The Gentlemans' sport of rugby

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

The Gentlemans' sport of rugby

Post by Kwacky »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/29593523" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Did anyone see the assault during the recent rugby league game? it's bad enough to lash out at a player but then to follow him to the floor to finish him off is the sort of thing you expect to see at kicking out time not during a professional game.
Deegee
Your Bike: Daytona 675 & Tiger 900

Re: The Gentlemans' sport of rugby

Post by Deegee »

I'm a lifetime Rugby lover, incidents like this have no place in the game and although this is league not Union I suspect the games governing body will come down hard on this incident, a seasons ban is a realistic punishment.

It's bad enough that parents see rugby as too rough for their children, then incidents like his come along and verify all the things people imagine happens on a weekly basis. It doesn't, despite the obviously more physical aspect than football it can be a game that brings discipline to boisterous lads and teaches them respect, whereas local youth football matches seem to have potty mouthed children playing, supported by vile foul mouthed parents. The fact that boys are coached into falling "correctly" to make sure a foul is awarded to them only confirms my mistrust and dislike of football and it's ethos of win at all costs fair or foul. I've attended boys rugby for years and find nothing but fair play and positive encouragement from the parents, something footie could do well to emulate.

Sorry if this turned into an anti football rant, it wasn't meant to be, but a lifetime of the sport I love being overlooked in favour of a money orientated, blatantly corrupt game has given me a bit of a chip on my shoulder about Rugby being called into disrepute, albeit on an infrequent basis. Apologies, DG.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

My neighbour is Scottish....we were just talking yesterday about how massive soccer has become in the US over the last 10-15 years....it really has become very popular.

Rugby, not so much.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Post by duke63 »

The player needs arresting for what he did, not just banning.

I don't get the Rugby as a Gentleman's Sport, sorry.

I've been to enough sportsman's dinners where the guest speaker is an international rugby player to know that their behaviour is as bad if not worse than your average footballer, off the pitch.
D6Nutz
Your Bike: Speed Triple 1200 RS

Post by D6Nutz »

duke63 wrote:The player needs arresting for what he did, not just banning.

Interesting you should say that. I was listening to the story on radio 1 and was thinking the same, the commentary was explaining that the clubs where really trying to keep the police out. It's wrong in my eyes, even though it was carried out on the pitch it's still assault.
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

D6Nutz wrote: even though it was carried out on the pitch it's still assault.
Precisely!

It does not make it right, it does not justify it for a minute....I get so tired of people thinking that a sports field (or it's surrounding area) is somehow off limits to decency.