Work related oddities

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Work related oddities

Post by Kwacky »

Reading Mac's post about the woman in Court reminded me of one case.

A man was involved in a very serious car crash. He's looking at prison when it gets to crown court. One of the charges against him is driving without insurance.

He's late for his first appearance so he takes his mother's car and parks it outside the court. Next to the police who arrested him (facepalm) Another driving without insurance charge.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Re: Work related oddities

Post by Rossgo »

People have no sense. Although I did hear one story from my girlfriend. One of her work buddies was driving his mums car to his work and he got pulled over - no insurance for this car but had insurance for his own one (which he had totalled a couple days before)

He claimed that he was unaware that he was not allowed to drive other vehicles because he mum said when you have fully comp insurance your allowed too, he did not check his own insurance documents. (This guy was 17 just passed and was driving around in a massive range rover or something plus a car accident) Lucky the old bill pulled him over. Stupid idiot could of killed someone.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

Come on....that's no big deal....you can't have the attitude like that, that's what has created the nanny-state society we now live in....you can't have it both ways.

$0.02.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Iirc (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), but most insurance policies I've had allow you to drive another vehicle as long as you have the owners permission, however you will only be insured for third party damage whilst in charge of the vehicle.

P.S. That's driving another car on a car policy and riding another bike on a bike policy.
D41

Post by D41 »

Same here, that's what I always thought??

Or at least it used to be that way.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

If he's 17 he's probably too young. A lot of policies only have that DOC (driving other vehicles cover) for over 25s
D41

Post by D41 »

Yeah, but a lot do....I had mine at 19.
Sounds like a misunderstanding on his mother's part.
bb41
Your Bike: GSXR750

Post by bb41 »

Sadly I'm a stupid mother as well.

About 8 years ago, my daughter didn't have a car for a week, so foolishly I leant her my one I use for carting the dogs around so nothing flash.

She had fully comp and so did I . She took her nipper to school and was caught the first day. Police impounded the car , left her at the side of the road and she had to walk to get home.

I was furious and called the station and took all policies with me. No joy and had a court date.

Apparently unless the policy states that you are allowed to drive another vehicle then you are not insured even 3rd party . What a bugger. In my day you were always covered if you had fully comp on another vehicle.

150.00 to get the car out of the pound. 100.00 fine and 6 points on her licence :-(
Live each day as your last as one day you'll be right !!
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

There are plenty of clueless criminals round here.

Like the **** who was arrested after the working mens club was broken into in the middle of the night.......... and the police followed his footprints back to his home through the snow.
D6
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1050SE a bit DEAD + S3 RS

Post by D6 »

Yeah, well my snowman flew off, and I had no other way to get home.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Who reads their certificates here!! It quiet clearly states the information whether you are allowed or not haha!! The guy sounded like a t#@t in my honest opinion he can damage his car (totalled it and his mum handed over her keys!!) No way it must say if your allowed or not!!
Itchy
Your Bike: Kawasaki Z1000

Post by Itchy »

Rossgo wrote:Who reads their certificates here!! It quiet clearly states the information whether you are allowed or not haha!! The guy sounded like a t#@t in my honest opinion he can damage his car (totalled it and his mum handed over her keys!!) No way it must say if your allowed or not!!
I'm with you man. It's one of the first things I check on my policy (so that I can have a go on other people's bikes!). Why wouldn't you check your documents?

I can't do it with cars though as I'm a named driver on my wife's policy. Although there are one or two companies that do allow that, apparently.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Sounds like a confusing insurance system. In Aussie and NZ the car is insured, not the person. So it doesn't matter whoever drives it. Although, you can get a cheaper policy if you nominate only over 25's, and list nominated drivers. Still insured if a driver is that other than nominated, you just pay a higher excess in that case.

So if I drive anyone elses car/bike, I just check they have it insured, and mainly for the third party liabilty concern.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
Kwacky

Post by Kwacky »

That's the best way to do it in my opinion.

New Zealand insurance is pretty good. I like the "no fault" claims system they use.
StMarks
Your Bike: Daytona 675 graphite

Post by StMarks »

Deegee wrote:Iirc (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), but most insurance policies I've had allow you to drive another vehicle as long as you have the owners permission, however you will only be insured for third party damage whilst in charge of the vehicle.

P.S. That's driving another car on a car policy and riding another bike on a bike policy.
I believe that this only applies if the vehicle is already insured itself. Rossgo's post suggests that it wasn't.
And as Kwacky pointed out, apparently not all policies have DOC these days.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Post by Deegee »

Apologies - yes as StM said its only when the said vehicle is already insured.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

I double check everything. On the ZX6R the insurance came through as a 636.when mine was a 600...was unsure how important that minor detail was but I got them to change it...was lucky to be honest a few months later it got nicked and I know my luck they would of voided my insurance because of it haha!

Kwacky is right it is not a given if you have fully comp it does not mean you are just entitled to driver anyone's vehicle lol! My girlfriends parents are the worst they are so stubborn I'm sure they will get someone in trouble!!
C00kiemonster
Your Bike: Triumph Street Triple 765 R

Post by C00kiemonster »

kiwikrasher wrote:Sounds like a confusing insurance system. In Aussie and NZ the car is insured, not the person. So it doesn't matter whoever drives it. Although, you can get a cheaper policy if you nominate only over 25's, and list nominated drivers. Still insured if a driver is that other than nominated, you just pay a higher excess in that case.

So if I drive anyone elses car/bike, I just check they have it insured, and mainly for the third party liabilty concern.
Same in France. Works really well and they tend to bundle European breakdown and European insurance as part of it and then just use a sliding scale of excess depending on who is driving the car. I much prefer it and there are far less uninsured drivers from what I understand.
Rossgo
Your Bike:

Post by Rossgo »

Why doesn't the UK follow suit!? Oz and NZ seem a lot easier than here
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Rossgo wrote:Why doesn't the UK follow suit!? Oz and NZ seem a lot easier than here
Move dude! I need some riding buddies (lol)
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.