What are you doing today ??

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Re: What are you doing today ??

Post by Deegee »

Can't beat a good strong cup of coffee, problem is I can't drink it at the strength I like after 2pm or I don't sleep at 11pm. Strange how it stays in my system for that long.

Been doing errands today, oil for the car, new mirror for mums car, cashing the little fellas money box change in at the bank sorting out the makings for dinner and gave the house a good clean, we've been a couple of weeks arguing about a new vacuum cleaner after the last one died, finally reached a compromise, so the house is filthy and is taking repeated cleaning cycles to sort it. Have got to do everything today as I'm going to a funeral tomoz. Better busy than quiet though.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

I like my coffee really strong.

Judging by my blood pressure reading today it looks like I need to cut back on it again :D
Deegee

Post by Deegee »

Good strong coffee, made on a decent machine, can't beat it! I've been using an Aeropress my sis bought me for my birthday, as long as it's not boiling water it makes good coffee very quickly with no fuss, quite impressed tbh.

http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Deegee wrote:Can't beat a good strong cup of coffee, problem is I can't drink it at the strength I like after 2pm or I don't sleep at 11pm. Strange how it stays in my system for that long.

Been doing errands today, oil for the car, new mirror for mums car, cashing the little fellas money box change in at the bank sorting out the makings for dinner and gave the house a good clean, we've been a couple of weeks arguing about a new vacuum cleaner after the last one died, finally reached a compromise, so the house is filthy and is taking repeated cleaning cycles to sort it. Have got to do everything today as I'm going to a funeral tomoz. Better busy than quiet though.
Sanitaire mate....best vacuum made...they can be pricey, but not ridiculously so.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

D41 wrote:
Deegee wrote:Can't beat a good strong cup of coffee, problem is I can't drink it at the strength I like after 2pm or I don't sleep at 11pm. Strange how it stays in my system for that long.

Sanitaire mate....best vacuum made...they can be pricey, but not ridiculously so.
Dyson is my vote, but D is the carpet professional.

I love my coffee. Morning routine is grinding fresh beans in a conical burr grinder, and brewing up in a 4 shot stainless steel stove top expresso pot. Only drama is I've been dealing with upper gut issues last few years, on and off medication and my love of coffee and chillis is not helping. Got an appointment with a herbalist about it this week as the meds I'm on greatly reduce calcium and magnesium absorption. If anyone else has had experiences with dyspepsia and proton pump inhibitors I'd be keen to hear any advice.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

I have used proton pump inhibitors on and off for the last 10 years. I had a spate of heartburn that was agony.

I wouldn't recommend using them all the time. They mess with the make up of your gut and the good bacteria therein.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

I suspect your strong coffee may be one of the causes, KK. I know it does that with me.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I'm cutting back on my coffee. 2 cups a day now. Oolong tea for the rest of the day.
beermonster
Your Bike: Between two wheeled victims

Post by beermonster »

I've been on a proton pump inhibitor since starting on the steroids at Easter. To be honest not had an issue with them....the alendronic acid I take once a week as a bone protector however is a different story!
Deegee

Post by Deegee »

Just got back from the funeral of the fella along our road, standing room only. The coffin came in to the sound of "Blueberry Hill" and out to "Red Sails in the sunset", both by Fats Domino. 8)

I've known him for 20yrs and only knew half of the stuff about this guy. His Dad was killed accidentally by the allies in the war, went to sea on a fishing boat at 12, he served as one of the top snipers in Korea, he took his Masters ticket in the Dutch Merchant Marine, he loved the horses, bowling, dirty jokes, red wine and rock & roll. He was a proper character and a great guy.

Henk you'll be sadly missed mate. ;(
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

It sounds like he had a full life, which is all any of us can ask for.
D41

Post by D41 »

Sounds like a fascinating man......RIP to your friend.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

RIP to your friend. But what a life he lead he can't say he didn't do anything with his life!
duke63

Post by duke63 »

beermonster wrote:I've been on a proton pump inhibitor since starting on the steroids at Easter. To be honest not had an issue with them....the alendronic acid I take once a week as a bone protector however is a different story!
Strangely i was talking about them today with a client whose wife is recovering from a cancer op.

She has been taking them to reduce the effects of the steroids on her stomach but apparently they can affect the amount of magnesium your body can uptake.

She has been told to stop taking them as she is seriously magnesium-deficient.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

duke63 wrote:I have used proton pump inhibitors on and off for the last 10 years. I had a spate of heartburn that was agony.

I wouldn't recommend using them all the time. They mess with the make up of your gut and the good bacteria therein.
I don't want to be on them all the time either for all the reasons that have been mentioned. In the last five years I've had cause to be on them on three occasions. Generally I go a couple of months and stop, cutting out coffee and other possible irritants while I do it. Also flushing with plenty of water after meals. Unfortunately this last time I've been on them 6 months, tried twice to stop and within a week I've been crippled by the pain again. I went 2 months without coffee and it didn't seem to help. I'm drinking one a day again now as my recent work regime has been a bit full in with the shutdown and extra time I've done out there. I know stress is a big factor, and life here still isn't A1. Hopefully seeing the herbalist today so see how that goes.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
D41

Post by D41 »

Wow....everyone has high blood pressure it seems??

I pretty much cut coffee out over a year ago - I'll take a cup if I go out for breakfast, but that's about it, and two cups is always my limit....cut down on the cigs, and obviously the alcohol....it's gotten better, but still not where it should be.
I have meds, but frankly I'm reluctant to take them as they make me drowsy...and TBH they don't make that much difference.....my BP fluctuates a lot.
Deegee

Post by Deegee »

D41 wrote:Wow....everyone has high blood pressure it seems??

I pretty much cut coffee out over a year ago - I'll take a cup if I go out for breakfast, but that's about it, and two cups is always my limit....cut down on the cigs, and obviously the alcohol....it's gotten better, but still not where it should be.
I have meds, but frankly I'm reluctant to take them as they make me drowsy...and TBH they don't make that much difference.....my BP fluctuates a lot.
Despite the fact I like a decent cup of coffee, a drink on a daily basis and the occasional fry up, my bp is pretty much spot on at 75/120, last time my cholesterol was checked it was 4.1 iirc, plus I was asked to attend an over 50 (my first btw) health clinic for a lifestyle assessment, I was told I was in the bottom 5% of the population at risk of heart problems etc.
I assume that's some form of compensation for the fact I've been bone skinny all my life and have prematurely worn out my hip joints, forcing me into replacements. Having said that though, I'm not unhappy with my body, it's done fairly well considering what I've done to on occasion. :D
D41

Post by D41 »

Interesting......last physical I had, my doc told me I had the 2nd highest level of good cholesterol he'd ever seen. That goes both ways....also means my 'bad' cholesterol is up there....his words were "whatever you're doing, it's right!"....I guess I eat healthy....not a particularly conscious choice on my part, but I find the older I get, the pickier I am when it comes to eating.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

Working late again |(

Starting to get fed up with this now.. Still meeting tomorrow with the managers to decide whether I want the contract to have a future.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
Deegee

Post by Deegee »

Sounds like time for a renegotiation?