actually means to the British standard) yet amazingly you can fill a tyre with that green goo and its apparently OK.

Not only that but cars are allowed to be sold with either of the green goo shit or a space saver spare wheel neither of which strike me as safe. The space saver in the wife's Fiat 500 strikes me as unsafe in anything other than a very warm dry day.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Space-savers don't have the grip of a regular tyre - the reduced contact patch is enough indication of that.

I think the rule-of-thumb is around 100 miles distance, at no more than 50 mph....enough to get you to a tyre shop or get you home. Then throw the fcuker away.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

The space saver on the Fiat, i wouldn't use on a wheelbarrow.
D41

Post by D41 »

Of course not....wheelbarrow alloys are much smaller, and employ a thru-axle design.

Oh wait...Fiat??
You might be in luck.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Blade wrote: May be find a local tyre shop and have a chat with them
I asked a local independent who seems to know his stuff and he said the same, something to do with the compound used as the tyre has to maintain shape with no air in it. Might also be specific to the tyres, I run p-zeros.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
duke63

Post by duke63 »

£60 for a new tyre at Addisons. Apparently Bridgestone run flats can be repaired. Most but not all manufacturers advise against it.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

If the repair plug cannot sit on a flat area of the tyre then it’s unlikely to seal properly which is why the British Standard recommends replacement in such cases. The part of the plug that sits inside the tyre and seals the air Is about 30mm in diameter.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

D6Nutz wrote:
Blade wrote: May be find a local tyre shop and have a chat with them
I asked a local independent who seems to know his stuff and he said the same, something to do with the compound used as the tyre has to maintain shape with no air in it. Might also be specific to the tyres, I run p-zeros.
I've had similar with the F-Type - it came with P-Zero's and tyre place wouldnt plug them at all (this was a couple of years ago mind). Now got Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres on, much better tyre i think. Not run-flats though. It's also got a tyre goop system and no spare, which i suspect wont be much use in a sudden puncture.
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

Do what I did Cookie and get a Jack and a puncture repair kit suitable for cars. I had to use in Ypres on the wifes BMW and got me to a tyre shop for a professional repair. Tbh it would have probably got me home as didnt drop a single psi but i prefered to get a professional repair as soon as possible.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Sneezing

Up until about 30 minutes ago I thought the worst time to sneeze was on a bike in a full face helmet mid corner.... been there done that, wasn’t fun for me or the helmet.

But no.... the worse time to sneeze is within two weeks of spinal surgery, my f**king god it hurt :(
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

Bullies in the workplace.

My first time witnessing it to the point of it making a grown man shake trying to hold in his tears and anger in an open office in front of his 200 colleagues and 350 other members of the workforce.

I'll paint the picture of the bullied person (my colleague). Probably 26/27 years old, clearly Autistic/Aspergers, a hoarder (it does come in handy), brilliantly smart but can sometimes miss the obvious, and like 99% of ASD he doesn't cope great with sudden change nor confrontation. My colleague does not keep a tidy desk, however, he does make an effort to compartmentalise everything.

Now - the situation.

Our Operations Manager conducts a safety tour of the office quarterly, my colleague dreads these tours as he always gets a hard time and until today I've been reluctant to say that he is bullied - targeted, yes - bullied, probably not. Today was different. The Op Manager made a beeline for my colleague out of the entire 200-strong division and went straight to an accusation tone of rhetorical questioning. Now, this manager is VERY difficult to read and I never feel comfortable around him; he laughs when he's serious and he's serious when he laughs - but he's never the same every time. He's quick-firing questions at my colleague who's trying to answer and explain. He asks questions that aren't directly affecting the situation to throw my colleague off and then he'll go straight back to the quick-fire questions again. He then lets my colleague speak up and he manages to explain succinctly that he is working on a project which has blown up (quite literally) and he has deadlines to meet before we can no longer produce our product (tooling broke, no historic data, colleague is starting from scratch/reverse engineering).

"I'm struggling with this work" he nearly shouts at the manager before you see his face change to pure raw emotion. He's trembling and visibly shaking, somehow holding in his tears but no longer able to say anything. The operation manager goes back to questioning him again and just bombarding him with more questions and accusations while my colleague is barely holding it together.

My colleague sees me looking at him and did that look of resignation; the one where you simultaneously widen your eyes, shake your head and raise both hands. This continued for a few more minutes before the manager moved on to my desk and left the area.

