Workshop and what to do with it.

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
bb41
Your Bike: GSXR750

Workshop and what to do with it.

Post by bb41 »

I'm just waiting to exchange contracts on a house which has a 40 ft x 30 ft concrete workshop (obviously not signed and sealed yet), but I think people are wanting to move in approx 4 weeks time.

I'm not sure how to make the best use of this building. It has electric and water and is a good solid build. My first thoughts were to offer it to rent to someone who may want to start a small bike maintenance business, but obviously an investment is needed and as I am limited in knowledge at the more mechanical side of things I could be open to being ripped off if not careful.

Next as it's coming into winter I thought I could buy some bikes which need minimal work, i.e. new MOT , tyres etc and sell for a small profit.

It seems such a shame leaving it empty. I was looking at renting it for storage but the idea doesn't appeal much.

Anyone any thoughts ?
Live each day as your last as one day you'll be right !!
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Re: Workshop and what to do with it.

Post by Blade »

I would use it as my own workshop and fill it with my own bikes and projects tbh. O dream of owning something like that.

If its big enough could you section half off for your use and half for rental ? Assuming you want the rental income. Maybe the best of both worlds, a win win.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

Whereabouts are you going to be?

Take a look at the deeds to make sure it can be used for business purposes. Then check with your insurance company to find out what the costs are likely to be.

It might be easier and more convenient to rent it out. You can get a seperate meter for the gas, water and electricity.
DaytonAndy
Your Bike: Daytona 675R

Post by DaytonAndy »

Problem solved: rent it to Blade chickenstrips
bb41

Post by bb41 »

It was used for rent before by previous owners until the husband died , and my own workshop will be indoors (I'm too much on a namby pamby to work outside) It is on separate meters so it's geared up, but I thought it might be useful for someone wishing to start up as the rent would be made so as it is affordable.
I'm not putting into my budgeting costs as I can manage without if needs be , would be nice though having a bit extra.

Problem is it's semi remote so not sure if the location would put people off as it's not on a main road.

It was a dairy farm so I seem to have rather more outbuildings than I need .

Blade I'm afraid it's what happens when you get old and retire out of the rat race, wish I was young enough to be part of it but now it is all too fast a lifestyle for me to keep up

Sods law isn't when your young and need a bit extra to fulfil all that energy it's not so readily available and when you get older you're burnt out trying to have what you needed a lot earlier .

Obviously my bikes would go in there for storage but then I'd probably prefer them closer to the main house .

i would possibly do an all insuring and repairing lease if possible
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

turn it into a pub !
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

A Tankslap cake shop
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Rent it out if you can and it'll help support your business during start up or if times get thin or as part of a pension when you retire, I'd put an advert in the local post office or shop window with a mobile number to contact you on. Generally in rural areas there's no shortage of buildings to rent due to hard times in farming, but you might strike lucky, even with a small rent it'll be someone else about on the property which is good in a remote area.
bb41

Post by bb41 »

Perkles I have had enough of running a pub, talk about long hours 7 days a week. I'm too old for that caper :D

The coffee shop was an area of interest as it is near some stunning biking roads, it also has a holiday cottage as well but not sure if it would actually appeal. It's getting the name out there and forums do not like self promoting and to make it pay I'd have to do a lot of that during the spring and summer.

I am buying the place as it has no neighbours , well one I think down the road a bit one way and a farm the same distance the other. The cow shed is coming down as it blocks the view .

I'd like to promote the cottage if it goes through available to bikers preferably (less whingey and more appreciative set of people) I could have secure bike storage in the stables and people who have dogs . I tend to think both sets are usually quite affable.

After having a pub with letting rooms before it's the ones who have neither of the above who used to really get on my nerves and expect 5 star service at rock bottom prices. I once had the bomb disposal squad as regular customers who ate and drank well :D

But it still the workshop which is not fulfilling it's potential, it would help if it wasn't quite so big , oh and at the minute it's pink (shocked) in fact everything has been painted bloody pink
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I am more than happy to help promote any of your business ideas and businesses (and that goes for anyone on tankslap) just don't run off when you've got what you want out of me like others have in the past ........... :x

In all seriousness if you do anything biking related I will do whatever I can to help out. I've always said that the purpose of Tankslap was to build up a biking community where we helped each other out where possible.
Perkles
Your Bike:

Post by Perkles »

the worlds smallest lap dancing emporium ! :D
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

By small I hope you mean in size of venue. I don't want to turn up and see you and Bratty in thongs.
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

Kwacky wrote:By small I hope you mean in size of venue. I don't want to turn up and see you and Bratty in thongs.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

What a horrific mental image that is. Image

I'm off to get some mind bleach....
bb41

Post by bb41 »

Kwacky that's very kind of you and thank you.

The cafe was one of my original plans but thought I would be pandering to my own wants rather than from a more economically sound venture .

I think it could work and if all goes through I could possibly section it off into parts rather than keeping it whole. It's very tall so I could double the space and subject to change of use could make an upstairs , who knows but if I do move there I know people on here will point me in the right direction.

It's difficult on your own and not having anyone to sound off your thoughts and ideas and get good quality feed back
bb41

Post by bb41 »

Oh and it's about 12 miles from Carmarthen
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

I know there's a lot of pisstaking on here but I do think we've got a core of very considerate people who are always more than happy to help each other out. So feel free to use this to sound out your ideas.

Roughly what's your location? If you go down the catering route I presume it's going to be very seasonal so you need to look at other streams of revenue. Do you have any space for camping? Could any of the buildings house a shower room or changing room or something like that?
bb41

Post by bb41 »

It has a 3 acre paddock and plenty of outbuildings to turn into a shower block, it's finding quality workman as I will be new to the area and about 160 miles from where I am now so not always easy to find good builders
Yes totally seasonal but possibly be a good time during colder months to update each year
Blade
Your Bike: Kawasaki ZX10R

Post by Blade »

DaytonAndy wrote:Problem solved: rent it to Blade chickenstrips
If its near manchester, I'll have it for sure (y)
bb41

Post by bb41 »

More than welcome Blade to if not rent but come and stay if ever passing my way, extended to everyone
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

Dungeon (devil)