Cookiemonster - he means you

For all the none biking stuff. Say hello, chew the fat or flame the forum.
duke63
Your Bike: Ducati 748/853 & Triumph Street Triple 765RS

Re: Cookiemonster - he means you

Post by duke63 »

Out of curiosity how many of you know what the European Human Rights Charter actually says?

I must confess i didn't until the other day and i suspect those who want it abolished would rather you didn't know what it says.
D41
Your Bike: Triumph Daytona 650.

Post by D41 »

I did, but quite frankly I've been away so long I've forgotten.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

duke63 wrote:Out of curiosity how many of you know what the European Human Rights Charter actually says?

I must confess i didn't until the other day and i suspect those who want it abolished would rather you didn't know what it says.
Apart from the 6 months I spent doing a unit on European Law as a unit for my law degree............

Not much :P
D41

Post by D41 »

I think it's all too easy to deride the EU....I personally have always seen it as France & Germany's attempt to create a "United States Of Europe", and TBH I think it was doomed from the start....there's just too many language & cultural barriers to overcome.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

In case anybody doesn't know, these are the rights which are protected
by the European Convention on Human Rights:
1. Right to life
2. Freedom from torture and inhuman or degrading treatment
3. Right to liberty and security
4. Freedom from slavery and forced labour
5. Right to a fair trial
6. No punishment without law
7. Respect for your private and family life, home and correspondence
8. Freedom of thought, belief and religion
9. Freedom of expression
10. Freedom of assembly and association
11. Right to marry and start a family
12. Protection from discrimination in respect of these rights and freedoms
13. Right to peaceful enjoyment of your property
14. Right to education
15. Right to participate in free elections

And in full:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_C ... man_Rights" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can see why some politicians might not want you to have these rights.
kiwikrasher
Your Bike: ‘16 Thruxton R. '10 Multistrada 1200 S.

Post by kiwikrasher »

Kwacky wrote:Cheers for that Kiwi. Good read.

Lots of anti immigration people use Australia as an example. It's nice to have some ammo to return the fire.
Illegal boat people from Asia, whom are prominently Middle Eastern or Pakistani and paying thousands to smugglers to circumvent the system, are a major problem a and political hot subject here. The have offshore detention camps on Easter Island and now a Pacific island. The issue of children in detention especially troubling. The processing time is biggest issue and riots/deaths are becoming more prevalent. We have even had a boat load turn up at the Offshore Platform I work on. They got tied up to our wave buoy until Aussie customs came and got them.

I agree to taking genuine refugees, but so many play the system. There seems to be no easy answer.
Happiness is not a destination. It is a way of life.
duke63

Post by duke63 »

The definition of a refugee should make it relatively easy for cutoms/immigration officials to make the right decision.

A refugee is a person who is outside their home country because they have suffered (or feared) persecution on account of race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or because they are a member of a persecuted social category of persons or because they are fleeing a war. Such a person may be called an 'asylum seeker' until recognized by the state where they make a claim.
Kwacky
Your Bike: Brutale 800RR, 1000SX Ninja

Post by Kwacky »

with over a 100 wars going on at present you can see why it's difficult to find the real refugees.
D41

Post by D41 »

100?....really??

Well I live in "illegal-central"....although oddly enough Mexico is vicious towards people entering it's own country from Central America....they're absolutely brutal.

With the US it's almost a waste of time having a border....my old helper got busted and deported....he was back 4 days later - cost him a couple of grand, but our border is pretty easy to defeat....hell, people have even offered me money to bring family members past the checkpoint (I hasten to add I didn't take up the offer).

We have a staggered checkpoint system.....there's the obvious border checkpoint, and then more further on....up to 100 miles inside the US.
Again, it's similar to the Argentine claim on the Falklands...although perhaps with more legitimacy, seeing as much of this place did actually belong to Mexico at one point.
And maybe still does.....where I live is almost all Hispanic......perhaps 80%...the schools are even more....it doesn't bother me - I think they are a charming people at times....I look Latino, and the poxy accent I've acquired over the years....well, they seem to like it.