Once the manager was out of ear shot I asked my colleague if he wanted to go for a walk and grab a coffee which helped to calm him down after about 15 minutes. The really sad thing is, for the remaining 2 hours of the afternoon, he was repeatedly shaking and trying so hard not to cry.

Not to make it all about it (because it really isn't) but I have never felt so uncomfortable at work. I wanted to help him but I know it wouldn't have helped in the long run so instead, I privately emailed my manager (who was in a meeting at the time) to let him know briefly what happened and that he should take my colleague out of the office for a while to discuss things with him.

I hope our manager supports him, otherwise we will be losing a very valuable team member.
Cav
Your Bike: 2009 ZX6R

Post by Cav »

I'm sorry the above is so long... it's been bothering me so much I haven't been able to do any uni work and I needed to let it out.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

That really sucks. There's no need for it.
D41

Post by D41 »

Cav wrote:I'm sorry the above is so long... it's been bothering me so much I haven't been able to do any uni work and I needed to let it out.
I'm sorry too, Cav.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

I’ve come across this in a workplace years ago, the person concerned left after he grabbed the bully by the throat and gave him a good scare, the bullying restarted and went unchecked until the company lost half a dozen good people and the business hit the rocks. It was bought and the new owner sorted the bully out in a week. It’s just the will to want to do something about it that’s needed.

Any good speaking to HR about it Cav?
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Cav wrote:Bullies in the workplace.

My first time witnessing it to the point of it making a grown man shake trying to hold in his tears and anger in an open office in front of his 200 colleagues and 350 other members of the workforce.

I'll paint the picture of the bullied person (my colleague). Probably 26/27 years old, clearly Autistic/Aspergers, a hoarder (it does come in handy), brilliantly smart but can sometimes miss the obvious, and like 99% of ASD he doesn't cope great with sudden change nor confrontation. My colleague does not keep a tidy desk, however, he does make an effort to compartmentalise everything.

Now - the situation.

Our Operations Manager conducts a safety tour of the office quarterly, my colleague dreads these tours as he always gets a hard time and until today I've been reluctant to say that he is bullied - targeted, yes - bullied, probably not. Today was different. The Op Manager made a beeline for my colleague out of the entire 200-strong division and went straight to an accusation tone of rhetorical questioning. Now, this manager is VERY difficult to read and I never feel comfortable around him; he laughs when he's serious and he's serious when he laughs - but he's never the same every time. He's quick-firing questions at my colleague who's trying to answer and explain. He asks questions that aren't directly affecting the situation to throw my colleague off and then he'll go straight back to the quick-fire questions again. He then lets my colleague speak up and he manages to explain succinctly that he is working on a project which has blown up (quite literally) and he has deadlines to meet before we can no longer produce our product (tooling broke, no historic data, colleague is starting from scratch/reverse engineering).

"I'm struggling with this work" he nearly shouts at the manager before you see his face change to pure raw emotion. He's trembling and visibly shaking, somehow holding in his tears but no longer able to say anything. The operation manager goes back to questioning him again and just bombarding him with more questions and accusations while my colleague is barely holding it together.

My colleague sees me looking at him and did that look of resignation; the one where you simultaneously widen your eyes, shake your head and raise both hands. This continued for a few more minutes before the manager moved on to my desk and left the area.

Once the manager was out of ear shot I asked my colleague if he wanted to go for a walk and grab a coffee which helped to calm him down after about 15 minutes. The really sad thing is, for the remaining 2 hours of the afternoon, he was repeatedly shaking and trying so hard not to cry.

Not to make it all about it (because it really isn't) but I have never felt so uncomfortable at work. I wanted to help him but I know it wouldn't have helped in the long run so instead, I privately emailed my manager (who was in a meeting at the time) to let him know briefly what happened and that he should take my colleague out of the office for a while to discuss things with him.

I hope our manager supports him, otherwise we will be losing a very valuable team member.
Exactly this is what I worry about for Byron when he enters the workforce. Good on you for emailing the manager and trying to educate him a bit. Obviously can’t read body language very well else he would’ve been well aware he was causing distress.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Cav wrote:....I hope our manager supports him, otherwise we will be losing a very valuable team member.
Fwiw most of the bullying that I've come across in the workplace has stemmed from at it's core, a person frustrated by their own inadequacy's or failing's who symptomised that inner stress by bullying.
If that is the case here Cav ( & I'd lay good odds that it will be) your Manager may be advised to look very carefully for causation. As Deegee pointed out, unaddressed these sorts of issues can have long reaching consequences.
Imho well done for trying to be a supportive colleague.